ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-17-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

The more fugly the better... I have always been parcial to the ugly booters..

Leah
Old 08-17-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TheFleaBag is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCZ1 View Post
The more fugly the better... I have always been parcial to the ugly booters..

Leah
I love Fugly Animals,..They are fun and they have Fugly Animal Shows!
Old 08-17-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Ugly vs. old vs. feral. What a mess! The shelter that I work at now takes in everything. We pretty much are a no-kill (except for the sick, untreatable) but we have run out of space. The volunteers wanted to euthanize an old cat that was "dumped" at the shelter door two weekends ago. I was called in on that Sunday to see the "sick" cat that needed to be euthanized. Granted, the cat was thin and could have had kidney disease but I would not euthanize it without some basic tests. The ACOs agreed but the volunteers insisted that she was sick and needed to be euthanized. (She was matted and not the cutest thing in the world.)

I took the cat to my hospital, cleaned her up and performed basic blood work. Wouldn't you know it, she was normal!! She is just an old, thin, cat that is not very pretty. Now, with the shave down, she really looks funny! I spoke with the manager (also an ACO), and we agreed that I would hold the cat until a few cages open up and can get her into the shelter. We are hoping that someone would see the cat's true beauty and take her in.

I have a soft heart for animals and cannot euthanize just because. Have I done it? Sure. I don't think there has ever been a vet. who was not put in that situation at some time in their lives. The last time I did that was when I taught an ACO to euthanize feral cats. These cats were trying to hurt some of the staff members. Performing that many euthanasias would get to me eventually so I had to train someone else to perform it.
Old 08-18-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

I am also fortunate enough not to have to euthanize, but I am in the position to have to decide who is adoptable and who is not. We use the 'salt and pepper' approach to adoption, meaning any and all dogs and cats we bring in can be viewed by the public for potential adoption, so adoptable pets are mixed with unadoptable and stray pets. If someone expresses interest in an animal and we're not sure it's suitable I do a temperament test on it. There have been times where an owner surrender has been brought to me when our kennels were full and I've been asked ''is this one adoptable?'' ... Meaning 'will it move quick enough that it doesn't take up space in our kennels'. Sometimes, the answer is no. Everyone has a different opinion about what is cute and what is not, so I don't like to think that I'm signing off on a dog that is 'ugly', but that is statistically less desirable. I personally like ''ugly'' dogs... and in some cases if it has particular charm I can try to squeeze it in somewhere and maybe work with our rescue coordinator to get it out to a group.
Old 08-18-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default OMG!

Worlds Fugliest dogs.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-18-2008

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Yea, I used to think Chinese Crested was one of the cutest breeds ever, but then they started this winning streak at the "World's Ugliest Dog" contest...the winners are still cute, but in that cabbage patch doll/troll/you-wouldn't-really-want-your-own-kid-to-look-like-that kind of way!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 08-18-2008

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Worlds Fugliest dogs.

Cheers, Scooterchic

I WANNA LOVE EM AND SQUEEZE UM AND KEEP EM FOREVER. As Almyra would say.. lol

Leah
Old 08-18-2008
Field Operative

NCACO2CI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NCACO2CI
Default dont be a black lab mix in our area

The shelter does a great job trying health- temper - but boy if its a run on blk lab - lab/pit x forget it they are picked,

Fugly now we have fugly and boy do those rescues love fugly......lol

the last one was a 14+ yr yorkie was toothless wonder who's tongue
kept falling out, I saw him at the rescue 2 weeks ago still hanging on

gotta love it.....
Old 08-18-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TheFleaBag is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Worlds Fugliest dogs.

Cheers, Scooterchic
Have you ever seen SAM,..the ALL TIME MOST FUGLY DOG! But, the Chaucaurbra dog would beat these fugly dogs any day LOL! Even if it was just a mangy fugly coyoyte LOL!
Old 08-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
The volunteers wanted to euthanize an old cat that was "dumped" at the shelter door two weekends ago. the volunteers insisted that she was sick and needed to be euthanized.
Since when do volunteers have a say if an animal needs to be put down? I find this strange. I mean I can see them letting a staff member know if they think an animal is sick..but having a say if an animal needs to be put down. In my opinion, an issue like this, volunteers should not have a say.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.