ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-03-2008
Kennel Commander

There'sgottabeabetterway is on a distinguished road

Jeff,* Lots of questions about that last post.* 10 days of quarantine at facility if exposed to wildlife:* Does that include a confirmed positive rabid animal?* Why bother with the 10 day facility quarantine, when we all know that rabies is a slow moving virus and rarely will a domestic animal that has been exposed show signs of rabies within 10 days of the attack or exposure?* Are citizens in the surrounding area notified of the threat if the attack was indeed from confirmed positive rabid wildlife?* Are the citizens in the surrounding area aware that a domestic animal with no current rabies vaccinations that has been exposed to a confirmed rabid animal is being housed within the neighborhood?* We would have a better chance of a blizzard here, than allowing a domestic animal owner to Home Q an un-vaccinated domestic animal exposed to a confirmed positive rabid wildlife.* I do agree, this is/was easily prevented, but even in the 21st Century, people do not realize the importance of rabies vaccinations or contagious disease inoculations.*
Old 12-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Remember, TGGBW, that those of us out here on the West coast, where attacks by a rabid mammal are pretty much unheard of, have a little more leeway in Q confinement law. Out here our first, foremost, and almost only carrier is bats (first and almost only).

Notwithstanding, I agree 110% with your desire that more people would take this seriously. It seems like "getting the animal vaccinated" is one of those things that many owners just do not bother to do, and the outcome is so heartbreaking when it's so preventable beforehand.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 12-04-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by There'sgottabeabetterway View Post
Jeff,* Lots of questions about that last post.* 10 days of quarantine at facility if exposed to wildlife:* Does that include a confirmed positive rabid animal?*
Obviously the only way we would really know if an animal had rabies was after it was euth'd, decapped, and sent off for testing at the county health department. Hopefully the results of that test would be available within the 10 days that the animal was at the shelter under quarantine.

The 10 days in the shelter and all the other procedures were determined by the doctors (and other medical personnel I'm sure) at the county health department and they would also likely handle any dissemination of information to the community about said rabid animals. I know some of the quarantine procedures are based upon various state laws, but again, we don't make the policy, we just follow it.

Since we don't get many rabid animals here, i.e. we haven't had one in the past 7 years (and probably more like 10 years), I don't know what the end all procedure would be if an unvaccinated animal was under shelter quarantine and the suspected rabid animal came back positive for rabies. Hopefully I won't find out anytime soon either...

Jeff
Old 12-04-2008
Kennel Commander

There'sgottabeabetterway is on a distinguished road

What a difference.
We just had a human exposed to a rabid fox. The specimen was transported to the State Lab yesterday morning and we received the positive results before the close of business.
Prior to this incident it has been relatively quite for the past 5 or 6 years, but I remember one year where at least one area of the county was under 90 day quarantine for over a year (that was a housing nightmare). We had two humans exposed to rabid fox(s), one to a rabid kitten, and several dogs exposed to rabid raccoons (if memory serves me correctly only one dog was currently vaccinated and quarantined, all the others were not vaccinated and euthanized). We've tested maybe 6 or so bats, but none have come back positive. If a human contacts a Physician, Animal Control, or The Health Department about a concern of finding a bat inside their house, The HD recommends post exposure shots.
Once a confirmed positive rabies exposure is received a 2 and 1/2 mile radius from the exposure is placed under 90 day quarantine and any animal impounded from the area must be quarantined. We impound any domestic animal, regardless of vaccination status, that has been attacked by or attacked any "high or moderate risk" wildlife.
P.S. This is kinda gross, but I can decapitate an animal blindfolded with one arm tied behind my back.

Last edited by There'sgottabeabetterway; 12-04-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Just had to share something gross with the West Coast
Old 12-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by There'sgottabeabetterway View Post
This is kinda gross, but I can decapitate an animal blindfolded with one arm tied behind my back.
I was going to outgross you for a second there, til I realized this was the public end of the forum .

It's no-end interesting to me that the U.S.'s west coast has mostly bat rabies, and the U.S.'s east coast seems to run more to mammals like raccoons, skunks, and foxes. There's gotta be a reason. I guess we can only hope that we don't trade diseases and wind up with both populations being rabid in both places.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)