ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-30-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB
Send a message via AIM to KristenB Send a message via MSN to KristenB
Default Pit Bulls

I'm just full of questions!

I was wondering today while reading about pit bull bans if any of you are ever required to enforce breed related bans? It's the first thing that I've thought of that if I were to become an ACO, I would have a very hard time enforcing. There's no way I could tell a family that they had to give up their loving pit bull because of a ban. If it was someone that didn't take care of the dog or only used it as an "ego prop", I wouldn't have any trouble.

Have any of you ever been required to enforce a ban? And what are your thoughts as ACOs on pit bulls in general?
Old 01-30-2006
Field Operative

LCK
Send a message via MSN to LCK Send a message via Yahoo to LCK
Default pit ban...

No we dont have a pit bull ban, but do have an ordanace i have used that when a person has a fierce or vicious dog or a dog with a predispotion to be fierce i "may" not shall, thats important,,, use. For example one of the Sheriff deputies arrested an escapee who had in his possesion a baby pit. I was able to get a release on the dog as the man was going back to prison for life. I have also been able to use the ordanance to restrict some doberman owners that were being bitten themselves by dogs they had rescued from euthanasia. Our ordanace reads they have to have a homeowners insurance policy on the dogs, that they be muzzled and leashed when out of their fence that must be 6' tall, and have a sign indicating that they have a vicious animal.
Now on the other hand I do not go after anyone with certain breeds just because I can,, but boy its nice to have something when you have owners that care less about licencing or their dogs at large.
In all honesty I worry alot about Pitts, I dont trust them, maybe i have not been lucky enough to meet a truly nice one. I strongly urge owners of these animals to be very careful and know what they are dealing with, and hope no one has to get hurt to get the point across. Pitts are not the only breed I have had trouble with, there are several who also think its fun to own a wolf,,( of course its mostly huskys when you approach the subjsect with them). Wolf hybrids are getting to be more and more of a problem in this area. I dont blame the breeds only ignorant uneducated people... i do what i can , hope for the best, expect the worst. Somehow things seem to work out.
Old 01-30-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB
Send a message via AIM to KristenB Send a message via MSN to KristenB

I dunno, every American Pit Bull Terrier I've met that's mean or has issues has been abused in some way. Of course, I don't come into contact with a lot of pit bulls, but I belong to quite a few communities online that are focused on pit bulls (and bull breeds in general). I can say that well bred and well trained pits are most likely NOT going to bite a human because they were bred for human loyalty (in a roundabout way). Dog agressiveness, yes, I can see that being a problem. But as far as being a danger to humans, (well bred and well trained) pits aren't near as much of a threat as other common breeds. Back in the day it was german shephards that everyone hated. Hopefully this too shall pass, considering that in America's past, pit bulls were a beloved breed.

Oh, and I'm talking American Pit Bull Terriers. I know it seems trivial, but "pit bull" can refer to any mixed breed of bull breed origin. And besides that, the media gets confused a lot on what is an APBT and what isn't because there are SO many breeds that have a lot of the same physical characteristics. Often times mutts are labeled pit bull mixes. Goes hand in hand with media hype.
Old 01-31-2006
Probationary Trainee

k9_artman
Send a message via MSN to k9_artman Send a message via Yahoo to k9_artman

On the subject of aggesive Pits,
I've only been an ACO for about 2 1/2 years, but in my experience I have met plenty of unreasonable Pits. I think unreasonable is a pretty good description, because, as we all(ACOs) know, any dog will act as non-friendly as it can when it doesn't know you and feels it needs to protect its home/self. An unreasonable dog, however, will stick to that demeanor despite any attempts to convince it that you have other/good intentions. I do have to say that in my experience I think Iíve met many more unreasonable German Shepherds, and Shepherd mixes. Worse than that is the predictability factor. I feel that a Pit tends to be either in aggressive mode or friendly mode, whereas a Shepherd tends to have that grey area of unpredictability. My biggest hesitation about Shepherds comes from my Ďbiteí cases. I believe there has been a tendency for Shepherds to cause much more serious injuries. Where Iíve noticed Pits tend to bite down hard and leave deep punctures, Iíve noticed that Shepherds tend to Ďripí flesh while they bite. The really horrible injuries that Iíve seen to children, requiring many stitches, seem to have been inflicted by Shepherds. Thatís all just my take on the subject. I should also say that Iíve met many likable Shepherds. Don't get me started on the unpredictablility of Dalmatians!
K9_ARTMAN
Old 01-31-2006
Field Operative

