ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 04-28-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

I don't have the drugs on my truck only because I'm not certified. But the officers who do have it in a locked box inside of a locked box inside of a locked truck... is that insufficient?? (honest question, not being a smart alec)
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 04-28-2006
Kennel Commander

Opie913
Send a message via AIM to Opie913 Send a message via Yahoo to Opie913

Yes...that is most likely sufficient. Is the box in the truck secured to the truck? Or is it like a briefcase? Of course...can you imagine some idiot stealing it and shooting up with the fatal plus thinking they are going to get some good high?

That actually happened out here. Years (and years) ago, the county shelter used jail inmates to clean cages. Well, two of these brainiacs found empty bottles of euthanol and figured it was some kind of alcohol. They pried the caps off and managed to get a couple of cc's or so out of the empties. Mixed them with some cola. Nothing. Until they got back to the "honor farm." As they walked across the compound....boom. They did not die, but they did pass out and collapse.

Which brings me to my adage...."Stupid people...job security!"
Old 05-08-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat
Default Rewards of the job and comfortable lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie913
Ok..>I won't get rich being an aco, but I will at least enjoy it! (and that is a huge reward in and of itself).
That is true, but still, I wonder if the average citizen ever thinks about what they expect for the level of compensation their ACOs receive. If your department sends you to regular training that's terrific, but some jurisdictions don't, and I think that devalues the role in everyone's eyes because those ACOs don't always have the skills and knowledge to deal with problems proactively.

You can find ways to live comfortably on a rather modest salary -- part of the key is to save SOMETHING, and to start saving as early as you can (i.e., if you're 18 and just starting to consider a career, you should still put birthday cash or checks into a savings account; learn about following a budget; read about how you can invest small amounts). It will pay off well for you later in life, and you won't always need to worry so much what your *salary* is because you'll have your own source of funding.
Old 07-20-2006
Forum Friend

Dog-Face
Send a message via MSN to Dog-Face
Default UNDERPAID!

I'm an ACO in Bathurst, NewBrunswick...approximately 6 hours north of Mike. I would sell my soul to make what you guys make. I get $7.50 per hour and when it's my turn to be on call it's $10/call. Hope my kids are smart enough to get their university paid for but god I love my job though.
Old 07-25-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat
Default Maybe you want to look for *benefits* raises

Hi Dog-Face,

Well, common job wisdom says you should make a list of all the things you do during your typical week, that you think are "above and beyond," and take it to your supervisor and ask for a raise. If you haven't tried it, you could do that.

Then, if you're told there is no money in the budget or whatever, you could ask for benefits like, say, more dental coverage, or a health insurance premium share, or for them to cover training to make you more competitive as a professional. I know that I wish that our ACOs would ask for financial assistance to train and be more current with best practices!

In other words, if you can't get more pay overall, maybe you can get help with the other expenses of living, so that you CAN provide more for your kids.

Just some thoughts in case you hadn't already tried all this.
Old 08-04-2006
Certified Posting ACO

Ant
Default income

It really depends on wich part of the nation you want to live and what the local gov. pays. I'm in NW Arkansas and make $18 an hour, but the guys in the next city only makes $10 an hour.
Old 09-06-2006
Forum Friend

Dog-Face
Send a message via MSN to Dog-Face

By the way....when I mentioned my kids...I meant any kids I would have in the future...for now...it's dogs for me.