ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-08-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

chassidy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the insights and opinions and a little emotional support. I even appreciate those who are not in agreement. The ACO was willing to come back in daylight have us retrace the incident and look it over, but the health dept called back asking why I was talking to the ACO. Then the ACO changes his mind and claims that he never left from in front of his vehicle under our carport and that we did not tell or show him certain parts of the event. I one to believe he was considering the facts and needed another look to be sure of the decision he made,but that certain heads would roll if he changed it now. Its a shame, I no longer bear grudge to the ACO mistake or not. Its the intimadation from others on him that takes the cake for me. What would be so bad about someone having to say we made a mistake? Lord knows Ive made a few. I still havent gotten a date for another hearing yet and since I have an attorney I probally shouldnt try to talk to that ACO anymore. I hope he didnt get into too much trouble for his consideration and I hope that he wouldnt try to help the ones that wouldnt mind feeding him to the dogs if u know what I mean.
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
So, you'll vaccinate immediately after and animal exposure? Is there a reason for that? We don't allow that.

Initially, NJ did not allow animals to be vaccinated if they were bitten by a rabies suspect if never previously vaccinated. In the last few years when I have called the State DOH, I was told to vaccinate the bitten animal. The reason seems that tests have determined that it takes months for the rabies vaccines to really be effective so the animal that is bitten by a rabid animal will more than likely become rabid before the vaccine takes effect.
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
... it takes months for the rabies vaccines to really be effective so the animal that is bitten by a rabid animal will more than likely become rabid before the vaccine takes effect.
That's not what I understood at all about vaccinations. Are you sure?

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by There'sgottabeabetterway View Post
I have never received a report of a cat being attacked by a rabid animal and surviving the attack.

I had never heard of a cat surviving an attack by a rabid animal. I had one this past April. It turned on my technician and while I was trying to break them apart, the cat hissed and the saliva got on my face. Needless to say, both of us were ordered to get the rabies post-exposure injections when the cat came back positive for rabies. So it is out there.
Old 11-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post

I did not think it took that long either. I was notified by the State Department of Health that it does. The younger ACO that was in the examination room with me and the rabid cat, had never been vaccinated against rabies before. He was sent in to get his vaccines once the Township realized what had occurred. We were careful to make sure he took extra precautions until we were sure his vaccines had kicked in.

It makes sense though, since when I was in vet. school, we get our rabies vaccines in our first year. We are not exposed to animals much until our third year. This would give the vaccine some time to kick in before we would be exposed to potentially rabid animals.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 11-08-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: one sentence did not make sense the way it was typed
Old 11-09-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

For my animals they were given the imrab3 vaccine. This takes approx 3 wks and 1 day to be fully effective, but needs a booster 1 yr after intional dose then every 3 yrs.(Im learning). But HAD my animals been exposed prior to the vaccinations,then the vaccinations they made me get them a week later were useless anyway! Lucky me they werent hate to say it but yeah Id bet my life on it I was there. But as I understand it there are no post exposure vaccines for animals only humans. Told ya I been payin attention and learning alot.
(too bad too little too late right?)
Old 11-09-2008
Kennel Commander

There'sgottabeabetterway is on a distinguished road
Default DRNEGRIN6

I did not mean to suggest that cat's cannot survive an attack. I've been in this field for more than 12 years and my County Agency has had 3 felines test positive for rabies during this time period. All were kittens, dumpster kittens to be exact. All three exposed humans, fortunately the people had sense enough to seek medical attention.
Old 11-09-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post

I was told the vax takes 30 days to take effect...
________
montana marijuana dispensary

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

Default Oh geez..

Well not too much to tell that I havent already. My pets are still alive and well,but the Director has refused to hear me or my lawyer before the board of health.I still have the one cat and there not going to try and take it.The ACO has been warned against helping me the county attorney even wants it dropped but the Director says no. They may well have to have a judge tell them to hear my case because they say the board cannot overturn the directors decision.Just thought Id let everyone know that.They were going to have the meeting then at the request of the director it was canceled and now their saying that im not entitled to it.My lawyer is so ticked,the county attorney doesnt want to go forward but that Director just wants to be a jerk and say he was and is right.Considering the fact I can prove my case with undisputed evidance he isnt going to let me unless a judge makes him and Im working on that. So hopefully next post Ill have happier news.
Old 11-24-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Chassidy, Keep up the fight your pets deserve it. You have come along way and have found alot out about alot of things. I think you are doing great hang in there hopefully all will work out for you and your animals.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain