ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-30-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB
Send a message via AIM to KristenB Send a message via MSN to KristenB

Can I get everyone's names and what state you work in? (If you want to supply it. If not, just the name.)
Old 01-31-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

1. What do you think about education? I've read that some ACOs think that you may be overqualified if you have a college education and others that say to get as much education as you can. What is your opinion? You can never be overqualified for this work. The more you know the better prepared you'll be. I have a bachelors in animal science. I wish I'd gone to law school.

2. What are the pros and cons of the job?
lets start with cons:
Lousy pay
Lack of respect/appreciation
Overworked
understaffed
underfunded

Pros:
never a dull day
helping animals
lots of fun/ problem solving

3. On a day to day basis, how mean do people that you deal with get? What is the "danger" rating of this job? Danger Rating here is high. Received sniper fire once, only got my rear window. People most of the time are decent. But like everywhere ya got your looney's. National Animal Control Association tells us that animal control officers have 4 times more contact with the public than police officers so the liability is 4 times greater.

4. Do you think women get treated differently than men in this field? Not by co workers or superiors, but by the general public? Yes, sometimes, mostly I just get men who are surprised when I show up and actually get the job done, using my brain instead of my muscles. But some men, those who usually beat their wives and children on a regular basis will try to use their bullying tactics on me. It never works.

5. How much time do you spend investigating cruelty cases as opposed to responding to calls about a neighbor's dog barking too much? Obviously a lot more time goes into investigating a cruelty case because theres more at stake for the dog. A barking dog case is not one that a any of my judges will take seriously or convict on.

6. What is your best memory on the job? There's a new one everday.

7. What is the average hourly pay? Yearly income? We are so far below the average it's embarassing. Starting is $9.39/hr. I'm a supervisor with 10 years in and I only get $14.04/hr.

8. What types of opportunities for advancement are there? Depends on the agency you work for. If your a certified officer you can go as high up as Chief. In my organization supervisor is as high as one may get and there's only one supervisor so until some body kills me or I actually survive to retirement...You'll stay an animal control officer.
Old 01-31-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenB
Can I get everyone's names and what state you work in? (If you want to supply it. If not, just the name.)
Kristen, many of the users on this board post and comment on issues that are specific to their area, and in some cases, their jurisdiction. With that in mind, almost all use nicknames or handles for their posts. While I certainly encourage your interest in learning more about our profession, I would ask that you PM me with your information and refrain from requesting personally identifiable information in an open forum area.

Thank you
Old 01-31-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB

But I can't quote anyone in an english paper with internet handles, unless I talk to my teacher and she lets me. Anyone may feel free to PM me thier names to quote.
Old 02-01-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

1. I have a bachelor's in English and some postgrad work in theology/pastoral care; I think that is a really great asset to my work. I can think and communicate logically and calmly, and I know how to talk to and care for people in times of crisis, including me. (Not that I seem to have time to do much of that last!).

2. Big Brown Dog said it well. Cons: Bad pay. Emotional stress off the charts -- most ACOs have an ongoing case of PTSD. Very little respect or status, for law enforcement. Occasional grave physical danger.
Pros: LOVING IT. Saving lives. Working for a more just and kinder society. The neverending stream of interesting things to learn. (Jackrabbits don't burrow. Many dogs react better to whispers than to a loud voice. There are four different colors of fallow deer. )

3. Depends on your jurisdiction.

4. Yes.

5. I have no "average" days. But if I did, my average day is about 30% wildlife emergencies, 30% complaint investigations, 15% rabies control, and the remainder would be miscellaneous things like cruelty investigations and administrative stuff.

6. Resuscitating a hypothermic baby skunk? Separating two entangled bucks? Successfully tracking an injured fawn from the road to its little hideout? Something like that. I do love my wild brothers.

7. Lousy. Or worse. Many of us have second jobs, on top of the stress of the first one.

8. None here. But I'm sure it depends.

P.S., remember that anonymity is one reason why people feel so free to speak their minds here ... please respect that. How about running the web ID stuff by your teacher and getting back to us on the result?

P.P.S., Good luck with your job decision making! It's important to try for the best fit you can. Just remember that most of us have had two or three careers. If you make a decision and then your life ain't working the way you like it, CHANGE IT. Worked for me!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 02-01-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB

Well, I turned my paper in today! I should get my grade tomorrow. I'm going to try to post it here tomorrow for you all to read too!

Yeah, I didn't quite realize at the time that this board is anonymous for that reason. My apologies, I guess common sense should have told me that. I appreciate anyone who PMed me their names, otherwise I used your screenname or the name in your signature. Names that were PMed to me will be replaced by screennames when I post my essay here.

I'm quite pleased with my paper. Thanks to everyone who replied! Even if I didn't quote you, the information you provided was extremely helpful to my own curiousity.

Someone asked what made me choose to write about ACOs- Honestly, I became interested after watching Animal Planet. I've since learned (thanks to all of you) that it's hardly like the shows on Animal Planet, but I'm still interested. Hey, I guess Animal Planet helped in a way by generating interest in ACOs.

Oh, and everyone was cited and credited in my paper. I had to have two other sources than just interviews, so I used what I found at cxbridges.online.com and the Managing Stress article by Mark Kumpf. Credit is given, however.

Once again, thanks to everyone!
Old 02-01-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenB
Well, I turned my paper in today! I should get my grade tomorrow. I'm going to try to post it here tomorrow for you all to read too!

Yeah, I didn't quite realize at the time that this board is anonymous for that reason. My apologies, I guess common sense should have told me that. I appreciate anyone who PMed me their names, otherwise I used your screenname or the name in your signature. Names that were PMed to me will be replaced by screennames when I post my essay here.

I'm quite pleased with my paper. Thanks to everyone who replied! Even if I didn't quote you, the information you provided was extremely helpful to my own curiousity.

Someone asked what made me choose to write about ACOs- Honestly, I became interested after watching Animal Planet. I've since learned (thanks to all of you) that it's hardly like the shows on Animal Planet, but I'm still interested. Hey, I guess Animal Planet helped in a way by generating interest in ACOs.

Oh, and everyone was cited and credited in my paper. I had to have two other sources than just interviews, so I used what I found at cxbridges.online.com and the Managing Stress article by Mark Kumpf. Credit is given, however.

Once again, thanks to everyone!
Always makes me happy that the information is helpful! I didn't mean to sound short but there are quite a few here who use this board for stress relief and value their privacy in that regard. Sometimes we aren't as PC as some would like, and that can also be a reason for wanting to keep info away from casual observation. I am sure that many would be happy to help and probably many did so. I am not only on this board but on thecatsite.com as their consulting ACO. I use my real name, and stand behind my own words (good or bad) and as you might have discovered...

I always strive to be an Optimstic ACO!

Hope you get an "A"!

Mark
Old 02-01-2006
Probationary Trainee

KristenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
I didn't mean to sound short but there are quite a few here who use this board for stress relief and value their privacy in that regard. Sometimes we aren't as PC as some would like, and that can also be a reason for wanting to keep info away from casual observation.
Yeah, I never really thought about that before and it's totally understandable.
Old 02-01-2006
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default Kristen B.

Kristen B. congrats and good luck. Seems like you did your re-search and I wish you only the best. Cant wait to see your paper.

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2006
Probationary Trainee

Another ACO

My interview was about ten minutes. The Sherfff asked if I was a licenes driver and if I was afraid of dogs. I told hem I was and I wasnt. I started the next morning with a big ring of keys (like 25 - I know what 4 do so far), a clipboard with some 10 codes, a ketchpole, a lether leash and a ticket book. Its been fun.
Earl