ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-08-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
That changed and now ACOs are specifically noted in the law as PSOs, but only if assaulted.
Does that mean if you can get someone to assault you upon retirement that you'll get a PSO retirement?
Old 05-08-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

1. Create multiple level / tiered certification for ACO's
2. Place ACO training under the states POST commission.
3. Classify ACO's as a special constable at a minimum, and recognize that it is a
law enforcement position.
4. MDT in the vehicle with the same access rights as patrol.
5. Consolidate part time ACO's under the county sheriff.
7. Actually de-certify ACO's who haven't met the continuing education
requirements.

As far as recognizing ACO's as LEO's when assaulted, the law here covers all govt. workers regardless of there job. As long as they were acting in an official capacity.
Old 05-09-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
It is now in Oregon after an ACO in Hood River County was assaulted some years ago. When the DA charged it as Assault on a Public Safety Officer and the perp was convicted but reversed on appeal as the court found that ACOs are NOT PSOs by statute. That changed and now ACOs are specifically noted in the law as PSOs, but only if assaulted.

PSO? Police services officer? I am technically a PSO assigned to ACO duties. I do a lot of the "grunt" work for the sworn officers but I have fun with it. Jail runs, booking, searches and non injury accidents.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-09-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

PSO (Public Safety Officer)
Old 05-17-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

Jayscritters is on a distinguished road

Get rid of this stupid cop uniform thet I have to wear. If your not gonna give me the authority to do my job or back me up when I want someone arrested, then gid rid of this uniform so when I go knock on some savages door for his dog barking, his brother or homie who has a warrant -doesn't shoot me because I look like a cop.
Old 05-18-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Safety was the “official” reason the majority of the DF/W ACOs were taken out of PD style uniforms 20+ years ago. I suspect it had more to do with the cops being offended that the dawg kachur looked like they did, but I’ll go with safety. Even with a light blue polo and khaki pants, people still mistook me for a cop because of the shiny little badge I had on my belt.
Old 05-18-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I suspect it had more to do with the cops being offended that the dawg kachur looked like they did,
That has a lot to do with it. I now work at a police station. Before I worked with a large animal control agency. Now, I wear light blue polo's, have amber lights instead of my red and blue and the sworn refuse to call me me officer. They like me and all, got my back but I am defiantly not one of "them".

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-18-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
That has a lot to do with it. I now work at a police station. Before I worked with a large animal control agency. Now, I wear light blue polo's, have amber lights instead of my red and blue and the sworn refuse to call me me officer. They like me and all, got my back but I am defiantly not one of "them".

Cheers, Scooterchic
Most of the townships in NJ are the same way and refuse to call us officers as well. That is where they got in trouble recently. The ACO with the criminal record never had a background check done since they did not consider ACOs as officers. Now, they know better and are now making it mandatory in that township to background check the ACOs before hire. I mentioned it to State that I thought is was mandatory. As a vet. (oh, that's right, some of the people don't like us to use the title doctor since we work on animals...LOL), I would assume that someone wearing an ACO uniform would have been background checked since they are going to be exposed at some time to controlled substances at the vet. office, particularly if the vet. has to euthanize an animal. Never thought that an ACO would not be background checked.
Old 05-19-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post

Cheers, Scooterchic
Interesting how such forward thinkers and men of purpose can apparantly still be childish......
Old 05-20-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

I would like managers to listen to those of us in the field and treat us with a bit more respect that we know what were doing, and to ask our opinions on things that directly affect us instead of making decisions on our behalf that are crap.

I'd like some proactivity instead of knee jerk reactions.

I'd like some forward planning and some review of what works and what doesnt.

I'd like the procedures we have on our website to reflect what we actually DO.

I'd like consistency in approach so that we don't do things differently just because the media is baying for blood. Or if we change procedure, that we do it for ALL jobs, not just the ones with a high profile.

I won't be holding my breath.