ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-01-2008
Field Operative

jruner is on a distinguished road
Default What do you do to stay fit?

I am trying to go from couch potato to low fat baked chip? This is mainly due to my becoming a reserve deputy. I do laps at my town's high school track and the standard crunches and push ups. I am overweight so my body is rebelling. What do my fellow ACO's due to get fit or for you athletes out there stay fit?

Thanks,

John Runer
Old 08-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I havenít been fit since I left the street department 21 years ago.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 05, so I did a lot of diet modifications, cut back on the carbs, watch the fat, and now it is completely under control and I lost nearly 20 pounds to boot. My tricycles are up though, and they are on me to cut back on the carbs more, and get some exercise.

I normally like to walk my dog, but we are under heat advisories for the next week or so, with temperatures in the 100+ range, so Iím stuck with contemplating exercise, heat stroke, exercise, heat stroke, exercise, heat stroke. Iím afraid vegging out in front of the TV will win out for a couple of more months.
Old 08-01-2008
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

My lovely wife presented me with the navy seal push up handles for Christmas. And it was because I wanted them! Several years ago I broke my wrist and doing regular push ups killed me, so with these there is no pressure on the wrist and you get a really good workout, chest, tri-ceps, bi-ceps, shoulders, and abs. I don't know if the planned workout is great or not, but it's easy to do and not too repetative. On the off days from push ups I use an exercise ball to do crunches and I have a set of hand wieghts. I've not been working out like I should since June, just too much going on in the evenings, but I have been active outside. Like GTO says, it's hot here and you tend to loose weight just dragging water hose around to water the yard.
We have horses, so working with them on the ground works up a sweat too. I lost 10 pounds digging post holes and stretching fence last month and so far have managed to keep that off. I have a tread mill and in the winter I try to walk on it at least 3 times a week. I'm 5' 11'' and weigh 190 and trying to stay right around there.

Oh and I also cut out all sodas and coffee, except for the occassional Starbucks treat, I don't eat fast food, and I try to stay away from candy, but have a weakness for Hershey Kisses and peanut butter cups. We don't eat any fried food at home, we eat a lot of chicken usually baked and salads.
Old 08-01-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I spend 30-60 minutes six days a week on either an elliptical trainer or a treadmill, plus I have a pretty busy lifestyle...I am nearly always moving. I also am vegetarian (nearly vegan now, and dang, do I miss cheese...) and tend towards a very low-fat, low-carb diet...I am a diet Dr. Pepper addict, though, I probably drink 10 a day (wow, it hurts to admit that!)

ďNot to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.Ē
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 08-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

For a good low carb diet, you need to see a nutritionist, because it is based on your size. Iím 6í2Ē and when I went on the diet I was @ 230. My diet was (is) 60 grams of carbs at each mail meal, and 15 grams 3 times a day for snacks. I did a lot of Internet research and found what I can eat at which restaurant and still stay within the guidelines. I dropped 17 pounds almost immediately, then when I started count fat grams I lost 3 more.

I cut out potatoes, pizza, sweet tea (the house wine of the south) and soft drinks, hamburgers, french fries, basically everything a normal person eats.

I was doing quite well until I wrecked my motorcycle and was laid up for a month, at which point the strict adherence to the diet sort of faded.

More years ago than I cat to remember, I had aspirations of being a cop. I got the details of what was on the physical agility test, and actually found the course they use, and targeted those areas. The two biggest things I had to work on were hauling my fat self over a 6í wall, and the 440 run within the allotted time. I didnít have a 160 pound dummy to drag around, so I was just going to have to wing it there.
Old 08-01-2008
Field Operative

jruner is on a distinguished road

On the food front sweets are my weakness, especially ice cream. I have been reducing portion sizes and cutting out anything fried and all soda. I like meat too much to be a vegetarian. I drink a lot of water and am trying to learn to eat veggies for snacks over sweets. I have heard of a cookie diet though!!!

John Runer
Old 08-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

What was the most annoying thing to me is finding the snack with 15 grams of carbs. A bag of peanut M&Ms has less carbs than a Nurti Grain bar.

Be sure to read the labels. My mother was not only diabetic, but she had Alzheimerís, so I ended up buying all of her groceries. She loved her ice cream, and I had started getting her sugar free. Then one day I read the label, and found that the sugar free was actually worse for her than regular, go figure.
Old 08-01-2008
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

I've droped about 20 pounds in the last year or so.....I workout at the town Rec center after work most days (run on the track, treadmill, weights, sit-ups & push-ups, exercise ball crunches) with my days off being my recoup days. If I miss a workout day like I did yesterday, I simply substitute one of my days off.
Old 08-01-2008
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

since I made the move to only eat meat that was humanely raised, it's cut a lot of junk out of my diet. I used to eat at fast food restaurants on a regular basis in between calls. the "it's not healthy for you" line did not work against my growling stomach at the time, but the "animals were severely mistreated to make that hamburger" line does. now I bring lunches to work on a regular basis. I'm also taking up yoga again. I went with a friend to a bikram yoga class two days ago for the first time, and oh my god it still hurts to walk. I still want to do yoga but I think I'm going to try a different place. bikram is the type where they heat the room up to over 100 degrees. imagine doing strenuous excercise in a sauna. for 90 minutes straight. It was not pretty. I'm going to stick to regular yoga from now on.

I've been steadily dropping pounds, so I'm happy.
Old 08-01-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

1. Stop eating out so much. (Im way guilty of this)
2. Cokes, sweets, candy, Etc....
3. Start working out.

I am have recently started wanting to get back into shape. I have purchased a bike. A friend of mine and myself have started using the bike trails around here. Everytime i go out now i see myself go a little further and stay out a little longer. I prefer the bike, well cause i have horrible knees and running puts alot more strain on em.

But the biggest thing is to start thinking about what you eat. If you do go out to eat. Get something more on the healthy side. I know its a bit hard. Trust me im still finding myself ordering the wrong things. But im getting there.

I have been buying more Chicken breast. Turkey breast. things like that and putting em in the oven to bake. Dont completely cut out the carbs cause it is bad for you. Just gotta limit yourself as to many u intake a day. If u take in 500 carbs a day. Then you gott burn 1000 to lose weight.

Getting out there and sweating is the best way to lose wieght. Ya, you come home stinky. But after a good shower and a good nights rest. Feels great.

Hope you find your edge as to what works for you. I put on a good 10-15lbs since i started here. My goal is to lose 40 lbs by the winter time. Just gotta start putting my butt into high gear and get things rolling.