ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-05-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcop51 View Post
In Texas Penal Code 38.15 (6) is a nice tool to have Iterfering with the Officers duty an officer with responsibility for animal control
in a county or municipality, while the officer is performing a duty
or exercising authority imposed or granted under Chapter 821 or
822, Health and Safety Code.
so i would go with More Pay

In NJ, we have the "interference with an officer in his/her line of duty." The problem is that most municipalities do not enforce it. One municipality would not allow me to charge someone when the person took a 2 x 4 and swung it at a wild animal that I turned loose after it got into someone's garbage cans. (Baby possum in a garbage can, no mother in site.) The man almost hit me with the 2 x 4. I told him to move away and he got in my face yelling and screaming causing a scene. Call PD. Man calmed down quickly and dumped the 2 x 4 before PD came. PD told the man that I had authority to release the animal and to stand aside. No charges brought even though the man was menacing and threatening me.
Old 05-05-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road
Default TX

I have been told by the S.O. we can write that cite
Old 05-05-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I go along with Breal76. We rarely ever check out on the radio (pretty much only if we want to keep track of the number of times we have been there or if we suspect problems), and even at that, the dispatchers don’t always enter dog calls in the system even if we do check out.
I covered a notoriously dangerous municipality last summer. (eg. I was left waiting 40 minutes alone with 5 suspects and a dog off leash that allegedly bit someone while PD was at a shooting around the corner from my location.) I had no forewarning that I was in a really bad district and should not respond alone. As you all know, I am only about 5' 2" and about 94 lbs. There was no place for me to hide out there. I am glad I'm not out there anymore.

As far as location, yikes, I had a Chow Chow RAL with teenagers on bicycles chasing the dog while I was on foot. I only had a cell phone to call in the chase to PD, who never showed up. One of the teens managed to pin the dog against a car with his bicycle. I was not far behind the teens and the dog and managed to get him without incident. The problem was that I left the truck behind and did not know the exact location where I was either (since I just started working that municipality) and PD had no idea where I was since no one wrote down where I abandoned the truck and made a run for it. I started programming my GPS to get me back to the truck (since I also ran around in circles in the dark and lost track of where I was); the teenager realized that I was lost and led me back to the truck where I called PD to assist in loading the dog. (That truck was way too high for me to lift an aggressive dog into the cage by myself.)

Due to some of the dangerous calls I had to go to on my own (one of the people turned out to be crazy and possibly killed his own dog and then claimed someone poisoned his dog), the policy was changed and we had to either call when we got to the scene of the call OR when we left. So either they did not know I arrived or they did not know that I left the scene. It was not set up correctly and I thought it was quite dangerous as well since if my phone was not on me, I had no way to communicate. (Most of the time, I kept the phone on me but there was one call where I was leaning into the sewer drain with PD and my phone could have fallen so I locked everything in the truck. I had called in and told them I was at the scene with PD; when an emergency call came through (child bitten by dog) that took priority, they called PD since I did not answer (they had their radios on) and it was relayed to me. A few officers were assisting as well and had to take off their radios to prevent them from falling into the sewer as well but enough were around to hear the call.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 05-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
I covered a notoriously dangerous municipality last summer. (eg. I was left waiting 40 minutes alone with 5 suspects and a dog off leash that allegedly bit someone while PD was at a shooting around the corner from my location.) I had no forewarning that I was in a really bad district and should not respond alone. As you all know, I am only about 5' 2" and about 94 lbs. There was no place for me to hide out there.
At least you're a small target; try being 6'3" and 210...
Old 05-05-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Ha! Ha! Ha! That is funny! You reminded me of my first "surprise attack". I told one of my ACO ride-along trainers that I had broken free from someone who grabbed me that was about your height, though lighter in weight. My trainer thought it was funny and did not think that I really did fight back but that the guy let go because he knew me and overstepped his boundry. My trainer grabbed me from behind in a choke hold. I was with two male vets. at a conference regarding emergency animal care (open to vets., ACOs and others in the animal field). At first, I thought it was a joke since I've had friends grab me from behind playfully and then let go. When I tried to speak, the person tightened their grip on me to the point that I was choking. I broke his grip and "went for him" if you know what I mean. Since I am small, as acofred mentioned, I could not push his arm away completely but managed to make a space large enough for me to slip my head between my hand and his arm, before I conterattacked.

Even when I broke his grip, I did not recognize him since it had been months since I did the ride-along and I had not seen him since that day, although I had spoken to him multiple times on the phone. Thank God, he yelled out before I struck him since I recognized his voice and "knocked myself out". (I bent my knee to cause me to hit lower than my intended target.) My hands were moving too fast to stop myself from striking him. That day, I earned the respect of my trainer since he thought, "Yeh right, a petite veterinarian is really going to fight if needed." I think he realized that if you really want to do a job, you will do the job if you can.

Also, if you all remember the game dodge ball, I was a favorite "target" for the guys. Although I could not run fast, I was very small compared to the other kids and I was hard to hit. Lots of fun.
Old 05-06-2011
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

1. MDT
2. Be able to carry my side arm ( not keep it in a lock box til needed ).
3. Vest
4. Same benifits as Sworn Officers (Heart & Lung Act)
5. Pay raise wouldn't hurt.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 05-07-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Same benifits as "mainstream" law enforcement would be nice

We have "interference" codes as well, but the are a city ordinance and never goes far. It is not true to the code either, the only time it is used is when a person refuses to give up a dog we are confiscating.

I have used CA.PC 148 though, which is standard resisiting or delaying (one PD uses) and it has gone through, but someone better be getting hurt for that one or they tried to hurt us and FAILED haha. I usually use my own methods to get cooperation and leave PD out of it, I like them about as much as the person who I am dealing with does. I try to limit my interaction to them transporting someone for me or me assisting them when needed only.
Old 05-07-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Mine would be a state wide thing. If someone assaults an EMT, Firefighter and of course Police officer, it is a felony. An ACO (same assault) its a misdemeanor. That's bull.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-07-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Mine would be a state wide thing. If someone assaults an EMT, Firefighter and of course Police officer, it is a felony. An ACO (same assault) its a misdemeanor. That's bull.

Cheers, Scooterchic
I would need to look into it but I am pretty sure if I'm assaulted on the job it's a felony. Which is why all Officers are commissioned.
Old 05-07-2011
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

It is now in Oregon after an ACO in Hood River County was assaulted some years ago. When the DA charged it as Assault on a Public Safety Officer and the perp was convicted but reversed on appeal as the court found that ACOs are NOT PSOs by statute. That changed and now ACOs are specifically noted in the law as PSOs, but only if assaulted.