ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road
Default Brainstorming on Spay / Neuter

I had never heard of the Asillomar Accords until today, but id doesnít sound like Iíve missed much. We never double anything up except for siblings or parent/litter, and I have to leave cages open every weekend in case the PD brings something in.

Iíve said it before, and Iíll say it again, there is no plan, goal, procedure or anything else that is going to decrease euthanasias until there is a nation wide, low cost spay/neuter program so that we can cut off the source.

If Wal Mart would open spay/neuter clinics at all of their super centers, then we may have a chance.
Old 08-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse
Default Wal-mart spay/neuter idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
.....If Wal Mart would open spay/neuter clinics at all of their super centers, then we may have a chance.
Ok, honestly, THAT is brilliant. THAT would really help. And every vet association in every state would fight that tooth and nail...

But for the bigger picture of animal overpopulation, I think you have a brilliant idea.
Old 08-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
If Wal Mart would open spay/neuter clinics at all of their super centers, then we may have a chance.
Now, I see that never happening..but I do think it is a great idea. However I do think Walmart should have an adoption area for cats and small animals.

Petsmart is not even has big as Walmart and they are exceeding over and over again for the plight of homeless pets. Just think of what Walmart could do. Since Walmart is HUGE company, their resources and sponsors they could get......yeah I like this idea...Good job GTO.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 08-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell
Default Wal-mart spay/neuter idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laelaps View Post
Our ordinance also requires a $45 per litter 'litter permit' and the main local newspaper requires their permit number to post a litter for sale.
I LOVE that idea. That's wonderful. A very creative and intelligent solution to the whole small-puppy-milling-business problem.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-28-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

It's really opened a lot of people's eyes. I supervise adoptions, and I interview a lot of people for approval before they can adopt. If they list current pets as intact I start explaining the new ordinance to them, and then I tell them- 'we may be able to go ahead and get them spayed or neutered for you, for as little as $10'. Most people choose the $10 option.

Surprisingly, the group that fought this ordinance the hardest was the ''Responsible'' pet owners alliance. They said the 'government' was trying to take away their rights to breed their pets if they wanted. This of course is a completely flawed argument because we still allow breeding, you just have to pay for it.
Old 08-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laelaps View Post
They said the 'government' was trying to take away their rights to breed their pets if they wanted. This of course is a completely flawed argument because we still allow breeding, you just have to pay for it.
And how people hate having to pay for the results of their actions, especially up front ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-29-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Wow the walmart thing would be an awesome idea. Seriously. How many people shop there. hundres-thousands throughout the week. lol Who knows it might happen. They are talking about having a walk in clinic for low income families. Wal-marts are taking over the world. :S

I sent that link to my director. Cause our board members are asking about animal pick ups in certain areas. Our program we are using at the moment sux.

Hey quick Q! What programs do u all use for dispatching? if u use something other then Police/fire department dispatch systems?
Old 08-29-2008
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Mod note

This thread is an offspring of the Asilomar Accords thread. Getting Too Old suggested an idea that took on a life (and now a thread) of its own. Where else could spay / neuter clinics work well in a "non traditional" setting?
Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
Where else could spay / neuter clinics work well in a "non traditional" setting?
Hmmm, out in the county there are many little villages around the chili farms. There are many migrant workers who have very little and their animals are the most in need. All of those communities use the fire dept. for just about everything. So here, parking the spay neuter van in front of a fire stations would work.
Old 08-30-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Uncle Fester is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
This thread is an offspring of the Asilomar Accords thread. Getting Too Old suggested an idea that took on a life (and now a thread) of its own. Where else could spay / neuter clinics work well in a "non traditional" setting?
Well, shopping malls but the rent would kill ya'. I have to wonder what would the health code problems be since many Wal-Marts also have groceries and food for sale?

I think at least part of the problem is, many veterinarians "profits above all" attitute.
Think about it-why would Veterinarians want a decrease in the animal population? It means less work and less dollars for them, doesn't it?
Let's say that a dog or cat has a litter of 5 that end up and the shelter, four are put down and one makes it out.
Why should the vet care about the other 4 that will never become a patient anyway?

What about public schools in the summer/off season or weekends/holidays? Can anyone think of a better way to convince the next generation of the importance of spay/neuter than having it actually performed at the school where your kids learn?Talk about incorporating it into the lesson plan!
The buildings are just sitting there empty in the off-season, we paid for 'em, let's use 'em! We could even make the teachers help out and give them something else to whine about.
My God, many schools have DAY CARE in them for the teenage moms, let's find some more utilizaton here and give the taxpayers more value for their dollar.
Where you have schools, you have kids, where you have kids you have pets and many parents would get the pet fixed just to get their kid to stop bugging them about it.