ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-04-2008
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit

I got my 5 post exposure shots and I didn't have any bad side effects.

~Edmund Burke
Old 12-05-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPD336 View Post
I still need to get mine. I asked my doctor about it and he had never heard there was a vac for it. Just the after exposure shots.
If the local health department doesn't have them, try asking your doctor or the hospital where the nearest travel clinic is...the vax are often recommended for people who are going on an extended trip to rabies-endemic countries such as India or China. Or contact a university that has a vet school-most (all, even?) schools require their students to receive the vaccinations before they are allowed to start working on animals.

If your agency won't/can't cover it, try talking to your insurance provider-if you have an annual 'preventative care' allowance, you might be able to convince them to let you use it to help cover the cost of the series. I have a $350.00 annual allowance that I never use, and they agreed that in my line of work the pre-exposure did constitute preventative care.

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 12-05-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgill View Post
mention it to your supervisor... you SHOULD get one... Just in case, find out if your insurance company covers the Vax
I know a vet tech at the shelter who described her job to her Dr. The Dr. then convinced her insurance company to pay for the vaccine. I wish I had the verbage he used.
Old 12-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
I still need to get mine. I asked my doctor about it and he had never heard there was a vac for it. Just the after exposure shots.
Along those lines, I was told by my ACO trainers to always carrying the State's recommendations for post-exposure vaccination of any person previously vaccinated. I was exposed to a rabid cat and needed to get the post-exposure vaccine treatment (2 doses according to NJ protocols). Luckily, I went home and got my ACO notes out and took them with me to the hospital. The doctor's first words for me were "Oh, good. I'm glad you brought your notes with you. I would not have known how to treat you."

That really shook up my confidence in the doctor. It is bad enough not to know how to treat someone. It is worse to admit that to the patient as the patient is counting on you to properly take care of them.
Old 12-05-2008
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

the first shelter i worked for didn't require it. And although i've been with this agency for a while now, i am required to have it, but haven't gotten it yet. Although they are getting ready to make everyone go down and get it. And as far aswhat people have been telling me, it's really not as bad as it use to be
Old 12-05-2008
Probationary Trainee

ACOBGR08 is on a distinguished road
Default Well...

I am just concerned because the training that I recieved was minimal at best. I was really shown the inherent risks of the job or the possible exposure risks.
Old 12-05-2008
Probationary Trainee

ACOBGR08 is on a distinguished road
Default Well... Part 2

I meant to say I WASN"T explained the risks
Old 12-06-2008
Certified Posting ACO

PaleFalcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinKelleher View Post
And as far aswhat people have been telling me, it's really not as bad as it use to be

It's really not bad at all! So many people are amazed when i tell them it was nothing. It's not in the stomach anymore, just a tiny needle in the arm. Hurts a whole lot less than giving blood, that's for sure!!! Many people do have a sore arm, that's pretty common. Sometimes you can get a headache. But those are the main symptoms (i've had the occasion to read up on it quite a bit lately). It is very rare to have a bad reaction to it, they even give it to pregnant women. I had a link to a good CDC article about it, i'll see if i can find it again.

Dont stress over it, it's nothing and will keep you safe.
Old 12-06-2008
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleFalcon View Post
It's really not bad at all! So many people are amazed when i tell them it was nothing. It's not in the stomach anymore, just a tiny needle in the arm. Hurts a whole lot less than giving blood, that's for sure!!! Many people do have a sore arm, that's pretty common. Sometimes you can get a headache. But those are the main symptoms (i've had the occasion to read up on it quite a bit lately). It is very rare to have a bad reaction to it, they even give it to pregnant women. I had a link to a good CDC article about it, i'll see if i can find it again.

Dont stress over it, it's nothing and will keep you safe.
I thought only the post exposure shot went into the abdomem in the diaphram area??

I know my roommate was volunteering to do research on coyotes in the area about 5 or 6 years ago, and had to get the old one, which was a syrup like liquid into the thigh...and then i talked to someone who got it bc they were going to africa, and they had told me it's just in the arm now...still 3 rounds, but not nearly as painful...but THANK YOU for confirming! LoL

I know I am still signed up to get it...i'm just not a really big fan of injections(and yeah, the doctors laugh at me bc i have 8 tattoos, and use to have multiple piercings)
Old 12-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We used to be able to go down to the Health Dept and buy the vaccine, then go to our contract MD to have it injected. I once had to tell the nurse how to do a sub Q injection, but it worked. Now our Health Dept no longer supplies it, and they referred my co-worker to a travel agency to get hers.