ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 04-05-2011
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road
Default Hounding the Pavement to find Good Homes for Coonhounds

This is a project I've been working on since September along with some amazing people all over the US & Canada! The website went live last night at 11 pm and I've been jazzed ever since! The hound at the top of the Lotsa Talent poster is my Blaze. Mary Beth

Hounding the Pavement to find Good Homes for Coonhounds
Downloadable Posters Portray Coonhounds as Wonderful Family Pets

April 6, 2011
For more information: info@coonhoundcompanions.com
Local contact: Mary Beth Hall, Chief Dog Warden, Union County,Ohio mhall@co.union.oh.us, 937-645-3016

Announcing a new effort that seeks to match coonhounds with suitable forever homes: the "Long Ears" campaign. Coonhounds are American-bred dogs that are too frequently overlooked in North American shelters. Go to www.coonhoundcompanions.com where a group of international coonhound fanciers have published free public relations materials and will continue to add more.

The creative approach features "long ears," which is the visually dominant feature of coonhounds. A series of four photo posters portray coonhound love of children, love of outdoor family activities, athletic talents, and fabulous long ears. They are designed for free download and display in any public place where coonhounds might be available for adoption.

A flyer about some of the humorous traits of pet coonhounds, written by Emily Plishner, a long-time coonhound fancier, competitor, and writer for national coonhound publications, is available for download as well.

The idea came from a discussion group where coonhound fanciers lamented the difficulty of finding good adoptive homes for huggable long-eared hounds. Coonhounds are gentle with kids, comfortable with strangers, sociable with other dogs, healthy, and they adapt well to an indoor lifestyle when appropriate
exercise is provided. They are just amazing to look at. Finally, hound song can be incredibly inspiring and memorable; each one has a unique voice. They are true American treasures, deserving of respect, admiration, and devotion.

The web site also includes links to a Coonhound Companion YouTube channel and
Facebook page, as well as a blog. For more information, write info@coonhoundcompanions.com
Old 04-05-2011
Almighty ACO

So here are some of the posters, hopefully I managed to upload them okay. Please share them! You can print them off glossy in full color at local print shops. It's costing me $1.10 to do it in 11 X 17 here locally in Ohio.
Old 04-05-2011
Almighty ACO

And the best for last...the Lotsa Talent poster with my Blaze at the top. Blaze was rotting in a run as a cute 4 month old puppy at my shelter. The only person that looked at him was a mom with 3 kids under the age of 6 who wanted a quiet dog that would hang out in an unfenced yard. LOL! Blaze is the love of my life but he's anything but quiet and he's so full of life and mischief. We're debuting in an AKC agility trial on Friday, so keep your fingers crossed for us!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lotsa-Talent_coonhoundcompanions.pdf (353.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-08-2011
Almighty ACO

I'm so sad...not a single comment! I started working on this project after someone made a comment about "kill shelters" on a chat group. I hopped up on my soapbox about someone having to take responsibility for a problem and about how rescues making comments like that about shelters does nothing to improve relationships and get dogs adopted.

My soapbox led to 6 people working their tails off for about 6 months to develop some resources. I really hope they are helpful! Please take a look at the Facebook page and website www.coonhoundcompanions.com and let me know what you think!

I have a lot of ideas for the future, but anything I can do to see more hounds successfully get placed in homes, I'm all for!!

MB
Old 04-08-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

Looking good! Don't worry about a lack of comments, look at the number of post views!
Old 04-13-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

They're beautiful. And I didn't realize that coonhounds came in so many colors. I thought they were all red or black & tan.
Old 04-19-2011
Almighty ACO

Ironic you say that! I was working on a blog post all about the colors of hounds. Check out this month's BARK magazine...a really cool spotted coonhound mix on the cover.