ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-07-2006
Forum Friend

carole
Send a message via Yahoo to carole Send a message via Skype™ to carole
Default "vicious" puppy

I received a call last night(of course they can't phone during business hours) that 2 days before(couldn't phone when it happened) the woman's 2 year old son got bit in the face by her now ex boyfriend's 4 month old pit bull. It didn't break skin but left some bruising. She said she went to disipline the puppy but the ex got mad at her and wouldn't let her saying that he told her the puppy was going to bite and it was her responsiblity to make sure that nothing happened. I was just going to go and speak with the owner and give him some information on training puppies, explain our city bylaws and let him know that as an owner of this breed he has a responsibillity to train the puppy properly or face the consequences. Anyone have any other suggestions on how to handle this? Any input would be welcome
Old 03-07-2006
Probationary Trainee

Snitchythedog

I would handle it the same way,and maybe also add in ths scenario....had the bite broken the skin then the outcome of my visit may not be just an advisement! Good luck
Old 03-07-2006
Forum Friend

Michelle B.

Telling a dog owner to do something (train the dog, make the dog stop barking, keep the dog confined, etc.) without providing info and resources can sometimes result in abuse if the owner doesn't know how to comply. Along with the advice, give the guy a list of dog trainers in the area (but only those that use humane, yet effective methods) so that he will have the tools to succeed.

Also talk to him about exercising the dog. Most pet dogs do not get enough exercise, and that can cause misbehavior in dogs just as in kids.

The mom and the kid may need some training, too. Many adults and children do not know how to interact with dogs appropriately, nor do they recognise the dog's warning signs, especially the more subtle ones like "the freeze," "the stare," or turning the head away while looking sideways, all of which usually precede vocalizing and showing the teeth.

Michelle B.
Old 03-07-2006
Forum Friend

aco416iris
Send a message via MSN to aco416iris Send a message via Yahoo to aco416iris

Sounds like you're handling it much the same as I would. I would also always give the owner the option of signing the dog over to the shelter if I feel that the situation is just another accident waiting to happen. See what you think when you talk to them and what kind of vibe you get.
Old 03-08-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

A four month old pup that's aggressive enough to bite a child in the face is a scary creature indeed. Wow! What's he going to grow up to be like? Pup's that young USUALLY aren't that aggressive.

And blaming the mom and the kid, that's awful. I think there's a child welfare issue here. If they are living in the same house, I think I'd give a little heads up to teh child welfare authorities in the area.

MB
Old 03-08-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

Unfortunately, I am betting that this owner is not going to be the least receptive or welcoming of your well meaning advice.

Watch your back.