ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

The way TCAP works, or did until they opened their North Ft. Worth clinic, was that the host agency would provide the space and the O2, and they did everything else. That is how they keep their overhead low enough to do an 80Lb dog spay for $55. For the reception area, surgery suite, prep area and recovery area, they need about 1000’ of open space, so if say WalMart were to proceed with such a plan, they would need to build a 1000 sq. ft. building in the vicinity of the store, and donate its use to a not for profit group, like TCAP, to use as a tax write off.

Schools, churches, property owners with vacant commercial property, virtually anybody with a vacant area that is large enough, and has easy clean floors (to get the blood and urine up) could do it.
Old 08-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

My vision of the Wal-Mart Spay/Neuter clinic is as easy as the purchasing of a Big Mac at the Wal-Marts that have McD's in them. You go to the cashier and point at the picture (Dog or Cat) (Girl or Boy or "I dunno"). The charge you, give you a ticket and a disposable leash or a box to put said critter in, and tell you to bring the animal any time, and that you have to leave it over 2 nights. (That way you dont have to schedule it... if they bring it in late, it has surgery the next day...) Pick up is the third day, any time.

Then you drive around, just like you bought tires, and drop off the pet in something similar to a garage. pull your car in, they shut the door and take the animal. Once animal is secured you back out and wave goodbye.

Im tellin ya, it is solid gold.
Old 08-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I had though about extended hours, TCAP is in by 9, out by 5, and I figured WalMart could do later pick up hours. How about 24 hour drop off & pick up? Then the vet could be in for 4 or 5 hours during the day, do their thing, and start all over again tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Now, I see that never happening..but I do think it is a great idea. However I do think Walmart should have an adoption area for cats and small animals.

Sunny
Half the Wal-Marts I've been to can't even take care of their fish/betas... and you want cats in there???
________
vermont medical marijuana

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2008
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgill View Post
Half the Wal-Marts I've been to can't even take care of their fish/betas... and you want cats in there???
Hmmm, maybe an outreach program to WalMart to educate them on basic requirements for animal care. ACOs with WalMarts in their areas (even if you don't have authority over petstores or fish) could still offer some educational tips to them.
Healthy Pets 4 Our Community

The (jurisdiction / agency) recognizes that pets of all kinds are part of our community. As a retail outlet offering live animals for sale, we hope you share our committment to making sure that every animal is properly cared for while in our community. We have a variety of information on care standards as well as copies of state laws & regulations that may apply to your retail business. If you would like to schedule a short training session on these for staff and management who are responsible for the live animals, we would be happy to go over these with you in person.

Additionally, we can also set up a courtesy inspection program to give you an idea of how your business is performing related to those standards. As part of this we will evaluate your housing areas, overall animal appearance, health and conditions and verify that all live animals offered for sale are legal in our area.

Dogs and cats require (licenses, rabies vaccinations) at (age) in our community. We can provide information for your retail location to offer or post in regards to these regulations so that your customers can be sure that they have complied with their legal responsibility. Applications, mail-in forms, online registrations or actual licenses can be made available for your retail location to include or sell. As us how to join this important effort!
Establishing such a program may prevent many headaches in the future, increase compliance with state and local regulations and improve the overall care/conditions of animals offered for sale. Part of the education, courtesy inspection program can allow you access and give you an opportunity to correct practices or violations before animals end up suffering needlessly. Even if you dont have jurisdiction to issue a violation, someone in your state does and by helping identify those areas that could lead to legal action, many retailers might be more willing to enlist your help. Setting up a voluntary subscription to your "Retail Pet Report Card" program can fund the visits, pay for the "ABCDE" signs to show a rating for the store's performance and in turn be used by the retailer to show that they are making an effort to properly care for animals in their store.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO ADVOCATE FOR PET STORES. The reality is that we have them and they are in our community. Fighting them is sometimes counter productive. Getting them to cooperate and offering them some type of benefit for doing the right thing can vastly improve the lives of the animals that ARE going to be in those places whether we "want" them there or not. Cats & Dogs? - see if you can arrange to be the source for the animals instead of wholesalers or mills. Make the location into your offsite adoption location.

Bottom line, even if they aren't your first (second or even third) choice for where animals are kept or offered, you can make it your mission to see that they are adequately housed & cared for.
Old 08-31-2008
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

And if you haven't noticed by now, I look at every complaint as an opportunity for me to educate and improve. Rather than look for barriers or reasons not to do something, I want to find ways to DO something. Accept a little bit of progress towards a better way of doing things. Maybe today isn't perfect and next week isn't either but if I am on the road to improvement, I know I can make a difference.

Time to go visit my local WalMart and offer this as I have zero jurisdiction on petstores but I can sure make it a voluntary program they won't want to miss out on!
Old 08-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Excellent points!!!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-31-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Our Wal-Mart got out of the live animal business a while ago...used to sell fish and occasionally pocket pets, but I haven't seen a mammal in there for many years and last year they took out all their aquariums. The closest they come now is an announcement board where our shelter posts photos and bios on pets they have available for adoption.

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~