ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-20-2008
ChicagoACOSupervisor's Avatar
ChicagoACOSupervisor ChicagoACOSupervisor is offline
Almighty ACO
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago, ILL
Posts: 975
ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor
Default

Here in Chicago, we do not charge citizens to bring in their animals. We are an open admissions shelter, so if it has fur and a heartbeat, we take it in. We do, however, charge $10 if the owner is requesting euthanasia, to offset some of the cost of the drugs and disposal.
__________________
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. --Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2008
Scooterchic's Avatar
Scooterchic Scooterchic is offline
Moderator
Giga-posting ACO
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 1,596
Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default

Not sure of the fees but we charge everyone. If they call us we pick up the animal for free, sorta. The city we are in for the call pays us for it. If they are pissed off because it is their animal and refuse to take it in themselves (we do not pick up owned animals) because of the fees I make a note of that house and animal. If I come back later that day, week or month and find that dog running loose I cite them for dog at large. I don't frak around with these people. It makes me sick that people would ever just "throw" their pets away so I do whatever I can to stop it.


Cheers, Scooterchic
__________________
It's not a damn moped, it's a scooter!

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2008
cdf331 cdf331 is offline
Probationary Trainee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13
cdf331 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf331 View Post
our shelter here charge $10.00 a head and it creat a problems for us
no if owner surrender a animal that want want put animal down the owner has to take a local vet to put down the animal but animal here is privately owned and run , our city doesn't run a city shelter
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2008
BernCo_Geo's Avatar
BernCo_Geo BernCo_Geo is offline
Kennel Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Burque, NM.
Posts: 331
BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Not sure of the fees but we charge everyone. If they call us we pick up the animal for free, sorta. The city we are in for the call pays us for it. If they are pissed off because it is their animal and refuse to take it in themselves (we do not pick up owned animals) because of the fees I make a note of that house and animal. If I come back later that day, week or month and find that dog running loose I cite them for dog at large. I don't frak around with these people. It makes me sick that people would ever just "throw" their pets away so I do whatever I can to stop it.


Cheers, Scooterchic
Happens to us almost everyday. And our legal department dont care to listen.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-21-2008
ChicagoACOSupervisor's Avatar
ChicagoACOSupervisor ChicagoACOSupervisor is offline
Almighty ACO
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago, ILL
Posts: 975
ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Not sure of the fees but we charge everyone. If they call us we pick up the animal for free, sorta. The city we are in for the call pays us for it. If they are pissed off because it is their animal and refuse to take it in themselves (we do not pick up owned animals) because of the fees I make a note of that house and animal. If I come back later that day, week or month and find that dog running loose I cite them for dog at large. I don't frak around with these people. It makes me sick that people would ever just "throw" their pets away so I do whatever I can to stop it.


Cheers, Scooterchic
This is why I disagree with charging people to turn their animals in. They get told they have to pay a fee, then we get to go out and chase their dogs/cats/mountain goats, whatever around, then have to cite the owner for abandonment.

With our economy so screwed up, people do not want to pay for stuff like this! I dunno...I think if they pay taxes in your jurisdiction, they are paying for your services anyway, so why charge them again to do the right thing? They get told that they have to pay $20-50 to just turn their animal into AC instead of putting it out on the street to fend for itself.....just doesn't make sense to me.
__________________
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. --Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-21-2008
Laelaps Laelaps is offline
Field Operative
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 268
Laelaps is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoACOSupervisor View Post
I dunno...I think if they pay taxes in your jurisdiction, they are paying for your services anyway, so why charge them again to do the right thing? They get told that they have to pay $20-50 to just turn their animal into AC instead of putting it out on the street to fend for itself.....just doesn't make sense to me.
Taxpayers are paying for our services, yes, but what services is animal control supposed to provide? Rabies control and stray animal control. Animal control is not a place where you take your unwanted pets because you didn't plan for the responsibility ahead of time. It's not a dumping ground, but people somehow think that this is what animal control facilities are for. In fact, most of people dumping their animals insist that since they pay taxes WE should have to take responsibility for THEIR unwanted pets, and don't you dare euthanize it because it's a good dog and doesn't deserve to die!
If the taxpayers want animal control to perform these additional services, they're going to have to help pay additional money for them.
In a city like ours where we literally have people lined up outside the entrance when we open in the morning because 'I can't get him to stop peeing in the house' or 'he jumps the fence' or 'my kid didn't get good grades and this is his punishment' or 'we had a new baby' it's ridiculous to let these people think they can just dump their problem animal on us and we'll take care of it, free of charge. No more worries for poor old animal owner. If someone is turning their animal in because they can't afford to feed it and they are truly in need we do our best to work with them, but the majority of people dumping their animals on us are just shirking their duties as a pet owner.

