ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-29-2008
Forum Friend

Big Brown Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Registration Ordinance Requiring Microchipping?

Anybody got one they could cut & paste or link me to?

We're doing a major Animal Ordinance rewrite and I want to marry annual pet registration to microchipping. The thought is to chip the animals as a condition of registration (in addition to the rabies vaccination requirements).

Any examples or direction will be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

We elected to not make microchips mandatory, at least not yet, but this is ours.

Sec. 6-146. Required.
No owner shall have within the city any dog or cat four months of age or older unless such dog or cat is currently registered with the city. No dog or cat shall be registered without proof of current rabies vaccination. Registration may be issued either annually or for the life of the dog or cat registered, as provided herein.
(1) If the owner chooses to register the owner's dog or cat annually, upon compliance with the requirements of this chapter and payment of the required fee, a current registration certificate and a metal registration tag with the month and year of expiration will be issued by the city. The registration tag issued by the city, must be affixed to a collar or harness that must be worn by the animal at all times.
(2) If the owner chooses to register the owner's dog or cat for the life of the animal, upon compliance with the requirements of this chapter and payment of the required fee, the city animal control staff will insert an identifying microchip acceptable to the city animal control officer into the animal, and the animal will be considered to be validly registered for the life of the animal. Such lifetime registration shall be subject to revocation, however, as provided by this chapter or other applicable law. In lieu of insertion of such microchip by city animal control staff, the owner may provide evidence of previous insertion of such an identifying microchip in the dog or cat satisfactory to the animal control officer. While microchip insertion will be available for "guard dogs" and "dangerous dogs," such will not alleviate the owner from the responsibility to comply with all provisions of this chapter applicable to such types of animals, including but not limited to the requirements for registration, registration fees, and the wearing of collars and tags.
(Ord. No. 810-97, ß 4(B)(1), 1-28-1997; Ord. No. 961-03, ß 1, 6-3-2003)
Old 07-31-2008
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

Microchipping is not mandatory for licensing, but it WILL be part of the redemption of your dog if impounded, if my new ordinance revisions take place. This is part of my philosophy of Animal Control: If you come to my negative attention with your behavior with your animals, we will have words, if it happens a second time you will pay.....
Our license fees are exactly the same for intact and altered animals. I don't feel that charging responsible owners a premium fee for intact animals is fair. Using this policy we have increased the number of licensed dogs in the county. The key here is responsible, however, if your intact dog is picked up at large you will pay twice the redemption fees at the shelter. Also makes tickets so much easier! With 20 years of this procedure all the judges know that if someone goes to court on one of my tickets they have all been warned. And, let's be real, are the responsible, licensed dog owners the problem? Not in my county!

Last edited by maddog; 07-31-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling errors make me crazy!
Old 08-01-2008
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

You require cat registration?! Everytime I bring it up; everyone just laughs and says it would be an impossible task...how do you enforce that? how long have you done it and how is it working for you?...hope you don't mind my prying...you're the first area I've met that does that!
Old 08-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

The first city I worked for didnít have registrations, and I just inherited the program when I came here. Even though I am not a fan of registrations in the first place, I gave it a serious try for years, but the highest estimated compliance rate I can document is just over 10%, and right now I think we are at around 5% to 6%. If I had my way, there would be no registrations at all, but my boss wants me to get the numbers up, so whatís to do?

In a couple of the larger cities in the area, the vet clinics in those cities automatically register pets with the city when vaccinations are done. The problems are 1, we have 45 cities in our phone book, and we all interconnect like a big jigsaw puzzle, so many of the registered animals do not live in the city where the vaccinations are done. And 2, we ainít got no vet in our city.
Old 08-02-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

We also require a cat license. We have a better compliance than than GTO. We have had several bats test positive for rabies and it has been cats that were exposed. The little critters were curious with the bats on the ground flopping around. This is a large reason we had the ordinance put in place. We have a canvasser position in place which is currently frozen. When filled this person goes door to door checking for pets with no license. This has also helped us with the ferral cats, Not that we do not still have them Lord knows we have an abundance but we have seen a decrease since trapping the unowned ferrals.

Leah
Old 08-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
In a couple of the larger cities in the area, the vet clinics in those cities automatically register pets with the city when vaccinations are done. The problems are 1, we have 45 cities in our phone book, and we all interconnect like a big jigsaw puzzle, so many of the registered animals do not live in the city where the vaccinations are done. And 2, we ainít got no vet in our city.
Wow I feel pet owners pain.. We have two vets and they are so busy it can take weeks up to a month to get in . Even emergencys are not seen as they should be..

Leah
Old 08-02-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Thats gotta be a pain. Here we dont require Microchipping. But since we dont have our own shelter we contract with Albuquerque's. They Mandate all Dogs and cats that leave there shelter to be Sterilized, Chip'd, rabbies vacinated. Wether they live in the City jurisdiction or not. Which in same cases is good but other cases its bad.
Old 08-02-2008
Giga-posting ACO

This is the formula I was given to find out your pet population is, 39% of households will have 1.6 dogs, and 32% of households will have 2 cats. All you have to do is find the number of households in your jurisdiction, crunch some numbers, and bingo. Then compare that number to youíre last yearís registrations, and you will know exactly where you stand.

I have several issues that make our registrations difficult. Going back to the vets issuing city licenses, when my residents go to a Ft. Worth vet for shots, They get a rabies tag that says Ft. Worth City License # on it, so they assume they are currently licensed. Even though we are a suburb of Ft. Worth, a Ft Worth license is not valid in our city.

Another issue is that many people donít want big brother telling them what to do with their animals in their own back yards or living rooms. I have issued several $130 citations for not getting a $5 tag, and they still donít comply.

Then of course there are the folks who are afraid of authority figures. My #1 most impounded dog this year is the Pit Bull. My #1 most euthanized dog is consistently also the Pit Bull. Pits are almost never claimed by their owners, and Iím sure it is because they are probably wanted or have some other kind of history with the city/law enforcement, and they are afraid to come to the shelter.

Yet another issue is the transient nature of my community. It is an older city, with a lot of rental property, so people are in and out in 6 months.

Add all of that with a full time staff of 1, and bingo, very few registrations.
Old 08-02-2008

We are also a county that many come and go.. We also deal with more pittys here. Lab seems to be the next choice breed. Like most animals in the shelter the owner claim is very low..
The huge problem with people comming and going is the abandoned animals..

Leah