ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-08-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Darzee
Send a message via MSN to Darzee
Default Boa-love

I'm in love with a beautiful 6 ft red-tailed Boa Constrictor. She was brought in to the shelter when her owner was arrested and he hasn't claimed her. She arrived in the worst terrarium I've ever seen. She was literally living in several inches of her own filth. She was cleaned up and I set her up in a nice secure terrarium with a hidey place, a basking area and a pond. Poor girl drank and drank like she hadn't had clean water in weeks. She ate and she's now very friendly and happy. I'd love to keep her but my birds would protest greatly. Eventually she'd also be a threat to my Chihuahua. I've never known snales were such gorgeous creatures with personality!

I wish the person who kept her could be put in a cell and left to live in his own poop with no food or water. At least he won't get her back.

People....UGH!
Old 01-08-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Hi Darzee,

I'm glad to hear that the snake is away from him and he will never be able to hurt her again. and I agree..let him sit in his own crap for awhile.

I too find snakes beautiful.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 01-08-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

Some creatures inability to protest their poor treatment makes them easy targets for this kind of pond scum to own. They don't even provide the basics for survival that we even give to the worst criminals. Makes me sick

I'm glad you've got her into a good situation. Hopefully she will know no more suffering in her life.

The best guinea pig I ever had was a rescue from an apartment where the people had moved and just left 5 little piggies behind. Amaryllis was a wonderful pet and had a long happy life with me.

There is no punishment too severe for people who abuse others, either human or animal (pretty much the same to me).
Old 01-08-2006
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

Your friendly snake knows no suffering. She has a brain the size of a pea. She does not love you she is incapable. The totality of her brain capacity and function is consumed with breathing, locomotion, eating, procreating and dooking.

She cannot reciprocate your affection. She will never fetch or play. I just want everyone to realize this, and do not allow your safety to be compromised. I have owned large snakes too. They can be great, but do not misunderstand that she is a snake, and needs to eat mammals; of whichever size she can overpower. It is her only goal in life!

I am not against snakes they are magnificent creatures. I become skeptical when I see them in unknowing hands. A local humane organization here is reputed to keep brocoli in a habitat for a large Burmese. Please be careful handling other animals and then the snake, and feed the animal somewhere other than her habitat, so as not to create a stimulus and response effect.

p.s. sorry if if this seems abrasive or negative, it is not my intent. I only want the truth. Agent Molder says it is out there!!
Old 01-08-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Hi Jimbo,

I think that every living animal on earth..no matter how small their brain is can feel pain. Does a spider not feel it, when some loser thinks it's funny to pull their legs off? I would think so.

Also...it maybe that some animals can not feel pain and or suffering...but that should not let people's cruel actions go unnoticed and not be properly punished for it.

Ants for instance..have the intelligence to pull leaves together in order so they can cross water. I think that, that is pretty impressive, that Ants can actually think to do this. If they have the intelligence to think and do that, i'm sure they can feel getting stepped on. Sorry a bit off topic.

But all in all I personally think that ALL animals feel pain..no matter how small their brain is.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 01-08-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

Jimbo

Are you saying that a snake that is sick from living in filth, starving and thirsty is somehow not suffering ?
Old 01-08-2006
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default Snake

(Your friendly snake knows no suffering)Jimbo....................I have to disagree with you. Is this your opinion or do you have resources? Just woundering because I have never heard of such thing.

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

If you put an open fire or an ice cube next to a snake, it tries to avoid it. When the snake above was provided it with clean water, it drank -- it didn't just sit there and stay thirsty. Animals suffer, no matter what their level of sentience is -- that's one of the (many) ways we know the difference between an animal and a rock. One avoids pain, the other one just sits there.

The more we study different kinds of animals, the more we find that even an animal low on the food chain (such as a fish or a snake) can recognize members of its social group and show a preference for one over another otherwise equivalent situations -- it "likes" one kind of food over a food with similar nutritional value, for example. We should also remember that humans have been wrong over and over again about what "the other guy" is capable of: Two hundred years ago, many respectable whites were saying that blacks were a subspecies; a hundred years ago, some fairly intelligent men were still saying that women weren't capable of logical thought; fifty years ago, most vets would have said that cats couldn't feel pain. All these things have been proved wrong.

We have to stop trusting in so-called "intelligent" common viewpoints, and go back to individual observation before we assume anything about an animal's ability to suffer. Once upon a time, I would have said opossums, chickens, hawks, rats, goats, and so forth were pretty generic. Then I had the chance to observe individual animals, and I realized that they avoid bad stuff and look for good stuff just like we do; more than that, they make preferential choices constantly, just like we do. Of course they may not have the same kind of affection for us that we do for them -- they're not humans, they don't have the same hardwiring we do. But that's our problem, as the dominant species on the planet, not theirs. If they don't have an affectionate bone in their body towards us, it still doesn't make it okay to restrict them to a filthy environment or assume that they don't feel pain, or a loneliness for their own species and their natural way of life.

"Life is as dear to the mute animal as it is to any human being; even the simplest insect strives for protection from dangers that threaten its life. Just as each one of us wants to live and does not wish to die, so it is with all other creatures in the universe, though their power to effect this is a different matter." The Dalai Lama.
Old 01-08-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Darzee

I don't mean to imply my feelings for the Boa are reciprocated. I know she could care less for me, but I believe there is more to snakes than what Jim implies. I'm not an expert on reptiles, but I am quite learned when it comes to avi-culture. People used to think parrots simply mimicked humans, but Dr. Irene Pepperberg of Arizona has empirically and scientifically proven African Greys know what they are saying. They can also count, read, and have a memory better than a 5 year old child. Their brains are more reptilian than mammilian, but does that mean they are less intelligent or just different?

There is more we don't know about animals than what we do. Anyway, the snake is lovely to watch and her colours are amazing. Of course, this comes from a girl with no TV for entertainment so hey, I'm easily amused.

By the way, snakes certainly do recognize their caretakers over strangers and they are more relaxed with some people rather than others.
Old 01-08-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

Darzee

Oh yeah, and even a lowly snake will move away from living in its own feces given an option.