Last edited by Laelaps; 09-21-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-21-2008
ACO 1989 ACO 1989 is offline
Probationary Trainee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6
ACO 1989 is on a distinguished road
Default fees vs. donations

Our humane society charges a $25 fee if it's your pet you surrender, nothing if it's a stray.
Ergo, they get a LOT of strays...

By the same token if we in the field get someone who wants to surrender a pet we usually don't do the pick-up. We urge them to take to the shelter themselves. That way we can avoid the whole money-in-the field issue.

However, we DO charge a reclaim fee of $15 in the field if we pick up a pet and the owner meets up with us before we get to the shelter. Usually we only charge them if they are "repeat customers".

Hope that helps you..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-21-2008
kgill's Avatar
kgill kgill is offline
Almighty ACO
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 835
kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill
Default

[quote=Roxie;35739 The shelter here more or less charges what they want and if the owners can't pay they do not take the animal, they are told to contact Animal Control. [/quote]

I think they need to be told to cut out the middle man (ie Animal Control) and just take the animal in. The animal winds up back at the shelter anyway doesn't it? You should talk to the managment/board to change that bad policy. Most of the time they are good samaritans trying to do good and others are "responsible" enough owners to know that they can't handle the animal and are trying to do the right thing .... That's like being refused medical treatment because you don't have health insurance. It's crap!
________
m102

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-21-2008
kgill's Avatar
kgill kgill is offline
Almighty ACO
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 835
kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
We get $15 for an owner surrender, an adjoing city to me gets $13. We don't charge for strays, thusly every animal brought to us is a "stray", and I cannot collect money in the field.
My last jurisdiction charged $25. My new one, $0
________
medical marijuana

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-21-2008
ChicagoACOSupervisor's Avatar
ChicagoACOSupervisor ChicagoACOSupervisor is offline
Almighty ACO
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago, ILL
Posts: 975
ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laelaps View Post
Taxpayers are paying for our services, yes, but what services is animal control supposed to provide? Rabies control and stray animal control. Animal control is not a place where you take your unwanted pets because you didn't plan for the responsibility ahead of time. It's not a dumping ground, but people somehow think that this is what animal control facilities are for. In fact, most of people dumping their animals insist that since they pay taxes WE should have to take responsibility for THEIR unwanted pets, and don't you dare euthanize it because it's a good dog and doesn't deserve to die!
If the taxpayers want animal control to perform these additional services, they're going to have to help pay additional money for them.
In a city like ours where we literally have people lined up outside the entrance when we open in the morning because 'I can't get him to stop peeing in the house' or 'he jumps the fence' or 'my kid didn't get good grades and this is his punishment' or 'we had a new baby' it's ridiculous to let these people think they can just dump their problem animal on us and we'll take care of it, free of charge. No more worries for poor old animal owner. If someone is turning their animal in because they can't afford to feed it and they are truly in need we do our best to work with them, but the majority of people dumping their animals on us are just shirking their duties as a pet owner.
That is a good point, Laelaps, a very good point. However, I am curious to know what type of jurisdiction do you cover? I work for Chicago, so basically, if we don't come pick it up, it will get dumped on the streets to fend for itself, given away to a "friend" aka dogfighter, but either way, we will have to eventually deal with it. I got told this by my FTO, the very first day I started as a greenhorn ACO: " If you learn anything, please learn this. People are f-ing stupid! Keep that in mind!" And yeah, people bring us animals into the ACC facility here, telling us anything but the truth 99% of the time. However, what is the shelter ultimately? A safe haven for those animals, because people are either stupid when it comes to their pets, or cannot afford to pay for basic needs for their pets. That is the world we live in, where people have to choose either to feed themselves and their families, or feed the dog.

Now I am going to get the argument that those people shouldn't have a dog then. Okay....sure.....but what if 6 months ago, they WERE able to take care of their pet, and now they cannot? Think outside the box, folks....

You do make a great argument, in that animal controls main function is the protection of the public. I will agree to that...however, our secondary function is protection of the animal population.

The main problem is that we live in a world now, where people do not take responsibility for themselves, their actions, their kids, their pets, etc. So, unfortunately, we now have to step in and intervene.

So, look at the big picture here, officer. Think outside the box of "it's not OUR job", because yes, it is our job. Animal Control is the product of people's irresponsibilities.
__________________
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. --Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2007 ACOFunStop.Com. All rights reserved.