ACO278

I also have only been doing this job for about 2 1/2 years, and i have never encountered a pitbull that has been vicious towards people. I have only had one that killed another dog. I'm not excusing all the pits in the world but thats just my experience. The meanest dogs i've seen have been german sheps. But you don't here about anything other than pits on the news. So everyone gets freaked out if they think they see one, when it could be the black lab up the road doing the attacking.
Old 01-31-2006
Probationary Trainee

epona4

I had my first face to face with a pitbull last week, when I went to the shelter to introduce myself. He seemed to be the shelter mascott. I walked in the door, he immediately introduced himself and was one of the most friendly dogs I have ever met. I ended up on the floor petting him for about 15 minutes while the staff was working with another person.

I was glad this was my first encounter with a pit. I've always been nervous about them. The same holds true for Rotties. I was always scared of them till I met my friends big girl. She is one of the most well behaved and loving dogs I have ever met.

It breaks my heart that breeds have been given a bad name because of the awful people who have turned them into mean, scared animals.

Beth
Old 01-31-2006
Field Operative

LCK
Send a message via MSN to LCK Send a message via Yahoo to LCK

Kristen,, I believe the key words you used are "well bred and well trained" The problem is I almost never get to deal with people who know what that means. You also brought up another thing that drives me nuts........ I get a call that a pit bull and a blood hound are running rampant down town last seen chasing people around a church. I arrive to find a visla (aka blood hound) and a boxer (aka pit) looking for anybody to throw them a stick,, I dont know how many times ive gone on a vicious pit bull call and find a friendly boxer instead. Lol , gotta love people and be willing to laugh at stupidity.
Old 01-31-2006
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

haha, this weekend someone called in a "vicious pit bull charging the public" and when I pulled up on the call it was a sweet big clutzy OAF of a pit bull, running and PLAYING with people (as they ran he looked at them like "What r' we runnin' from??? Can I play?") and the big dumb dumb ran right up to my truck when I arrived, only to try and climb into the passenger seat when I tried to get out of my truck... If he could talk I am sure he was saying
"heeeheeeeheeeee what ya doin? Can we go for a car ride??? heeheeeeee!!! Car ride time, oooooooh boooooy!!!!"
People see a pit bull and they think "OH GOD IT'S MEAN!!!!"
Sometimes people report pit bulls being vicious and when we all ask WHY they say, "Well, because um, it's a pit bull!!!!" I never believe anymore till I see it with my own eyes...
On the other hand I have met some REAL butthead pit bulls, but then I meet their owner and the owner is usually just as much of a jerk so, goes to show why the dog turned out the way it did...
Stay Safe
Old 01-31-2006
Certified Posting ACO

AnimalCop_83

As of today we are waiting to see if our city council is going to move forward with a pit bull ban. I hate the idea of trying to enforce such a ban, I don't agree with it one bit and it will break my heart to take someone's good dog away. Looking at the breeds we have a problem with in our city, Shepherd mixes took the number one spot for the last several years. We really don't have a problem in our city, yes, we are getting a lot of pitbulls in because of other cities banning the dogs, but it's time to make our ordiance stronger to enforce all bad dogs! Should be interesting, I'm keeping my fingers crossed the city rejects it!
Old 01-31-2006
Probationary Trainee

cso303

no breed specific legislation for this state, to my relief!
I must admit I've not had great contacts with pit bulls, usually bite cases but that in no way makes them a "breed" to be legislated against...imho
A dog does what it was bred to do, trained to do.... by whom?