ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 04-21-2006
Kennel Commander

Opie913
Send a message via AIM to Opie913 Send a message via Yahoo to Opie913

Well...I am an armed ACO with a police department, so I have had some potentially dangerous situations. I have on numerous occassions assisted entry teams on search warrants (when there was a dog involved). I have been attacked by dogs (the scariest being when I tripped over a garden hose and fell to the ground. Thankfully...i was not bit and the dogs were not injured). I have had irate dog owners threaten me. I even had a...mentally disturbed man pull a hand grenade on me (thank god it was a dummy).

But...I have not been hurt, well except for some minor bites. That comes from good training, experience, and good common sense.
Old 04-21-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Officer487

Danger can be defined by many in many different ways. I work in a mid sized City tasked with ACO and Traffic Enforcement. I find that your attitude and actions dictate how much danger you will face. Now with that said there are some animals and people alike that just want a peice of you no matter what you do. So in short, be safe and know your surrondings...
Old 04-22-2006
Probationary Trainee

dputydg125

Take the job because every time you think you've seen it all something happens to change your mind. The worst part of the job is the people because I can read an animal bot I've seen people do a 180 fir no reason and then you may be trying to save your own but instead of the other way around. But luckily the incidents don't happen all the time and the animals make it worth your while.
dputydg125 / ohio
Old 06-15-2012
Provisional Posting ACO

Beast Master is on a distinguished road

I agree. The ACO job it's self can be both Dangerous or Rewarding. I happen to live in area where there are many Prisons, Gangs, Drug Dealers, and Pit Bulls. Although not all Pit Bulls are bad, in Millville, N.J. they are 3/4 of the animal calls and complaints. The rest are two legged animals and they are a different story. I have been attacked, charged at, by Pit Bulls. On the other hand, I have had to have back up officers in hot spots where we have many shootings and homicides. My theory is, you have good and bad in any job, but most do not think of what we as ACO's are put through. We leave the safety of our homes and go out into the unknown and must always be on guard and hope that we make it home safely.

Being a Public Servant is not easy, but we are the ones the public turns to when they need heros and or someone to complain about.
The Officer must always use discretion and do the best that he/she can and if necessary educate the public one way or the other.
This job is not for everyone, and not everyone can do what you can.
Old 06-15-2012

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Very...that's as deep as I need to go
Old 06-18-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiHammy View Post
The biggest danger that I have dealt with lately is a vicious breed that is in every town. We are kinda stuck with them because there will never be a law against them. And always use caution when dealing with them and what you say to them.
Yes. That’s right. I’m talking about the dreaded politician. I would sooner go find and wrestle with a Samoan Water Wombat than be trapped in a room with one of them.
If at all possible avoid at all costs. If cornered say things like “ I’m sorry I have to respond to a call now. Please talk to my supervisor. Excuse me.” Your boss has had training to deal with situations with politicians. Let him handle it.
If you are the Supervisor………your fracked. Lets hope your staff remembers your Bday and gets you a big cookie.
Six years later and I have yet to receive that cookie. *sigh*
Old 06-19-2012
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

It depends on the animals you encounter as well as the people. Once your trained, the injury by animal thing should drop(although I think anyone here can agree that they have been bitten at least once in their careers), but the people are the ones to worry about. We have had a few assaults on our officers, and luckily it hasn't caused any bodily harm, but you never know...keeping PD very close is handy.

But that being said, I love my job, and it's probably the most fullfilling job I've ever had.
Old 06-23-2012
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

It is a law enforcement job so it comes with those dangers on top of the animals. It also depends on where you work. I live in AZ and when I worked South Phoenix I was in a lot more danger then when I was in Paradise Valley (where all the rich people and sports stars live).

I have been severely bitten, assaulted, attacked by dogs more times then I can count. One time by 5 dogs at once... That was a close one. Really didn't expect to get out of that one...... I have had guns pulled on me, my family threatened (I am gonna kill your whole family!!! the suspect yells as I take his dog) and the pay is crap. You will get called names everyday. Like wanna-be, puppy killer and so on...

..... BUT, the first time you get a conviction on a cruelty, when you rescue a kitten stuck in a storm drain, find a new home for a dog in desperate need of a good family and the reunion of a child with their pet makes you forget all of that. It is extremely rewarding.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 06-23-2012
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LiHammy:
Six years later and I have yet to receive that cookie. *sigh*
Well have you told them when your birthday is?
Old 07-02-2012
Provisional Posting ACO

Beast Master is on a distinguished road
Cool

I think any time you put on a uniform you are at risk.
Some might have nothing but good days depending on where they live, and others might have crappy days depending on where they live.
It's all what you make of it, and not every ACO will experience the same thing. If you have no problem with dealing with the public, and taking criticism, then go for it. I agree with most ACO's on the post, it depends where you live and what you mostly deal with.

Being a Public Servant is not easy, but we are the ones the public turns to when they need heros and or someone to complain about.
The Officer must always use discretion and do the best that he/she can and if necessary educate the public one way or the other.
This job is not for everyone, and not everyone can do what you can.