ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-31-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also think opossums are just too cute. Sitting on my desk is "Pete" a stuffed (toy) opossum my kids bought me. He's the office mascot.

There have been some great opossum tips here, but no one has mentioned the OMG-what-died smell. I was called out to a restaurant because a mama and her babies were holed up in a corner. Mom was obviously terrified. I used a 3 foot ketchpole for mom (picked babies up by the tail), put them in a tranfer cage and took everybody to the nautre preserve. In the process she released the worst smell ever -- like something had died and spent two days rotting in the summer sun (I'm gagging just remembering it). So my #1 opossum advice -- try not to scare it, especially if you've just eaten lunch.
Old 08-31-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Thaks for all the input. Here's another question, have opossums been known to scratch as self-defense?
Old 08-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Any animal with claws will scratch. As a primary defence, no: they don't reach out and take a swipe at you like a cat or a raccoon would. But, like any other wild mammal, 5 out of 6 of their ends are pointy, and it behooves you to watch out. Remember, they think you're going to kill and eat them, so they will use ANY defense they can.

Incidentally, ksbirdhse gave me sh1t about the "no tail" thing ... she thinks that the non-pointy end is a good handle for those who are trying to avoid a bite and have no significant experience with the species. However, as supersig proved, you can grab the tail and have the opossum turn on that very flexible limb and snag you that way. So really, aim for a good, solid grip on their upper back/lower neck, which makes it impossible for them to bite you and gives you better control of the animal. Plus, of course, avoiding any part of the animal that is typically broken or injured, e.g. jaw, leg, flank, so you don't hurt "Pete."

Who knew I knew this much about opossums??? Somebody ask me about deer. I double-dare you. I triple-dog-dare you!!!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 08-31-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
Any animal with claws will scratch. As a primary defence, no: they don't reach out and take a swipe at you like a cat or a raccoon would. But, like any other wild mammal, 5 out of 6 of their ends are pointy, and it behooves you to watch out. Remember, they think you're going to kill and eat them, so they will use ANY defense they can.

Incidentally, ksbirdhse gave me sh1t about the "no tail" thing ... she thinks that the non-pointy end is a good handle for those who are trying to avoid a bite and have no significant experience with the species. However, as supersig proved, you can grab the tail and have the opossum turn on that very flexible limb and snag you that way. So really, aim for a good, solid grip on their upper back/lower neck, which makes it impossible for them to bite you and gives you better control of the animal. Plus, of course, avoiding any part of the animal that is typically broken or injured, e.g. jaw, leg, flank, so you don't hurt "Pete."

Who knew I knew this much about opossums??? Somebody ask me about deer. I double-dare you. I triple-dog-dare you!!!
Thanks for all the opossum facts. I will be in the field today, so I am going to try all the tactics mentioned in this thread, IF we get any opossum calls, whhich, I am sure we will. So what about dear?
Old 09-01-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

With sick and injured we either take them to a vet to be euthanized or we call a Park Ranger (and they do the same) If it's nuisance, in a trap or otherwise, it's released if there's nothing wrong with it. If it's a really residential area we'll take it to our wildlife center or (LOL) call a Park Ranger. We have choices here.
________
toyota mark x specifications

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post

soooo....which end do you grab a deer by?

Old 09-02-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Same-same. Avoid the five pointy ends in favor of the soft poopy end. Unfortunately, where deer are concerned, the soft poopy end has a good likelihood of inspiring some fast bucking pointy-end action too. So rule #1 about deer: don't mess with them unless you have NO CHOICE. I think I'll start a new thread for it, though ... since this is technically titled "Opossums."

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)