ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-16-2008
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit
Default Killed Based on Looks?

Have you or your organization euthanized an animal because you or your organization thought the animal was ugly or not cute enough to be adopted? Only based on looks alone; not for behavior, illness, or space...

Just wondering...
Old 08-16-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopahbit View Post
Have you or your organization euthanized an animal because you or your organization thought the animal was ugly or not cute enough to be adopted? Only based on looks alone; not for behavior, illness, or space...

Just wondering...
Not where I'm at, which is a private SPCA also doing countywide animal control via contract. That's such a foreign thought to me it's not even funny. I can imagine that there are places with tons of "cute" animals and not enough space for "ugly" ones where the "ugly" once might get put down based upon looks alone if they had to choose between the two, all other things being equal.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Our shelter only euthanizes when serious health or behavior issues make it a necessity either for the sake of the animal or the safety of the community. Looks would never be a consideration.

Case in point: meet Henry! Henry came in as a pup with eyes bulging even more than you see in the photos due to a severe infection. He is about a year and a half old now, and has a very happy life with someone who loves the dickens out of his uuuggglllyy mug! I will say, though, he is just about the sweetest dog ever, and very outgoing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 079.JPG (19.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 082.JPG (18.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 084.JPG (20.0 KB, 6 views)

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 08-16-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I WANT HIM.

ugly animals are the best. Don't tell Kody, but that's why I adopted him.

Old 08-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

When our facility first opened, somebody had started the rumor that we were going to be no-kill. As a result, everybody in town wanted to take their unwanted litters to the “no-kill” shelter, and I would literally have lines of people waiting to drop off animals when ever I opened. Being a municipal facility, the only way we can refuse an animal is if it is from outside our jurisdiction, so I had no choice but to accept everything that was brought in. I would have every cage full, and animals stored in the truck, then finally I would have to simply lock the door and euthanize every available animal to make room for the next rush.

That eventually eased up, and for years we actually adopted more than we euthanized, but I’m just a small city in the middle of the big metroplex, and other cities started upgrading their facilities and operations. Every time an adjoining city would upgrade, my adoptions would go down, and euthanasias would go up. Last year we euthanized 51% of incoming animals.

Our criteria are health and temperament first. After that, it is done by the available date, who ever has been available the longest is the first to go. If several have the same available date, and all else is equal, then we will keep what appears to be the most adoptable based on age, breed and yes, appearance.
Old 08-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

My ex-agency up north does euthanize for space once in a while (tho they always claim it's a health-related euth to bump their statistics). Broke my heart when they euth'd a rabbit I brought in because it was black. (They thought a black rabbit would be less adoptable.) But if you have to choose a reason, you have to choose with the data you've got. I don't blame them for making an "appearance-related" choice ... just for making a choice and then lying about it afterwards.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Nope. All our animals are fugly.
Old 08-16-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAXINE View Post
Nope. All our animals are fugly.
I trade u all the fugly dogs. For all our "OMG!! PITBULL!!" people.
Old 08-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I have been very fortunate that I have not had to euthanize an animal. The field does not to do that, it falls on the kennel staff. I have had to transport some very sick and injured animals that I assisted the kennel staff or AHS in euthanazing. I had a really hard time with it. I have the up most respect for all of you ACO's that this hard responsibility falls on to. Thanks for being stronger then me and doing the hardest job in animal control.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-17-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TheFleaBag is on a distinguished road
Talking

Not at the 2 shelters I volunteered at. It seems that the Bay Area like fugly pets. My one rescue Siberian,..he's pretty fugly! He came from TX, because the owner was in the ARMY. He left the dog with his uncle and the uncle dumped at the Tracy Shelter! We just planned to foster him. We where asked by a friend in Siberian Rescue to get and get him. Rescue will pay me back on the $100.00 adopt fee. But, he turned out having food bowl issues and we took him and just kept him. We had him for 6 years now and he's good dog with no food around. Until his old age made him crippled,..he was a therapy dog with my other dogs. He the others went to children hospitals to visit the kids.

ps. Tracy Shelter let us have him for $5.00,.. because, everyone liked him and didn't want to put him down and hoped rescue could take him and rehab him. We took him and after few ER trips for the bites he give us,.. we just accepted him for what he was. A mean-ass'ed dog with food, and sweet as sugar with no food!

Last edited by TheFleaBag; 08-17-2008 at 02:39 AM.