ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahto View Post
that's funny, I had a similar rescue of a sick owl on a piling in the middle of a lagoon. I flagged down some people passing by in a motor boat and had them take me to the owl. surprisingly the owl was treated and rereleased. I was happy.
Excellent! That's such good news. Fishing line is such a b1tch -- it cuts, it tangles tighter and tighter, and usually there's a hook at one end, which always ends up somewhere it isn't supposed to be. The dam fool fishing community spike their bent hooks into the top of any old piling to get rid of them, cutting the line off short and leaving a foot or so of fishline trailing. Then some unsuspecting bird flies onto the piling, gets its leg tangled in the line, and tries to fly away, which leaves it hanging and flopping on the end of the line, unable to fly up to the top of the piling again.

My poor seagull was a goner. Compound fractured foot/leg by the time I got to him, so I had to do field euth. He'd been hanging there for about four hours -- my boneheaded swing shift officer got the call, went there, couldn't figure out what to do, and left him hanging until I got there three hours later. Idiot. And no excuse, either -- he knew boats, he just didn't want to be bothered.

And I guess if anyone out there doesn't have a lot of experience with boaters, it might be good to note that the sailing/boating community is very tight but very friendly. They love to be helpful in emergencies. So, if you have a situation you need help with, you can almost always knock on a dockside door, or find someone on their live-aboard at the docks, who will be more than happy to take you wherever you need to go out there. I couldn't find anyone to help me for my seagull trip (it was 1 am), but as good fortune would have it I was raised around boats, and felt very comfortable commandeering a canoe, given the exigency and "backup" from Comm Center. Hah. Hah. Hah.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
My poor seagull was a goner. Compound fractured foot/leg by the time I got to him, so I had to do field euth. He'd been hanging there for about four hours -- my boneheaded swing shift officer got the call, went there, couldn't figure out what to do, and left him hanging until I got there three hours later. Idiot. And no excuse, either -- he knew boats, he just didn't want to be bothered.
Are you freakin kidding me?? I hope he was let go after that and never works in the animal welfare field again. That is disgusting.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Well, he was let go some time later, but it was because he asked for time off to take care of his sick grandfather. That ACO was just a product of his department, and least said, soonest mended on that one ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 11-14-2008
Certified Posting ACO

jsuper is on a distinguished road

I would not want to work you shift either. Not when I am the ACO for a county of 9200 sq miles. But you get it done, GO YOU.
Old 11-14-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

No 3rd shift. Emergency calls start at 9pm-8am M-F. Emergency calls from 4:30pm - 7Am sunday. Emergency calls all day sunday till monday morning. But giving the county i work for. Might as well be a shift. Get called out so much if your first reponse officer.

For instance last night 7:45pm Sherrif officer called us out for a hoarder. 2:49am officer got home. Good for the pay check. Hard on the mind.
Old 11-16-2008
Probationary Trainee

coonk9 is on a distinguished road

Its hard working thirds in a big city. I did it for 3 years with out a dispatcher, worse off- unarmed. I used the local police ALOT ( thus I met my current boyfriend of 2 years) and they used me. Funny how many 'loopholes' there are in the system...its EASY to get into a drug dealers house without a warrant, as long as they have a dog, which most do. I had soooo much fun, but it takes a storng willed person to put up with alot of crap too. I have been shot at, assaulted, and my only dog bite to date (knock on wood) occured at night. Routinely the local police durring these hours were doing drug busts, and with dogs present, they would want me on the front line. Seriously, if they were wooried about a dog- they need to handle it at that point- cause most likely there are people inside with guns that will do more damage. I actually had an officer while durring a bust try and hand me his gun so I could go into the basement first because there was a dog down there. Idiot!, 'bad guys' often use their dogs as protection at that point, so sure, send me down 1st, I get shot, I sue- if I make it. It takes a person with first and foremost, common sense to work 3rds. With out having dispatch ( just a cellphone) things can get hairy quick. We made it a poilcy that if we reqest local police to stand by with us on a call, and they refuse or are too busy...we did'nt run the call. Thats were common sense kicks in. Say you get a voice mail stating we found a dog, come get it, no call back number- it waits till morning shift. Complaint of neighbors dog loose, killer whom you've dealt with a million times....call for standby, if police are too busy, you can patrol by to observe it running loose..and start paperwork for ordering it cites. If nothing else, its extra piece of mind. Rarely did I outright write cites at night, however I did do alot of ordering in cites....strange even in a county as large as I worked in, how many repeat offenders you deal with. Often the situation dictated dealing with it immediately, where as police were a bit tied up, but would respond within say 30 mins time. I gained alot of close friendships with several of the 300 or so officers that work thirds, and at any time-nomatter how busy they were, I could at least call someone and say ' i'm at such location and if I don't call you back withing 10 minutes, send the calvary. WELL, one evening I did have to call a friend who was working across town several pecincts away and gave my location on the other end of town, did my usual and said I'll call back in ten, but when I did'nt cause I was dealing with a resident that had sicked a dog on me ...my butt up on a car in the alley with no control pole, dead spot for my cell....(never do that...always have a pole with you, even on 'picking up fluffy' calls !!!) Even though my buddy was tied up on a shooting across town, he had'nt heard from me, and called it in. Holy crap, cruisers and helicopter, seargents, etc showed up. The dog was caught, owner charged.( and convicted!) It never hurts to have friends like this!!!!

My employer stated that we did'nt need a dispatcher because the vans had tracking systems. Too bad the tracking wasn't actually printed off till after my shift. They state at least they'd know where the van was. Thats very bad, say I never checked back in the morning...My van could be out of state by then, and god forbid myself chained in someones basement. You get my point.

Safety is first and foremost. Training is important. Have your employer get you at least a vest. You just never know. My employer stated they did'nt feel it was necesary even after I was shot at. They stated you should at that time either make it back to the van or seek police. Funny how I was standing at the front door of a bite dog owners house attempting to make contact with a police searent standing next to me. Still at that point the police can't stop you from being shot at. Luckily I had the brains and funds at the time to have already had a vest.. I made it back to my van and home in one piece that morning. My employer fiunally did purchace vests after two of our ACOs had been "shot". They recieved richochettes (sp?) from police trying to shoot dogs. That was I think kinda both thepo and acos fault on those.

Biggest advice, have means of contact with SOMEONE and USE COMMON SENSE. if it feels wrong, don't do it!
your department should consider two people riding together,
and if no dispatcher, set something up with your local coumty to have at least a handheld at their dispatch in case you need help if nothing else.

I'm done writing my book now. Sorry ya'll
Old 11-18-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I work first second and third shift. I am on call 24/7 I use common sense on which call I come out for and which get phone calls and follow ups the next day.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain