ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-04-2008
Probationary Trainee

ACOBGR08 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Pre Exposure Vax

How many here have had the pre-exposure rabies vac? I havent had it and no one has even mentioned it at my work. should i be concerned? is it something normally provided by the employer or is it up to me to get?
Old 12-04-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

i've had it. no reactions... and I'd mention it to your supervisor... you SHOULD get one... Just in case, find out if your insurance company covers the Vax
________
star craft replays

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Until a few years ago I got mine every 3 years since I started doing this in 1987. At the recommendation of the state I started getting my titer checked instead, and I am always 5X – 6X the vaccinated level, so I haven’t had one in a while.

The city has always paid for mine, and while I have known people who reported having a minor reaction, I never have. We only had 6 rabid animals in my entire county last year, but about 20 years ago I collected a bat that turned out to be rabid, so you never know.
Old 12-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Yes, you should definitely get one, since you are in the single most likely occupation in your jurisdiction to handle a live rabid animal. They are harder to get here lately because of a vaccine shortage, but you should be at the top of the waiting list (after those already exposed, of course).

Yes, bring it up to your boss. Depending on your agency, you may get stonewalled; do not give up. Be politely insistent. This is a bona fide job hazard, right up there with them providing you with auto insurance and worker's comp.

In California, our single most likely source of rabies is handling a sick bat. Therefore, if you respond to those calls, be completely clear beforehand about the correct handling procedure for a live bat -- hopefully your agency has already trained you at this point. If not, or in addition, the most humane is probably (1) WEAR GOOD GLOVES (2) net it with a butterfly net as quickly and quietly as possible (3) drop the netted animal into a SECURE container that allows air-flow and has toweling on the bottom. (Leave the net over it if possible/necessary; for example, you can drop a washcloth into a large coffee can, drop the netted animal into the can, and pop the plastic lid (cut air holes) on top, and then make the net more secure on the can with a heavy rubber band.) If wildlife rehab is an option (e.g., the bat is injured rather than sick and has NO POSSIBLE contact with humans) your agency will tell you so. Humane euthanasia and rabies testing is the option for all others. Again, know what is correct and humane handling procedure for this, since this is your most likely time to be exposed to the virus if you're going to be.

I'm in San Diego, myself ... PM me if I can help at all.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 12-04-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typos, and added info, cause I'm feeling talkative and there's no one to talk to. Sorry!
Old 12-04-2008
Forum Friend

boxermomma is on a distinguished road

I had the series 24 years ago and have never had a booster. I get my titer checked every 3-5 years and have always been 5-6 times the required level. If you will be handling animals, wild and domestic, you should protect yourself.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain
Old 12-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

I got mine when I was in college. There was a doctor in the city that was doing them half off. It was still $300 Canadian, 6 hundred full price. But this was a few years ago, so probably more now?

I found that after getting each vaccine (3 shots) I was very tired and even got a fever. I slept the majority of the day.

Since you are in this field, it is better that you get them. You will have alot of travel companions more so then not in your truck. will be..skunks, raccoons, bats, foxes, coyotes..all rabie sector animals.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 12-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

I had my first series about 15 years ago as a pre-exposure. I had a minor reaction which included swelling of the arm for a few days post vaccination. I was exposed to a rabid cat in April 2008. I had my titer checked in August 2007 and I was way above normal. My doctor still had me get the post-exposure vaccines; this time, I had a full blown reaction which included asthma like symptoms for about 2 months.

Since we are involved in such a dangerous field of dealing with rabid animals, my doctor and I agreed that it was better that I took the risk of having a vaccine reaction than to die of rabies. Although I was sick for awhile, I would have made the same decision again. I have seen videos while I was in school of people dying of rabies; they were not pretty sites.

Get the vaccine as soon as possible. The younger ACO that was with me at the time the rabid cat was brought in was provided with the rabies vaccine by his Township when they realized that I had been exposed to that cat. He was just a little sore after the vaccines.
Old 12-04-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

gaaco
Default ACO

Get the vaccination, most agencies pay for it. Prevention is much cheaper than treatment. (Vaccination here is approx $500.00, post exposure treatment approx $3500.00)

I got my vaccination 9 years ago, I have my titers checked every year. So far I have not needed a booster.
Old 12-04-2008
Certified Posting ACO

PaleFalcon is on a distinguished road

I just got vaccinated recently...got my third shot this last Monday. I had no reactions, not even a sore arm. According to my doctor, reactions are very rare. The cost was $225 per shot. I definitely would recommend getting the vaccine, even if you have to pay for it yourself. It's completely worth the peace of mind working in this field.
Old 12-04-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I still need to get mine. I asked my doctor about it and he had never heard there was a vac for it. Just the after exposure shots.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain