ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-21-2006
Forum Friend

dug e
Default EAMT

GIA,
The Oklahoma Animal Control Associations acadamy teaches a block of American red cross pet first aid. Its 8 hours long but I use the book to get more in depth. I think a vet wood have to certify you for anything more than ACO stuff.

Doug
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 01-22-2006
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default Red Cross

Red Cross does put out a good pet first aid course. I was certified in FIrst Aid, Adult CPR, Child CPR, AED First Response and Pet First Aid all through the Red Cross and loved it. I am getting ready to sign up for more classes cause I am sure my certs have run out. Being that here in Newport News they dont make it mandatory for us to be certified, I want to keep current for myself.

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2006
Forum Friend

five_dash_seven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to five_dash_seven

we are very lucky to have 2 emergency vets that are open 24 hours. so for us, the scoop and run works well.

i think it'd be cool if mtv would 'pimp' my dog truck, lol
Old 01-23-2006
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

I'm with 5-7, but with all my vet experience, I find myself doing different things in the field. Seems like really applicable training for areas like pheonix. I think most rural communities should consider it.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 01-25-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat
Default Fundraising isn't only for AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAS1
EVERYONE that has posted before me is right. I saw the same thing on AP and I wish i could afford just one of their old trucks. Animal Cops, Hero's, ect. has done a great job getting some of what we do out there in the public eye and helping erase some of the old stereo typing of what animal control was. On the other hand the show also states after each commercial that they are privetly funded agencys that rely on YOUR or PUBLIC donations (so don't forget to give).
We all have great ideas on what would work for our trucks, in our areas.
It takes a good amount of work to raise funds even when you're a well-endowed organization. But government agencies are eligible for gifts and grants, too. What grant proposal writers need help with usually is selling the idea of the purchase. How much would the truck cost in our area? Would this purchase save money, and if so, how? How much? Do we have to outright buy one or is there a company that would donate it? ALSO, if we got the money for the truck, how would we pay for maintenance, gas, insurance...

I am not trying to douse your enthusiasm. I'm only saying that when you say you need funding, you CAN do more than gripe!
Old 01-25-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Actually, that's what we need a hecka more of in the field ... people who know how to write grants. Our budget is constantly secondary to the shelter's ... so the answer to requests for new equipment, etc., is always, "well, you can't have everything."

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 01-25-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the only place I can gripe and some people at least know what Iím talking about. Unfortunately I own, operate, and pay for everything my company dose. I am a private contractor too the towns that can't afford their own animal control program in my area. I pay for all training, trucks, and equipment. Because we are a private company, we do not qualify for grants. (I wish I did.)
With what little we do have, my company tries very hard to make a difference in the communities we service. We always remember that we represent the township, there for, try our hardest not to embarrass the township. We do fundraising for the local animal rescue groups, and help them find new grants. For those of you that can and do write grants on a regular basis, my hat goes off to you.
This online community has been one of the best resources for help that is available to any one in our chosen profession. When I do ďgripeĒ on this site, most of the time some very good suggestions come from my fellow officers. (Especially Mark)
Now back to the topic at hand AEMT Training. Iíve contacted a few of my local vets and a few of them are interested in making a small outline of some things that ACOís may need to know above the basic first aid. Itís nothing official but it couldnít hurt. It will also help us keep in practice with the skills we donít use every day.
Old 01-25-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Hey! Pass that around when available ... I can typeset and edit if needed!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 01-26-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
Animal Planet is one of my favorite channel's

Sunny
ME TOO! I watch the dog shows to better identify dog breeds, watch Animal Cops for inspiration (or to yell "What the hell are you doing?!" -- very theraputic) and watch the training shows and vet shows 'cause they're facinating. I watch so much Animal Planet that I think I should be able to write my cable bill off my taxes as a work related expense!
Old 01-27-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAS1
This is the only place I can gripe and some people at least know what Iím talking about. Unfortunately I own, operate, and pay for everything my company dose. I am a private contractor too the towns that can't afford their own animal control program in my area. I pay for all training, trucks, and equipment. Because we are a private company, we do not qualify for grants. (I wish I did.)
With what little we do have, my company tries very hard to make a difference in the communities we service. We always remember that we represent the township, there for, try our hardest not to embarrass the township. We do fundraising for the local animal rescue groups, and help them find new grants. For those of you that can and do write grants on a regular basis, my hat goes off to you.
This online community has been one of the best resources for help that is available to any one in our chosen profession. When I do ďgripeĒ on this site, most of the time some very good suggestions come from my fellow officers. (Especially Mark)
Now back to the topic at hand AEMT Training. Iíve contacted a few of my local vets and a few of them are interested in making a small outline of some things that ACOís may need to know above the basic first aid. Itís nothing official but it couldnít hurt. It will also help us keep in practice with the skills we donít use every day.
OK so how do we "show you the money". First, look at starting your own support non-profit "Friends of Animal Control". Note that your group's purpose is to seek grants for local ACOs (whether public or private) and then start asking. The larger corps like PetsMart, HSUS, ASPCA are all interested in giving to groups that are making positive steps in animal control. Use the FoAC to network with other local groups and seek help for them.

Next, consider including some pass along to the localities. Look at state standards and ask each local government to consider funding additional service hours for improved contractor training. Not knowing how your contracts are structured, its hard to offer more concrete suggestions on this angle.

Even if you don't go the NP route, consider asking HSUS & ASPCA for $$$ anyway. A well written letter seeking assistance with training for staff engaged in the AC field would be well received, especially if you pointed out that your agency is committed to providing humane care and treatment at your expense. Sure sounds like a charitable operation if you are paying for it and not charging the city's extra. Join NACA. The ASPCA has just funded a grant that covers NINE conference registrations for the upcoming conference in Ok City. Tuition only but hey, its a start! Get involved at the state level if you aren't already. Get the state association on board.

While you are at it, I sure hope you are documenting the bonus service you are providing. When it comes to the annual report, take that 5 minutes to appear at each town council that you serve, provide them with YOUR copy of the year's accomplishments and then LIST all the extra services that you have provided at your company's cost in an effort to be a great community partner. Most of these councils will most likely have no idea about your good deeds unless you give them the info. A nice printed report with some charts and numbers. Several pictures of your staff at work. Heck, hand out customer comment cards in the field with the always popular, How did I do today? type questions. Crank up the customer satisfaction and let the locals know that they are getting positive community relations by contracting with your company. Again, you may get a benefit from this long term. Stand up and speak for those five minutes. Thank them, thank the community, take a minute to know their names and faces so if they ask a question you can respond " Councilman Smith, I am glad you asked me that..."

Never fear asking. The answer is one of three. Yes, No, or hysterical laughter. If you can deal with people laughing, ask the question. And any good question is worth asking until you get the answer you seek. Incrementalism and compromise are the truth means to obtain enlightenment. Or in this case, get the tightfisted ones to part with some more $$$$.

And thanks for the compliment. Now I gotta figure out how to get my fat head through the door again. Anyone got any vaseline?