ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-29-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

chassidy is on a distinguished road
Default Oh My God...I Dont Believe This...

I have been preparing for a hearing before the Animal Control Board for a week now.I have talked to the chairperson several times,submitted a formal request for a hearing etc. At 8:00 last night the chairperson calls to tell me that the ACB cant hear me.They cant handle Rabies issues or an ACO issue! I thought that was what the board was for for crying out loud. I cried so hard I ended up breathing in a paper bag (thats embarrising) to make it worse the animals are back on the schedule to be destroyed!The meeting was set for today at 5:30, I posted flyers all around my community to get the public to attend. I left message with my attorney friend and he was so mad he volunteered to take my case so that he could get to these people.The reporter was so mad he promised to have it posted in the local online paper this morning.(Bladenonline.com)Havent checked yet but Im sure if its not up yet it will be.He said that all the officials were not returning his calls and if they didnt he would be forced to use the No Comment clause.Also said he would rather have them go on record and call me a liar than to have to do that cause it makes the county look like they have somthing to hide. This makes as much sense as a weeks worth of Sundays!
Old 10-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

But the good news is that it sounds like you're getting some support from the people that matter ... the press and the lawyering crowd. Hang tough!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 10-30-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

I was told I could be "humored" to speak at that meeting but was told it would do no good. I did get legal representation(God Bless those Pro Bono Animal Lovers). I did not go since just like the last time it would do no good! However the bladenonline did print a story,they had a few things mixed up but for the most part it works.It lets people know whats going on and how important your vaccinations are. Im not done by NO means as it stands Ill let the lawyer handle it.Ill keep u updated but until next time they cant kill them without being in violation of due process and subject to a criminal misdameanor and civil liability for the county. That should keep them safe until we have our say in Distric Court. Keep them in your prayers. Thanks for the help ACO'S, be safe and be kind to all creatures great and small.
Old 10-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I believe you said once that you're in NC? According to NC state law, at the discretion of the Local Health Director, a 6 month quarantine may be an acceptable alternative to euthanasia.

http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/rabie...flow_chart.pdf
Old 11-04-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

Default Yeah well..

I was told that from the get go actually and still havent counted it out.Unfortunately there are NO facilities in my county to properly do that for 6 months If I go out of the county theres a few but theyve never done a 6 month rabies watch only the 10 day watch but its 25 dollars a day per animal! I in no way can do that if I could I would.The attorney is taking it free too bad I cant find a vet to work with me just in case this falls through Im still looking.If any one knows of any charities or groups that may help feel free to get me that info. Thanks
Old 11-04-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

This is just a what if. You'll need to ask. But what if you bought one of those dog run kits. They cost about $200.00 but that's a whole lot cheaper than $25.00 a day for 6 months. Would they let you quarantine at home if you put one of those up?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-05-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

The Director has said NO to all attempts at home quarintine. To be honest their in a big hurry to kill them, they almost denied my lawyer the right to have a hearing.Their so bad right now the pro bono has threatned to charge my county for his fees if they continued to ignore the law. There trying to say that the director has "absolute authority" and there is no appeal for his decisions! I tell ya win or lose the s*** is gonna fly and I doubt hell do anything to help me. But to cover all my bases Ill look into it thanks.

Exactly what kinda kit is it or where could I look for one?

Last edited by chassidy; 11-05-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-06-2008
Kennel Commander

There'sgottabeabetterway is on a distinguished road
Default Home Q

Ideally, you should purchase or make two separate chain link fence kennels with chain link roofs and either concrete flooring or concrete pavers. Then fence an area surrounding the kennels and secure all gates with locks. The fence around the kennels will ensure no humans (or animals if you fence in the top also) will come in contact with your dogs. You probably will have to accept any liability and be willing to pay for post exposure shots if one or both of your dogs die during the quarantine period. This is standard protocol for housing exotic wildlife in Fl. It protects the contained from possible exposure from a rabid animal and humans from contact with the contained.
You must realize that the Health Department and or Animal Control Agency is going to error on the side of caution. It makes more sense to euthanize your un-vaccinated animals than to risk exposing the public (including you and your family members) to a fatal disease. You might be able to make an exception and house both animals in one kennel, but technically, Quarantine means to segregate with no possible contact to another animal or human.
P.S. The kennels must be big enough to accommodate shelter (dog house). Any hardware, building supply store or most feed stores sell kennels or the necessary hardware to build them.

Last edited by There'sgottabeabetterway; 11-06-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: P.S. always an A.C.O
Old 11-06-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

Oh ok I get it now,thanks. But no it doesnt make more sense to kill them cause they were never exposed thats the whole point of my problem. Exposure only occurs through contact with infectiouse saliva or nueral tissues, and at a distance of 153 ft thats down right impossiable wouldnt ya think?
Old 11-06-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? They may have what you need.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain