ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-27-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

NACA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Asilomar Accords Meeting - Input Requested

NACA Members,

In August of 2004, a group of animal welfare industry leaders from across the nation convened at Asilomar in Pacific Grove, California, for the purpose of building bridges across varying philosophies, developing relationships and creating goals focused on significantly reducing the euthanasia of healthy and treatable companion animals in the United States. The National Animal Control Association was one of those founding organizations. The meeting produced a set of Guiding Principals, Definitions, Statistics & Formulas & a Glossary of Terms which comprise the Asilomar Accords.

Four years have passed with the Asilomar Accords being implemented by organizations and agencies all over the United States.

Now, those founders will be reconvening to assess the progress of the Accords and determine the future of these landmark guidelines. Following the AHA conference in San Diego, the group will meet on September 21st, 2008 and consider a number of topics.

Your input is requested! If your agency uses the Asilomar Accords or a modified version of the statistical record keeping, NACA would like to hear from you. Your comments and experience are valuable to determining how best to continue to work towards the goal of reducing euthanasia for healthy & treatable companion animals in the United States. If there are issues you would like raised by NACA on your behalf, please make us aware so that we may continue to represent you to the best of our ability. Emails may be directed to nacaboard@nacanet.org

For more information on the Asilomar Accords, please visit their website at http://www.asilomaraccords.org/ (linked to NACA's website at www.nacanet.org)
naca@nacanet.org
Old 08-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

HA! Our shelter recently made the move to follow this and it's gone from "could use some improvement" to Horrific. It's now a torture chamber for animals. Stress levels are off the charts. No cage, and I mean no cage contains less than four animals. The Asillomar Accords needs to provide the adoptive homes. Where do you find All the people for All the animals? We are outnumbered. More folks now want to dump their animals on us rather than take one home because they feel it less likely that their animal will be euthanised. It's outa hand, we're drowning in critters. On top of that the breeders are swimming in $$ because the old mutt gets dumped on us to make room the new purebred Pit.
Old 08-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I had never heard of the Asillomar Accords until today, but id doesnít sound like Iíve missed much. We never double anything up except for siblings or parent/litter, and I have to leave cages open every weekend in case the PD brings something in.

Iíve said it before, and Iíll say it again, there is no plan, goal, procedure or anything else that is going to decrease euthanasias until there is a nation wide, low cost spay/neuter program so that we can cut off the source.

If Wal Mart would open spay/neuter clinics at all of their super centers, then we may have a chance.
Old 08-27-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

We're doing low cost spays and neuters in a few 'target' districts (those in which we have the most calls and also coincidentally typically have the lowest incomes) and the vets got pissed. They want to protest about it but don't want to help people that need it. I'll admit, a lot of these people shouldn't have pets. They can barely afford to feed them and don't generally give a damn about them, but at LEAST if we get them sterilized they're not reproducing. We can't make them all give up their animals but we can help stop them from making more- at least that's the goal.

Our ordinance also requires a $45 per litter 'litter permit' and the main local newspaper requires their permit number to post a litter for sale. After the 1st of the year we will also be implementing an 'intact pet permit' per intact animal, it will cost $50 per year per pet. We do FREE spays or neuters for owner reclaims and low cost rabies and microchip/city license every wednesday. Are we making a dent? probably not yet. I hope eventually we get to see the rewards of all this hard work.

We use the asilomar accords but we've modified it for our use. A lot of their definitions of 'unmanageable' behaviors are ludicrous. If we followed those guidelines only ''perfect'' dogs would ever be adoptable. Can someone please tell me if they've ever seen a ''perfect'' dog? Cause I haven't. Must be a rare breed.

Edit: On second thought, I know where all the perfect dogs are. They're owned by wonderful people who care for them and train them. All the others are in our shelters.

Last edited by Laelaps; 10-23-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laelaps View Post
Our ordinance also requires a $45 per litter 'litter permit' and the main local newspaper requires their permit number to post a litter for sale. After the 1st of the year we will also be implementing an 'intact pet permit' per intact animal, it will cost $50 per year per pet.
Is there anyway I can get a copy of that ordinance? I like the idea of the $45 per litter permit.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain

Last edited by NBPD336; 09-01-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

I can PM it.

Last edited by Laelaps; 10-23-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Thank you.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 09-10-2008
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting reading....epecially the glossary,

One definition I was struck by:

"The term "rehabilitatable" means and includes all dogs and cats who are not "healthy," but who are likely to become "healthy," if given medical, foster, behavioral, or other care equivalent to the care typically provided to pets by reasonable and caring pet owners/guardians in the community. "

No reference to $$$ cost at all.

Reasonable and caring at the poverty level is substantially different from reasonable and caring at 6 figure annual income level in my experience.

Standardizing reporting is smart.
Old 09-10-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Agreed, and therein lies the problem. How many real life shelters have the funding, an on-staff Veterinarian, and community resources to pull that off? Approximately half the dogs that enter our shelter need some form of veterinary care. How do you pay for that? It's the "treatable" part that needs defining. I personally, think it's crazy to keep and treat parvo pups in the shelter with so many other puppies there.
Old 09-11-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAXINE View Post
Agreed, and therein lies the problem. How many real life shelters have the funding, an on-staff Veterinarian, and community resources to pull that off? Approximately half the dogs that enter our shelter need some form of veterinary care. How do you pay for that? It's the "treatable" part that needs defining. I personally, think it's crazy to keep and treat parvo pups in the shelter with so many other puppies there.
Yup, sad but true. I used to work at a shelter that offered around-the-clock care to border collie parvo pups, but couldn't find the money to afford GPS, to save four hours a day of map-reading-related employee costs. In my mind, that was a dumb trade-off, given that about half the pups didn't make it anyway, and the time saved by the system would have eventually paid for the GPS anyway.

But I'm a vicious, murdering animal control officer, I am, and what do I know?

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)