ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-10-2006
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default Jimbo

Jimbo- As far as Mark goes.............YOu must have a conversation with him to get the true Mark. He is beyond the most intelligent and interesting of all people. When he speaks I try to stop him and ask- What did you just say- WHat does that mean? Not ashamed to ask and hes more than willing to teach.

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Darzee
Send a message via MSN to Darzee

Quote:
Actually Jimbo...Elephants are one of the most intelligant animals on earth.
Apparently so is Mark!
Old 01-11-2006
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

Reading comprehension malfunction? Did I say anything about elephants being less than intelligent?
Old 01-11-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Darzee
Send a message via MSN to Darzee

Nope, you said the opposite. I was just quoting a previous reply.
Old 01-11-2006
Forum Friend

dug e

Are we arguing here? Am I in the right website? I thought that this was acofunstop.com.

If an animal is in a terrible situation, I dont care if it knows it or not! I know it! It is my duty to take it out of the situation and find out why some stupid person allowed it to get in the situation.

If someone allows a snake, or any other animal, to live in its own feces, well then, here is some common sense (not science), take it out of the bad situation (I used way to many comas). Exigent circumstances!!!!! If you dont remove it, it wont last long hows that.

I honestly do not know how an animal feels. I know if I touch it where its bleeding it may take a chunk out of you because it dont want to be touched there. I know if a person

I am not smart enough to believe that animals have more rights than people, but not shallow enough to think its okay to abuse (active or passive) them because there just dumb animals. An animal is for our pleasure. It lives, it breaths and I dont care if it is aware or if it is thinking about slithering to lunch. I think there is something psycologically wrong to abuse any animal.

The fact is that an animal was in some kind of distress caused by some psycho human (who is by the way not as smart as the snake) and an ACO had to see it and do the thankless job of removing it and making it good again and is a SUPERHERO because of the action.

We should all be on this forum congratulating this person and asking technical questions in case we ever come into that situation.

Love dug e
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 01-12-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darzee
Quote:
Actually Jimbo...Elephants are one of the most intelligant animals on earth.
Apparently so is Mark!
I am wise enough to know that in the grand scheme of things, I truly know very little. The only thing I have in common with elephants is that both they and I have reasonably good memories and we both tend to be heavy...

I am certainly flattered by the compliments. I assert that I can operate for at least 100 hours on each one. I do not try to argue with anyone, rather I offer an alternate viewpoint. Some may agree, others may not. But as another fine scholar and First Lady once said" Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people". This great woman also said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Each of us provides a valuable and personal view to each issue. I look forward to continuing to discuss all sides of everything!
Old 01-12-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug e
We should all be on this forum congratulating this person and asking technical questions in case we ever come into that situation.

You rock, dude. Thank you for reminding us where we ought to be -- supporting each other and learning from each other.
Old 01-12-2006
Forum Friend

dug e

Its just us man! We only have each other and can only understand the day to day buisness that we go through. The truth is stmelangell, you rock as well as everyone else doing the job! This forum is the only support we (I) really have and I love it here. But we can choose to argue constructively and gain or negatively and just stay where we are.

I am not going to slam on Jimbo and I sincerly hope he and noone else took what I said as a slam!!! There is no doubt (no doubt, cool band) in my mind that he works his tail end off like the rest of us.

Jimbos opinion (probably based on a lot of science) probably sounded worst than what he actually meant and got taken way out of contexts (including me). I know I have said something, not meaning for it to sound abraisive, and ended up wishing I could reach out and grab those words and put them back in my mouth. Only after the damage is done. We could turn this forum into something very positive like, "How to recover from media misinterpretation."

Mark, I know you are a very brilliant man when you quote from a woman. One of the best movie lines of all time (you all can agree or disagree) is from "white man cant jump." It was toward the end of the movie when Wesley Snipes turned to Woody Harrleson and said, "Listen to the woman." I remeber that line a lot these days. Be it my Mom, my wife or quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt.

