ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 03-06-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alytch View Post
I am just curious about what some officers carry. I know in some areas you need to carry a sidearm and in others a pen, paper and ketchpole will suffice. I'm just curious about what items I may be carrying if I get this job as an ACO.
It's not about the area and if you need a sidearm. It is usually quite the opposite where small nice cities the ACO's are armed and the big cities with much more political clout the officers are not armed due to public opinion. Example : Oakland ACO's are under PD...guess what they carry, nothing. Yes Oakland baby, however a small city with no violent crime such as Roseville, Rocklin...both upper middle class cities with no bad nieghborhoods at all, ACO's are armed. Is it right?? does it make sense?? absolutely not and thats why we need a profession wide standard so it doesnt matter where you work or what the crazy humaniacs have to say. BTW we carry everything a "mainstream" LEO does and have full peace officer authority. In the last two weeks I had a guy 8/9 counts guilty by jury trial- 1 1/2 years straight time, 3 yrs formal probie and a parolee get 8 years 4 months straight time on a guilty plea...we put em away here, but never perceive ourselves as above the animal part of our profession, investigations are great and all, but helping animals comes first.

Last edited by shawnee2630; 03-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2011
Certified Posting ACO

SC-SPCA is on a distinguished road

Schenetcady County spca

Vehicle: Crown Vic with all the bells and whistles
Less Lethal: Baton OC and Cuffs
Lethal: .40 cal Glock 23

We are nys peace officers and have full powers including arrest while on duty and have limited off duty powers to make felony arrests.
Old 03-09-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

In the car - leads, catch poles (we call them "mad poles" but not in public earshot, haha), snappy snares, a cat trap, cat container, liver treats, hard copy of current registrations, CB radio.

On us, mobile phone, notepad and pen, and ideally, a freakin' good memory!

We are not aligned with the police, so we have no idea what kind of person we are dealing with, except from memory, and discussions amongst us rangers that just so happen to glean information that can help in how you're about to deal with a job.

We have one car only that has a hydraulic lifter for the cages, just like for mini skips. This should be MANDATORY for EVERYBODY, instead of having to lift up a dog with the very real risk of either getting bitten or doing your back in.
Old 04-17-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

Belt/self: knife, flashlight, taser, OC spray, asp, 700MHz radio (w/ ear piece). I also wear a vest, lots of pens and notebook. Pants have business cards, extra keys, leashes, treats and cell phone.

Truck: more treats, cadaver bags, 3 catch poles (3' and 2 6'), "Police" yellow reflective vest, MDT, baton, flashlight, more leashes, dog/cat food, dog/cat traps, blankets/towels, fireman boots (for when we have to wade in the canals), various nets, citation book, a whole slew of warning paperwork/pamphlets, etc., camera, grabbers, ummm, other safety equip I cannot think of...

We work for the city PD but do not have arresting power, though we have felony citation ability. We do not go through POST training, but have our own FTO program. We are working on convincing our Chief to let us go to POST. I'm unclear on the sworn in part as I was sworn in with fellow patrol officers...and some say I am and some say I am not. Heh, guess I should figure that out...
Old 04-18-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

What is a felony citation?? here we have infraction and misdi citation...but felony you are taken to jail
Old 04-18-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Never heard of a felony citation. Long form, yes but not a cite. If its a felony they go to tent city.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 04-18-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

Ha, good point. That was a typing error on my part. We do not do felony citations. The person would be arrested via us calling patrol for the person to be taken into custody.

Sorry about that. It was a "duh" moment on my part.

I was wondering how many of you have "Animal Control" indicated somewhere on your uniform? We do not. Our uniform looks the same as patrol aside from us having a gray top rather than Navy. Our badges are the same and we are part of a patrol team. All my superiors are patrol officers, not ACOs.
Old 04-18-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We have the old patrol badges that say "Police" ,and the city I work for, but at the very top it says "Animal Control Officer" or "Police Services Officer" instead of Patrolman. We have the same shoulder patches as patrol but our uniform shirts are light blue instead of Navy. They suck. Not a fan of the light blue shirts but they are better then the all black I wore with County. They were much better looking but effing HOT in the AZ heat.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 04-18-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamel View Post
I was wondering how many of you have "Animal Control" indicated somewhere on your uniform? We do not. Our uniform looks the same as patrol aside from us having a gray top rather than Navy. Our badges are the same and we are part of a patrol team. All my superiors are patrol officers, not ACOs.
Our Patches are the old Public Safety Patch that the City police Department use to wear. They switched and we did not. Our badge says Officer on the top Rocker and Animal Care & Control on the 2nd Rocker with the City's name on the bottom Rocker.

We too wear the light blue shirts and they suck. Currently working on uniform change along with adoption of External vest Carriers that will have ACCD patch on rear panel and badge with name plate on front. Hopefully for these carriers to be worn over a Polo or T-shirt with dept. markings....
Old 04-18-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamel View Post
I was wondering how many of you have "Animal Control" indicated somewhere on your uniform?
Although City Code says Animal Control is under the Police Department, it has not been that way in a long time. I'm under Public Works. I wear the same uniform as a meter reader, sewer worker, and the City Hall janitor. I asked to change my uniform to look like an ACO, like all the ACOs in cities surrounding us, and wear my ACO badge I got thru the State Association. I was told I could wear the colors (green 5.11 pants, "sage" 5.11 shirt, not khaki like all others), but it would have to have the same patch (City seal) over the pocket as the other Public Works guys, and could embroider "Animal Control" on it somewhere, but NO mention of the word "Officer." And can't wear my badge anymore. So what they're telling me is I'm NOT the Animal Control Officer, which City Code also mentions. The only other title listed in City Code is "Pound Man," so that's what I am. So I decided screw it, if I'm not an Animal Control Officer, I'm not gonna try to look like one; I'll stick with the jeans and janitor shirt. Oh yeah, by the way, when I asked for the new uniform, Public Works Director said, "What, are you trying to look like a cop?" He's a jackwagon...