ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-21-2009
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOBGR08 View Post
How many here have had the pre-exposure rabies vac? I havent had it and no one has even mentioned it at my work. should i be concerned? is it something normally provided by the employer or is it up to me to get?
I received mine after a couple months on the job, about 2 years ago. My agency payed for the vaccination.

I'm fortunate that I live in an area where there hasn't been a reported case of rabies in a dog in for a long time, and is very minimal in exposure. However, because of our profession we are put in a situation where we are more likely to come into contact with an animal infected by the virus. You should definitely get this vaccination; especially if you have a more serious problem with the rabies virus in your area.
Old 03-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Also, along those lines, carry a copy of your State's protocol for post-exposure vaccination for people previously vaccinated. I was exposed to a rabid cat last May that was brought in by two of the ACOs that I work with. The cat spit in my face as I was trying to get my technician to let go of the cat when the cat turned on him. My ACO trainers had warned me that medical doctors often don't know how to deal with people that are already vaccinated against the rabies virus prior to exposure. I was told to carry a copy of the protocol in my car. I brought the protocol to the hospital and was told by the attending physician, "Oh good. I'm glad you brought the protocol with you since I did not know how to treat you." (In NJ, the protocol is 2 injections given 3 days apart if previously vaccinated.) The vaccines have to be ordered as a set specific for the person that needs to be vaccinated so the doctor needs to know which protocol to follow before starting treatment in order to ask for the appropriate number of doses for the person.
Old 03-26-2009
Forum Friend

Krypto is on a distinguished road

I thought it was standard for all aco's to get pre-exposure shots... due to the nature of our jobs I believe the employer is responsible for the covering the costs associated with the vaccine. It is like not giving a welder his welding gloves.
Old 03-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
I thought it was standard for all aco's to get pre-exposure shots... due to the nature of our jobs I believe the employer is responsible for the covering the costs associated with the vaccine. It is like not giving a welder his welding gloves.
I wish my employers felt that way.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 03-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
Well, kudos on the optimistic view of humanity!! Unfortunately, there's a whole 'nother database to develop: what is the "normal" amount of support and benefits for employees in AC work.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-26-2009
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

Support and benefits???? Ah Winnie, you crack me up!
Old 03-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Laughter ... it's good for the soul.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)