Darzee, you rescued the snake! I would like to here some tech talk on the details. From begining to end. I have never rescued a snake. As a matter of fact I am scared of them. Any input on how to go about it? I am a one man show here, help me out.
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 01-13-2006
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

I completely concur! We are all in the same boat. It is in our best interest to work together.

Here in Texas we have Municipal Animal Control agencies, and then privately funded Humane Societies. We in Animal Control are the victims of a barrage of poison arrows in the form of the "no kill" perception propaganda. The general public is being duped into thinking that Humane Societies are better because Animal control Agencies "kill" animals. I guess I have long harbored a little resentment for that. It seems to temper my comments at times when I wish it did not. I do recognize that when one end of the boat sinks, it just precedes the end of the boat that is about to sink.

I certainly did not intend to offend anyone, I do tend to speak sort of matter of factly when I feel I can educate someone. I actually kinda love snakes. I have had quite a few very large ones. A Burmese I "rescued" grew to around eighteen feet, and about ninety pounds. It is hard to accurately measure a snake of this size. I just try discourage people from owning these animals as pets. When someone endures the discouragement and still wants the snake, I think maybe it incites a little stronger commitment. Which is good for the snake.

The most common scenario is that one gets a pet snake, and has the energy and interest to care for it an average of six to eight months. The snake is then passed along to it's next "home". At some point around two or three years later (depending on growth rate, which is direclty rated to feeding schedules) the snake becomes too big for the average person to handle. Did I mention that someone across town is raising rats and rabitts to kill and freeze, or most often feed live for the shock value? I have had to respond to a few complaints concerning these operations.

Next thing you know there is a ten foot snake that has no responsible party to maintain his habitat or living exhibit, and has no place to be! These snakes could not survive outside in North American climates save maybe Florida or Southern California. Temperatures below seventy or so degrees for more than a few hours can often be enough to cause the snake to develop an upper respiratory infection, which is the most common cause of their death; second only to infections from burns caused by malfuctioning "heat rocks".

Not only could they not survive on this continent without our "help" but would most likely have a devastating effect on indigenous wildlife in some areas, if they could. So I do tend to discourage them as pets. I think that the "Pet Trade" comes up with some very innovative ways to get money from teenage boys, who purchase probably 80 % of these animals in the first place. Then when it becomes trendy to own one, well I am not sure the snake's best interest was ever served very well at all.

However there are certainly many cases where snakes as pets, can be fun, educational, and fine for both snake and human. I am sure that darzee is cultivating just such an instance. I only wanted to chime in with my two cents about the care and upkeep. I hope that everyone that reads here, ends up with a greater understanding of things because of our intellectually stimulating (I hope) conversation. Much like Mark said, I just enjoy presenting varying points of view. I just may be less well versed and smooth. I am however practicing as we speak. Now lets all go get some Ice Cream!!
Old 01-13-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Yes, the whole "exotic" trade is a mess right now, isn't it -- lots of people with more money than sense, buying animals that don't want to be here and shouldn't be here and can't be cared for properly in the average home. That hoarding case with the tigers in LA last year (a couple years back?) was just sickening -- it seems worse, somehow, when they're meant to be wild creatures.

I've always disagreed (more or less silently) with our agency's policy on exotics, which is to euthanize pretty much everything (all the snakes, iguanas, spiders, scorpions, etc. -- we have a "no captive exotic mammals" law in Marin that means that we don't see much else). My captain does do her best to find homes for the zoo types -- like the alligators we confiscated from a school science classroom (5 yr olds and 4-foot alligators in plastic wading ponds, whose bright idea was that??). I was so thriled with myself a few years back when I caught my first stray rosy boa, right up until they told me they were going to euthanize it if its owner didn't show up (s/he didn't). The people who reported it would have taken it in -- but what kind of life would it have had, with people who just thought it was "cool" and knew nothing else about it?

It's a heartbreak, it really is -- you can't put them back where they came from, you can't leave them where they are, you can't find them a home they can live in in any kind of "natural" sense ...