ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-24-2008
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default NC ACOs

This is a request for NORTH CAROLINA folks. Others on the board, please do not respond if you are not employed or working in the animal control field in NORTH CAROLINA. Thank you.

North Carolina Animal Control Officers:

What are your views on euthanasia as they relate to Euthanasia by Injection versus use of a certified gas method?
Old 10-29-2008
Probationary Trainee

ac-3
Default ACO T. Widner

I personally like the eutahnasia chamber. It takes less of a tole on you to put them in the chamber and walk away rather than hold the animal in your hand while he/she passes away. Check your statistics the suicide of choice is carbon monoxide and lets face it I have never found a needle that doesn't hurt just a little and I am a big boy and have a very high tolerence for pain.
Old 10-30-2008
Field Operative

NCACO2CI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NCACO2CI
Cool chambers vs injection

I have worked in all injection and all chamber......I honestly have to say
both can be abused. Chambers can be overloaded and dogs not seperated. I have seen shelter staff wrestle a dog to inject and blowing veins.
I say for an animal who doesnt want to be touched or near a human a chamber is a option and humane...The one item that is always left out, if you want to switch us to inject - give our shelters enough trained staff and money for proper drugs including sedation.

Hope this helps

stay safe
Old 03-06-2009
Probationary Trainee

Adoptadog
Arrow Euthanasia in North Carolina

I think one of the biggest problems with euthanasia in North Carolina shelters is lack of unbiased education. The main euthanasia trainer in our state sells gas chambers. He is on the board of directors for the NC Animal Rabies Control Association at this link http://ncarca.org/boardmembers.asp. His name is Ralph Houser and he is a licensed veterinarian. It's so sad.
Old 03-10-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

lis476 is on a distinguished road
Default NC Euth

I think there is a place for both methods.
Add the caveat that there needs to be better training on both available and the right WORKING equipment and supplies. This is one of the largest responsibilities of any animal control entity and often the most neglected as far as funding. It is also neglected as far as recieving and implementing changes in law. Many counties are working under outdated reccommendations and laws, not realizing that there have been changes. Either of the two methods can become inhumane if done improperly or with faulty equipment. But the main thing is getting the people properly trained and maintaining that training.
Stay safe
Lis
Old 03-10-2009
Certified Posting ACO

louann1584 is on a distinguished road
Default euthanasia

I am from Chowan County and we use both forms. In October I was euthansia certified. I, along with the the other 2 aco's in our county, prefer the gas chamber. It is less stressful than holding an animal while it passes on. We do inject puppies, kittens, old dogs & cats, and sick ones. People say it is inhumane to use the chamber, but I think it is inhumane to have to repeatily have to stick an animal to find a vein (on a lot of emaciated animals their veins will roll). I would love to have the animal rights activist come walk in my shoes for a week and have to hold feral animals or even that, a healthy one and put it down. We have never had to gas an animal more than one time, but in injection we have had a dog have an allergic reaction, and one that was injected 3 times and would not pass on so he had to be put in the gas chamber. As so many care about the humane side for the animal, they tend to forget the humane side for the aco. Can we survive this job as a career instead of a 5 year burnout? To do away with the chamber will only make workers comp claims skyrocket. I feel it should be up to the county as to how the animals will be euthanized.
Old 03-10-2009
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by louann1584 View Post
I think it is inhumane to have to repeatily have to stick an animal to find a vein (on a lot of emaciated animals their veins will roll).
I couldn't agree more. Part of euthanasia involves evaluating the animal before trying for veins. IP is often a more humane way for EBI when dealing with these types of animals. If you presedate then the animal should not be able to feel anything.

Quote:
...injection we have had a dog have an allergic reaction, and one that was injected 3 times and would not pass on so he had to be put in the gas chamber.
"allergic reaction"??? properly administered sodium pentobarbital should result in the animal expiring in a matter of seconds. Some of the other non schedule II stuff can cause vocalization and similar unpleasant effects. Again, when done properly, there is no time for an allergic reaction.

Quote:
To do away with the chamber will only make workers comp claims skyrocket.
Sorry, this is an anecdotal exageration. With a properly staffed and managed program that allows for decompression and rotation amongst those in the room, workers compensation claims are no greater than with chambers as related to job stress. Ditto with Workers comp claims related to injuries.

As for use on older and very young animals, the gas chamber is not recommended by the AVMA. NACA recognizes that in some cases, the use of the CO chamber is effective but the best practice method is EBI.

North Carolina will likely soon join other states in moving away from the gas chambers just as we have all moved away from the high altitude decompression chambers. Many of the same anecdotal points were made before that change occurred.
Old 03-11-2009
Certified Posting ACO

louann1584 is on a distinguished road

Mark, we do not use the chamber for babies, seniors or sick animals, as I stated before.
This response comes from Mary Bass, supervisor of our animal control/shelter:
Reading your response it is obvious which side of the coin you are going to be voting. This is an arguement that the government will have to settle, as you and others like you seem to be able to gun down us humans without any regard to our feelings. I have you to know that the german shepard with the "allergic reaction" went into full blown seizures and yes allergic reaction is what the veterinarians referred to it as. I have 16 years working with the animals and the people, the problem is not the gas chamber or even euthansia, the problem is the lack of funds for education, spay neuter programs and tougher laws. As you can well tell my side of the coin will be voting to keep the chamber.

Sincerely
Mary Bass
Old 03-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by louann1584 View Post
...as you and others like you seem to be able to gun down us humans without any regard to our feelings...
I think that's the heart of the "argument" she presents, right there: the perception that injection euthanasia is "gunning down us humans," instead of a preferentially faster, more humane death for the animals. I'm not from NC, and I'm not going to comment, but here's a question:

Rather than make it an "either-or," where it's EITHER we care about our euth techs OR we offer the animal a humane death, why can't we train our humans to withstand the stress of euthing humanely? That way we could do both.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 03-11-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

lis476 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
I think that's the heart of the "argument" she presents, right there: the perception that injection euthanasia is "gunning down us humans," by expressing a preference for a faster, more humane death for the animals. I'm not from NC, and I'm not going to comment, but here's a question:

Rather than make it an "either-or," where it's EITHER we care about our euth techs OR we offer the animal a humane death, why can't we train our humans to withstand the stress of euthing humanely? That way we could do both.
HEAR HEAR!!!