ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 02-04-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug e
Why dont the media ask us about the subject?

Doug
Sometimes, they do -- in my jurisdiction they've reported the opinion of our Chief. I think the trouble is that our Chief does not have a high-visibility profile, and so the several other opinions reported sort of outweigh him. That is sad, too, but I'll not comment on that - it takes work to build concensus and support.

When I was around five years old, one of the neighbors' dogs (happened to be a German Shepherd) ran up to me real happy and knocked me off-balance. I was upset for a while, but not really hurt physically. Luckily for me and the dog, my folks and neighbors saw that we were okay, did not start to behave like the dog had just arrived from Mars, and today I am fine with dogs big or little.

I think it's a longer-term effect of our lack of humane education in school and at home, that so many people today literally ARE scared to death of animals, many of which are perfectly ordinary dogs or cats that would rather turn tail than scratch or bite. In my community we have a lot of hysteria over feral cats that people "just know" are going to run up to a child outdoors, bite and scratch it and generally torture and kill the child. Uh, right. Those parents are in ignorant terror, and I emphasize the word IGNORANT. And, as with the pit bulls, the media just love it, as it makes a terrific "human interest" story.
Old 02-04-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug e
Why dont the media ask us about the subject?

Doug
Sometimes, they do -- in my jurisdiction they've reported the opinion of our Chief. I think the trouble is that our Chief does not have a high-visibility profile, and so the several other opinions reported sort of outweigh him. That is sad, too, but I'll not comment on that - it takes work to build concensus and support.
Maybe we, the professionals could put together a one-sheet of comments and COMMENTORS that we could post here. Whenever you run into the "we need someone who knows what the $#*@ they are talking about to make a statement" moments, you can PM AG or me and we can SEND the info to a list of local media outlets as a way of putting our 2cents in.

M
Old 02-05-2006
Forum Friend

dug e

Sounds good to me!!! I think the PR skills would really be put to the test.

Doug
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 02-05-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

cdfrommd

We don't have a breed ban for our county but one township does. They passed a ban on the pit bull breed stating that if you lived inside the town limits, you could register your dog and be legal. Otherwise after that date you can't bring one inside town limits. This includes new move ins, visiting or walking on the boardwalk. We don't enforce the ban due to it being a private town ban, not county. Our neighboring county has the breed ban and they can't keep up. I think that it is like the bans in the past. Like the Saturday Night Special and the Alochol ban from many,many years back. Once you out law something, most people want that item even more.
As for the breed, I don't have a problem with them. Only had a few handfulls that didn't need to be near the public. But the other 95% that I do deal with are some of the best dogs around. One that I remember the most was a rescued four month old pit bull that a friend had. At around two months of age a military person beat it and broke both back legs and never took to vet. I was alreadyplaying with the pup before I heard this story. This pup loved me like there was no tomorrow even though I was a male in a uniform, just like the person that beat him.
As for trying to say that all pit bull breeds are dangerous and should be outlawed, I hope that it doesn't happen here. To date we have a Daschund on our Dangerous Dog List among other dogs. Yeah, fifteen pounds of terror. Just goes to show that any dog with teeth can be a danger.
The other thing tha I don't like is just like everyone else has said before. I see a pit bull and it is dangerous. You need to get here to pick it up before it kills some one. Or it says in the oridance that a dangerous dog has to be muzzeled and on a three foo leash, well why is it out here with a kid walking it. I have to explain that our unit has to deem the dog as dangerous, not the public just because it is a certain breed.
This was a good topic. Thaks for leting me throw in my two cents. Now to start a new topic on fines, I 'm intrested in that over $100 fine for ral and license.
Old 02-07-2006
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

ASK THE PROFESSIONALS? In Ohio Pits are considered vicious just by being a "Pit type dog". I am against BSL 100% but many ACO's in Ohio are all for it.

A bill was introduced to remove the BSL part from the State law and the leading group of ACO's in Ohio were right there fighting it! In fact, many want to add more breeds to the list like American Bulldogs, Boxers, and Bulldogs!!!

Again, I'll say it...Don't punish good dog owners, with laws that bad dog owners don't care about in the first place. Treat every case based on the merits of THAT CASE. Treat each dog on the actions of THAT DOG.....AND NAIL THE BAD OWNERS!!

Ohio is a great place to do some studies about BSL...It doesn't work in my opinion. All they are doing is euthanizing lots of Pits, good or bad.
Owners don't care, they'll get another dog if it is taken. The dogs are kept "underground"...not cared for properly, not taken to vets for fear of discovery.....They aren't walked or exercised, and many are "short-leashed in basements or garages! It is like telling a kid NOT to drink or do drugs, it makes the dogs more coveted by the punks that abuse these animals.

I personally treat every dog complaint based on what I see...Is the dog is well socialized, and cared for? Does it live with and/or get along with other animals & kids? If it does, I don't consider it to be vicious in my professional opinion.

In Ohio, the Ohio Attorney Generals Office DID put out the opinion that a Pit type dog IS considered to be vicious UNLESS there is evidence to the contrary....This is what I use to justify my actions.
Old 02-08-2006
Field Operative

Connecticut AACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Connecticut AACO Send a message via Yahoo to Connecticut AACO
Default Pitbulls

In Connecticut, we have to submit a form to the CT Dept. of Agriculture on all dog bite incidents that we do. They tally up all incidents and send out the results to all Animal control Divisions at the end of the year.
Old 02-10-2006
Probationary Trainee

lovindogs
Default bans

I am just now joining the group and am coming in late for this discussion but feel like putting my two scents worth. I have only been a ACO for almost a year now but have come across many Pit Bulls (I prefer to call them Am Staffs) and have rarely met a mean, aggressive one. During the summer months we were bringing in 5- 6 per week and I interacted with the dogs brought in on a daily basis and they were adorable. Lots of energy and love to play but I think I only met two Am Staffs that were untrustworthy. The majority of them pass their temperment tests with flying colours and were adopted out to better home. I don't like breed bans because it seems like every few years it is a new dog to be aware of but to claim a BREED as bad is just wrong and done out of ignorance.

Leah Parsons
Animal Services Officer,
Dartmouth, NS

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
Gandhi
Old 02-13-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

AdrianACO

in my town you cant descremenate against a breed of dog . but i can deem it a vicious animal by past breed actions, and have them removed and put down..
Old 02-15-2006
Forum Friend

carole
Send a message via Yahoo to carole Send a message via Skype™ to carole

Our City bylaws state that any dog with the breeding of pit, staffordshire or any mix of those breeds is deemed "vicious" right from birth. That sucks because that means my cute little 10 week old staffordshire terriers are already considered "vicious". I went on a call yesterday for a pittie on a persons porch. I get there and the dog is just laying on the porch enjoying the sunshine. I walk right up and he starts wagging his tail and lets me leash him. The owner of the house wouldn't even open her door until the dog was leashed. What are people going to do? Ban pitties and staffies and let them go extinct? They will only find another breed to pick on. If people were some what smart they would realize that it is behavior not breed. That is like saying that all African-American males are criminals or french men are better lovers, one or two may be like that but it doesn't mean that the entire nationality is like that. There are lots of "bad" priests but you don't see anyone banning them! Maybe someone could start a petition to ban stupid people? Don't ban the breed, change the behavior.