ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 09-29-2008
Probationary Trainee

Slfox is on a distinguished road
Default 20 year retirement????

Hey Guys-

Just wondering if any of you fall under the Police Department and have a 20 year retirement. We are putting together a new retirement proposal for our division and are looking for stats.

We are also curious to see how many have had ACO's retire? Seems we have a huge turnover as a lot of our ACO's have burned out or moved on. We are including info on compassion fatigue with our proposal, but any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe.
Sheri
Old 09-29-2008
Certified Posting ACO

emtou

I am considered a General Government employee even though I work at the police department, drive a police vehicle, wear a uniform and carry a gun. If someone wants animal control they have to call the police. However, my retirement followes that of General Government and not the police. Before I can retire with full benefits I must have at least 25 years of service and reach a minimue age of 55.
Old 09-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Here is the complicated answer to you're simple question. We have the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS), and many Texas cities use them for their retirement system. TMRS will allow retirements as early as 20, or when a certain age is reached, but it is up to each individual city to adopt 20 or 25 years.

The rule when you have worked for more than one TMRS city is that you have to satisfy all of the cities requirements before you can draw youíre benefit. I have worked for 3 TMRS cities, 2 were 25 years, and the last one was 20, but I would have to wait until 25 to retire because of the service with the first two. Unfortunately there are too many retirees drawing benefits now, so the word is that TMRS is going to up the minimum to 25 years.

You can also retire from one TMRS city, then go to work for another without effecting youíre retirement benefit, so long as you have never worked for that city before. I have 25 years of cumulous service, so I can retire any time I want, but at $1700 per month retirement benefit I canít afford to.

When I was in basic ACO training, they told us the average turn over was 18 months on an ACO. Of course, that was over 20 years ago, so things may have changed. There are a bunch of us older folk still around, but I donít know all that many who still work in the field. Most have moved into admin positions, or gone to HSUS or something like that. I know very few who have actually retired. Most have either quit, been fired or have transferred to some other position in the city.
Old 09-30-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish we did!!!
Old 09-30-2008
Forum Friend

boxermomma is on a distinguished road

We fall under the same TMRS that GTO spoke of. Our department has never had an ACO retire. Our current Chief ACO has been here 19 1/2 years and plans to retire next year sometime. He will be the first!

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain
Old 09-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

I know one that retired and went to work for another city in animal control, so does that count? I know one who retired and went to work for HSUS, and the supervisor at my previous city retired after I left (dang it). I know there are few agencies where the dept administrator hasnít been in the field in so long they canít remember how to use a pole, and those are the folks who retire from animal control. But most of us are in the field every day, and that is not something I plan to be doing when Iím 60.
Old 09-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We have a 20 year plan. The longer you stay on the bigger your pension will be. We have one guy who has been with the county as an ACO for 30 years. He would "make" more money being retired then working every day but he loves what he does so everyday he is out there doing his thing.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 09-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Careening ever so slightly off topic, I remember in a seminar hearing that the average ACO lasts 5 years on the job. Stress, lack of compensation, injury, frustration, inflammatory politics ... that's how most of us get "separated from employment." So retirement is for those lucky souls who survive long enough.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 09-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
Careening ever so slightly off topic, I remember in a seminar hearing that the average ACO lasts 5 years on the job. Stress, lack of compensation, injury, frustration, inflammatory politics ... that's how most of us get "separated from employment." So retirement is for those lucky souls who survive long enough.
See, things are getting better! When I heard the stat it was 18 months.
Old 10-01-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
Sweet! I am nearly to that 5-year make-or-break mark...guess I outcrazied the crazy job! YA!!!!!

ďNot to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.Ē
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~