ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-14-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default Hey Doc? Got a Mastiff question.

When I met my husband a few years ago he had 2 dogs, one is Circus Monkey our Rottie-and-every-thing-else-mix and his first ever dog Boudica the English Mastiff. She is pure bred (her daddy won butt loads of awards) but since she is spayed (good job sweety!) she is not censored a "true" pure bred. Whatever.... Anyway, she is about 6years old now and the large dog problems are starting to appear. She is having trouble getting up, does not run like she used to and something I have never seen..... She has become incontinent....

I thought it was cute when she was laying on her back, legs spread out and she was so relaxed she peed a little. I know they are laid back dogs and just thought it was the mastiff personally. Well, is it getting worse. She will be sleep in front of the TV and with in an hour she has peed herself. Then yesterday the dogs all woke up to me making noise in the kitchen and she followed me in there still unable to control her bladder. While she walked she left a trail of urine. I am really concerned about her. She needs to go and see or vet for her distemper/parvo vaccs this next week what should I ask the doc? Do I need to buy Doggy depends? Hire a kid to follow her around with a towel? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Our "baby" girl

Old 08-14-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen an older great dane with this problem. It would be a good thing to talk to your vet about, maybe there are meds that can help?
Old 08-14-2008
Field Operative

NCACO2CI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NCACO2CI
Default hey scooterchic

I lost my mastiff 2yrs ago....9.5 yrs she started to do the same thing
and my vet had us take some weight off, and we pulled all the carpeting(lol)
the side effects on meds were to ukn then on such a big dog. And yes doggy diapers saved my mind.
yours looks so much like tia did and I still miss her. she was a christmas eve rescue and the breeder only wanted the male back(they were 1 at the time)

good luck and msm helped ours with getting up and about

I hope someday to get another.......but the 2 scotties are enough for now
Old 08-14-2008
Forum Friend

Firestar is on a distinguished road

There are good meds out now that help with doggy incontinents, and with joint issues. Check with your vet, but when I was a vet tech we put pets on it pretty often with good results...sadly the name of it is not coming to me at this time...I think it started with a P...Proin or something like that.
Sorry guess that really wasn't much help.
Old 08-15-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

jfox2008 is on a distinguished road

Scooter,

Yeah, there are some meds that should treat this (note I didn't say CURE) She will be on them forever.

As a side note (May not pertain to your puppy) Was anyone aware that this same problem can occur because you spayed your female pet? Our Vet (Very experienced in this area) says 30% of the spayed female dogs will at some point develop this issue and it is uncurable. I'm not sure if it's their body or if it's "faulty" surgery. My lab started peeing herself and I was asking him about it, first thing he asked "Is she spayed?". As it turns out, she just stopped on her own after a month or so without meds. It only happened a handful of times (maybe 4-5) in that timeframe, so he ultimately said he didn't believe it to be related to her being spayed... Just thought it was interesting!
Old 08-15-2008
Probationary Trainee

vegan2011 is on a distinguished road

My 12 year old golden would pee in her sleep for a while also, but she just randomly stopped doing it.

She also has (or lets say had) massive trouble walking around. One day she wouldn't even come in from outside because she couldn't make it up the steps and it seemed as if she had lost all motivation.

So our vet started an arthritis laser treatment, and put her on arthritis meds. Its working wonderfully! She only has to go back now when she starts to slow down. Shes not like a puppy, but she is much better than before. She gets up fine on her own, and much much quicker, the stairs aren't much of a problem for her, and she can now get on the couch again, and in and out of my car with little help. She is also on previcox. Forgot what the laser treatment is called, but here is an article: http://www.wkyc.com/news/health/heal...?storyid=84190

I would highly, highly suggest the laser treatments. Its new to my vet, and hes trying it out so hes been doing it for free to see what kinds of results it will have and my golden has been one of the test subjects. :P We really had no other choice, a different vet suggested putting her to sleep, but we wanted to try every other option first, and I can't say better things about it.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
when I was a vet tech we put pets on it pretty often with good results...sadly the name of it is not coming to me at this time...I think it started with a P...Proin or something like that.
Maybe Phenylpropanalomine? When I worked as a tech I saw that prescribed quite a bit and it seems to work well for a lot of people's dogs. It may go by a different brand name- I think proin is correct. I def. think a trip to the vet is in order... but for the joints have you tried glucosamine and chondroitin? Those two supplements have worked wonders for my boxer. He's 9 and has had some stiffness issues, too.

I have also heard that sometimes the spay can cause issues with the bladder because of the manipulation during surgery. From what I understand, though, is that if it's just irritation it should go away within a week or so of the spay, and if there's damage to the bladder as a result of the spay it should show up right away, not months or years later. Of course I'm not a vet so I could be completely wrong about that, but I would bet money on incontinence just as a result of getting a little older. Good luck with her, and I hope you get good news from the vet. She's a beauty!
Old 08-15-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Hi Scooterchic,

Sorry, I've been away from the computer a few days. Many ACO emergency cases brought to my hospital the last few days. (You all know what that's like!)

Anyway, the drug we use most commonly for urinary incontinence is DES (diethylstibestrol). This is an estrogen supplement. Estrogen is needed for bladder tone. As the dog gets older, the estrogen levels drop further and they start to leak, so supplements are used. The problem is that DES causes problems in women so people should wear gloves when using this in dogs. This drug is used since once the dog is stable (and if it works), you only need to give it once or twice a week depending on how big the dog is.

If the DES does not work for your dog, the next drug prescribed is phenylpropanolamine. The main problem with that one is that it needs to be given daily.

Is your dog leaking urine or does she know that she is urinating? The other thing you might want to do is bring a urine sample in for testing. It should be fresh or refrigerated if it is going to take you longer than 30 minutes to take it to the vet.

My dog leaked urine as well. She began when she was about 6-7 years old. She had a minor bladder infection which is what I thought initially was the cause of her problems until she leaked in front of me. She was just lying down next to me; next thing I know, I was covered in her urine as well.

Hope the advice/information helps.
Old 08-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Thank you Doc. Thank you everyone! She will be taken to the vet ASAP. I hope it is just a bladder infection so she won't be stuck on drugs for the rest of her life . I told my husband about handling the drugs, how I shouldn't, and he seems to be OK with it, he is of course worried about me touching that stuff now.....Anyway, again thank you ALL very much. You Rock!

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-17-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

No problem. If you want a second opinion on the urinalysis, you can get a copy of it from your vet. and have it faxed to me. (90 686-7082. Just let me know it is from your dog so that I don't think it was sent to me by mistake.

That goes for any ACOs out there. If you want help interpretting medical records for a case that you are working on, or for your own personal pets, let me know. I helped one of the ACO/ACIs work up a cruelty case and we won. That was quite interesting since it was the first time that I testified in court to help an ACO. It felt like I was up there for about an hour but it was worth it. I think it helped greatly that I was both a vet. and an ACO/ACI since the defense attorney was unable to break my testimony at all. The prosecutor never redirected since I was able to handle the defense attorney myself.

Again, I'm willing to help my fellow brothers/sisters wherever you are located.