Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO in Greenville,TX View Post
"We just have to do the best we can with what we have got."
In my opinion some people use/see this quote as an excuse and will use it to their advantage. It is up the the individual(s) to think beyond it and become resouceful and effectient.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 07-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Our local SPCA and Humane Society are independent, privately owned and funded operations. I used to take dogs to the Humane society, but they would charge us $8 per animal, and I would unload them directly into the euthanasia room. I can put them down myself for $2, so I quit using them.

I used the SPCA for quite a long time, until they went no-kill. Now it is way too difficult to get animals to them, so aside from occasional contact with their cruelty investigators, I have virtually no communication with either of them anymore.

They have no field personnel, aside from the investigation staff, and to my knowledge, they donít contract with any municipality to house animals.
Old 08-02-2008
Probationary Trainee

AZRiverRotts is on a distinguished road

Our local shelters are terribly understaffed. They rely on volunteers to staff the office, clean kennels and answer phones.

I noticed something interesting when we adopted our Rottie boy from the county shelter.The building is behind the sheriff substation, and there were guys in orange jumpsuits cleaning kennels and feeding the dogs!
Old 08-08-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

I personally think that ACO's should do ACO things and allow the shelter staff to operate the shelter and if that were the case, I would expect the shelter to do as much as possible to find suitable homes for the animals (where possible) when they are available for adoption or awarded to the city's custody by a court of law.

That is how Newport News, Hampton, York County and James City County do it. The ACO's do their job and have contracts with the Peninsula SPCA (Upper York and James City contract with Heritage Humane Society in Williamsburg)to house the animals that are picked up by the ACO's. The Shelter workers take care of the shelter. If an animal is set for a court date holding, the cage cards are noted as so, but the Shelter workers still clean and feed. Seperate identities, one common cause (the welfare of animals)
I hope that helps.
________
penny stocks to watch

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2008
Probationary Trainee

Patrick is on a distinguished road

our agency and the shelter are separate. The shelter is non-profit and we are government. It works out beautifully. They take care of the animals and adopt them out, I do my job. I have calls and follow-ups and reports to do from 7am to 6 pm. If I had to do any more the quality of my work would suffer.
Old 08-10-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

jfox2008 is on a distinguished road

The quality of most ACO's work already does suffer. It is sad to read through these forums and to see that most agencies are fighting the same fights. It isn't a fight against animal cruelty or for animal welfare, it is a fight against our own governments and employers. It is sad that have to fight for well deserved recognition so that we can get equipment and training that is most necessary for the job. How can some departments justify not even equipping their ACO's with a simple catch-pole?

As far as this threads topic goes, as the above poster stated, here in Newport News we contract with a regional shelter (The Peninsula SPCA). While we may not always see eye to eye on some issues, we are always very happy to work with one another and they have the day to day responsibilities of caring for the animals. Newport News does not even have so much as a holding area for animals, we take them straight to the SPCA. I like this much better since it allows me to answer other calls for service. If we only answered calls for 1-2 hours per day, we would be lynched by our citizens inside a weeks time. We answer calls 24 hours per day, even though we are hardly staffed properly to do so.

I don't really know the details of why the VB SPCA is attacking VBAC, but there may be some valid points. I know here in Newport News, every officer handles situations slightly different and I would assume thats the case in VB. I wrote 17 summons' during the first 5 months of 2008 but one of our other officers has written 1. Did I do 17 times the amount of work he did? Well I like to think so, but I know thats not the case. He chose alternative routes that I don't necessarily believe in. Am I wrong or is he wrong? According to city policy, neither of us is wrong. I am from a law enforcement background and choose to give those "chickens--t" tickets as you so kindly referred to them as. Thats what Judges get paid for. If that other officer chooses to look the other way until next time, so be it. The offender got lucky and another animal suffers. Of course I give adequate time for pet owners to get rabies/licenses up to date prior to issueing a ticket, but I eventually will do it if they ignore my warnings.

It amazes me, the problems we face in our profession. Instead of trying to make this a better job, people just want to complain, complain, complain.
Old 08-10-2008

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

keep the shelter if you turn it over to another department that affect your budget. I don't always issue a citation sometimes a threat of a ticket or a verble warning is just as good. Give the warning on a first violation depending on the situation and follow up in a week or two. If you issued a citation to every person on every call i'm sure you would write 100's of citations a week.
Old 08-10-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox2008 View Post
The quality of most ACO's work already does suffer. It is sad to read through these forums and to see that most agencies are fighting the same fights. It isn't a fight against animal cruelty or for animal welfare, it is a fight against our own governments and employers. It is sad that have to fight for well deserved recognition so that we can get equipment and training that is most necessary for the job. How can some departments justify not even equipping their ACO's with a simple catch-pole?
This is very well written, it should be on the main page of the site or something! Heck, I should print it out and hang it on my wall, heh.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

jfox2008 is on a distinguished road

LOL, Thanks Jeff. It just makes me sick to think of how much time and effort is wasted when dealing with the politics of our profession. We could accomplish so much more with half the effort if they would just let us!
Old 08-11-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I have known other agencies who have contracted out their shelter services, but I have never worked for one. Every one of them have run into some kind of issue that caused the cities to build their own facilities.

When we were in the planning process for building our new shelter, we did contact another agency about contracting with them. They wanted X amount per year for the contract, X amount to add space for their facility, X amount per year to pay an extra kennel tech to care for our animals, we would have had to adopt their ordinances and they would have kept ALL of the fees.

Bottom line, it would have cost us more every five years to contract with them, than it did to build our own.

Last edited by Getting too old; 08-11-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Typo