ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-18-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

GIA RODRIGUEZ
Send a message via MSN to GIA RODRIGUEZ
Default About EAMT Training

I was watching Animal Planet last night and saw the EAMT unit in Arizona. My question is where and what training have they received for their job discriptions. We don't have anything like that in our area and we could use even the field training. As a municipal animal control we don't have the funds to actually use an ambulance but the training would still be good.We handle a lot of wildlife as well.
Old 01-18-2006
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Spay Shuttle

Very cool idea. I tried once a few years back to get the city to donate one of their old MICU.s for a similar deal. Now cities usually contract those services out, and don't own any of the ambulances. I hope someone gets the deal to go down. I think that once a few of these types of vehicles are seen out and about, the idea will snowball, and it will be trendy to have that service provided. I still want to paint a van in honor of the Space shuttles Columbia and Challenger, and use it to transport animals to a local low cost spay/neuter clinic. The Spay Shuttle!!!
Old 01-18-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

I also would love to see these out there. Also, Animal Planet is one of my favorite channel's

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 01-18-2006
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

That may be valuable in some places but, IMHO, if you have a Vet nearby you're better off scooping them up and running them to the Vet then playing Veterinarian in the field. But, like I said, in other places where you might have to run a ways to get to a Vet it might be worth it.
Old 01-19-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
I also would love to see these out there. Also, Animal Planet is one of my favorite channel's

Sunny
I wish AP would be a little more realistic in their protrayals of shelters. They aren't all the big well funded places people see on there. Having a hospital clinic & umpteen vets on staff is something most will never see. Going out & picking up peoples pets just because they no longer want to be responsible for them is BS IMO. I wish they would ride with some of the small poorly funded ACO's & see what life is really like. How about showing euthanasia, thats pretty real. Or the gas chambers. Let the world see what THEY have caused the dreaded "dog ketcher" to haver to do.

I have seen so many things done on there that are just plain stupid - give a starving dog a bag of food & a bucket of water - & LEAVE! Then go back the next day & OMG it bloated!!!!!!!!

I'm glad they have at least brought cruelty to the forefront, I just think they could do a much greater service to the animals by showing the more commonly found type shelter & ACO that really struggle to stay afloat.
Old 01-19-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw
That may be valuable in some places but, IMHO, if you have a Vet nearby you're better off scooping them up and running them to the Vet then playing Veterinarian in the field. But, like I said, in other places where you might have to run a ways to get to a Vet it might be worth it.
In our county we have it both ways ... if you're on the main highway through the county, you're never more than 10 minutes from a vet, so unless the animal needs CPR or immediate treatment for overheating, you are usually better off just grabbing and going. On the other hand, if you're out on the coast, it could be an hour or more to the nearest vet, and then sometimes a little triage is in order.

I haven't seen the show (some of us more poorly funded ACOs can't afford cable!) but I heard from a fellow officer that she thought it was an interesting idea (and that I should go down there RIGHT now because I'm so into the non-human paramedicine angle of the job).

At least in my county, we do EMT work at least as much as we do law enforcement ... kind of interesting to call yourself that instead of "officer." Still, being called Officer is not a problem on the EMT calls, whereas being called an "EAMT" might be a liability on the law enforcement calls, yes?

Again, kind of second-hand, I've heard lots of comments about sloppy procedures on Animal Cops ... the San Francisco agency (which is the next agency south of us) seems to have some issues around officer safety training. But we all have to modify our services to match our environments -- Marin is not great at officer safety, either, but in four years I've only had someone even cuss me out once, and he was drunk at the time.

A friend lent me videos of Houston's shows, and I enjoyed them. Quite a difference from our shelter -- here we go on and on and on mollycoddling people with livestock they can't or won't take care of, and it's nice to see an agency that just steps in and says, enough...

My two cents -- Mark, pay attention, this is your next idea to give an equipment company -- is that, whether or not we learn to triage properly, the way we transport needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY better all round. Sometimes I put a wild something in those rattle-y back compartments, with nothing but a towel and a box to protect them from the noise and fumes, and think, hope you survive the shock of your first car trip!! We need someone to design:

* animal backboard(s) that really work. Our stretchers are a joke.
* somekind of gizmo like a floating floor, to keep the animal level as the car turns and twists on mountain roads
* some kind of washable, disinfectable sound barrier in the compartments -- maybe a magnetic quilted something, that would attach to the compartment walls? I dunno.

Maybe they already have these things in Arizona, since I haven't seen the show. That would be cool.

Winnie
Old 01-19-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

You're not alone, stmelangell, I don't have cable either
Old 01-19-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I bet the farm keeps you too busy to miss it! (I really don't miss mine much, except for Animal Planet and Monk.)

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 01-19-2006
Forum Friend

dug e
Default Your Market

Quote:
stmelangell said
My two cents -- Mark, pay attention, this is your next idea to give an equipment company -- is that, whether or not we learn to triage properly, the way we transport needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY better all round. Sometimes I put a wild something in those rattle-y back compartments, with nothing but a towel and a box to protect them from the noise and fumes, and think, hope you survive the shock of your first car trip!! We need someone to design:

* animal backboard(s) that really work. Our stretchers are a joke.
* somekind of gizmo like a floating floor, to keep the animal level as the car turns and twists on mountain roads
* some kind of washable, disinfectable sound barrier in the compartments -- maybe a magnetic quilted something, that would attach to the compartment walls? I dunno.
I hope I did the quote thing right.

Winnie,
This sounds to me like a killer idea. You should write it up, get a patent and make lots of money. You could use the money to do good things!! The money could support you and yours by purchasing a large house in the burbs and go to school for whatever you desire. You could become a lobbyist for animal control issues and Mark could be the legal representation. Better yet, you could become an attorney and help Mark help us all. With your legal and lobby skills we could all become federal agents and help animals all over the country!!! Long live stmelangell!!!!! YOU ROCK!

Thank you,
Doug
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 01-19-2006
Forum Friend

dug e

Didnt do the quote thing right. Sorry. I am a nice guy but Im real slow.

(fixed it - mark)
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"