ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 03-04-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

ArmyACO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyACO
Cool Equipment

What type of equipment do you carry? Baton, OC Spray, handcuffs, etc.? Do you have power of arrest?
Old 03-04-2011
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equipment

No power of arrest, no baton, or bite stick. Ketch pole, snappy snare and leash. We also carry cat traps and kitten traps on the trucks. If you know your job and know how to do it thats all you really need and good common sense.
Old 03-04-2011
Certified Posting ACO

UPDHampton is on a distinguished road
I do have the powers of arrest, can pull you over in the "Dog Wagon" as my coworkers call it and am sworn fulltime LEO, I carry baton, oc spray, 2 sets of handcuffs, multi tool, glove pouch, 9mm handgun, bullet proof vest. I also have dog and cat traps, Tranq gun, catch poles, .22 rifle, kevlar feline gloves...They are working on getting me a TASER as well. But I belive the most common tools I use is my Pen and paper and my communication skills, (dog treats don't hurt either). I Love my job and all I can do with it, even if the rest of the department and town still think I'm just a dogcatcher, but I'll keep trying to win them over. Hope this helps!!!
Old 03-04-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPDHampton View Post
I do have the powers of arrest, can pull you over in the "Dog Wagon" as my coworkers call it and am sworn fulltime LEO, I carry baton, oc spray, 2 sets of handcuffs, multi tool, glove pouch, 9mm handgun, bullet proof vest. I also have dog and cat traps, Tranq gun, catch poles, .22 rifle, kevlar feline gloves...They are working on getting me a TASER as well. But I belive the most common tools I use is my Pen and paper and my communication skills, (dog treats don't hurt either). I Love my job and all I can do with it, even if the rest of the department and town still think I'm just a dogcatcher, but I'll keep trying to win them over. Hope this helps!!!
Former Gig: The same as listed above by Hampton... Great Gig.

Current: I have Special Police Powers but not arrest powers. I belt consist of Pager, cell phone, 800 radio, Surefire G2, Pouch for leash's, key keeper, Monondock Baton, OC Spray and a Cop Tool.

We are issued Bullet Resistant Vest but no Firearms as of right now. We are certified in the State LEIN system and have MDT' on the vehicles to do paper work, run individuals and recieve dispatched calls from Chameleon.....

Like Hampton my most used tools are Pen, for citations and my "Coply Intuition"....

The dept. is halfway to where they need to be like I use to be and where Hampton is. Perhaps some day or perhaps someday I'll find myself looking for another gig like my last......
Old 03-04-2011
Kennel Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
No power of arrest, no baton, or bite stick. Ketch pole, snappy snare and leash. We also carry cat traps and kitten traps on the trucks. If you know your job and know how to do it thats all you really need and good common sense.

I'll agree that those are all good tools.... However - I would not agree that would be all I need to do this job.

The day of the dog catcher are gone in my AO. We deal with cruelity / Neglect investigations and put people behind bars for the crimes they commit. I don't know your AO, perhaps you have a very nice small town Mayberry AO and its all good there....

Where I work - we need the police powers we have and more, in order to complete the task at hand. We barely have the bare essentials to do what we do safely and make it home at night...

We are law enforcement officials for the AO we work in and need the correct tools for the job. We have some but not all. Snappy Snares are great and all but they don't do **** for me while we raid a dog fight in the slums....

In my opinion no officer should be on the street without some sort of protection, Be it OC, Baton, vest and a Firearm...... if not ALL FOUR.
Old 03-04-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

ArmyACO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyACO
Cool

Thanks for the replies. I'm not an Aco yet, but maybe very soon. I am just curious about what some officers carry. I know in some areas you need to carry a sidearm and in others a pen, paper and ketchpole will suffice. I'm just curious about what items I may be carrying if I get this job as an ACO. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 03-04-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

Police powers: Yes
Vehicle: Full Police warning package
Less lethal: Chemical capture, Baton, Chemical spray, assorted 12ga rounds
Lethal:Glock 22, Remington 870, Ruger 10/22 *with suppressor*, Bushmaster M-4 clone and a Smith&Wesson 640 *snub nosed revolver*

Vehicle equipment:
Three catch poles, Patrol bag, snappy snare, a bag of leashes, poop bags, snake tongs, cat tongs, cat gloves, dangerous dog gloves, freeman cage net x2, 2 traps, throw net, large net, traffic cones, riot shield, shovels, O2 with animal masks, litter, various crates, ropes various lengths, horse halter, flexi-cuffs, bolt cutters, pry bar, jump kit, hard hat, parka, snow shoes, grade stakes, rail road flares, gopher bombs, nails and hammer, dead box, cargo carrier and a tyvek suit with booties and face shield.

Most used equipment?
The three clip boards I carry in my bag along with my note pad and pen.

However I typically use everything in my vehicle at least once per year.

My previous ACO job consisted of me being tosses a set of keys and road map. My current agency believes in giving you the gear and training to get the job done, and they don't throw you under the bus unless you break policy or the law. I really like it here.

Stay Safe

Fyr
Old 03-04-2011
Kennel Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdawg207 View Post
Police powers: Yes
Vehicle: Full Police warning package
Less lethal: Chemical capture, Baton, Chemical spray, assorted 12ga rounds
Lethal:Glock 22, Remington 870, Ruger 10/22 *with suppressor*, Bushmaster M-4 clone and a Smith&Wesson 640 *snub nosed revolver*

Vehicle equipment:
Three catch poles, Patrol bag, snappy snare, a bag of leashes, poop bags, snake tongs, cat tongs, cat gloves, dangerous dog gloves, freeman cage net x2, 2 traps, throw net, large net, traffic cones, riot shield, shovels, O2 with animal masks, litter, various crates, ropes various lengths, horse halter, flexi-cuffs, bolt cutters, pry bar, jump kit, hard hat, parka, snow shoes, grade stakes, rail road flares, gopher bombs, nails and hammer, dead box, cargo carrier and a tyvek suit with booties and face shield.

Most used equipment?
The three clip boards I carry in my bag along with my note pad and pen.

However I typically use everything in my vehicle at least once per year.

My previous ACO job consisted of me being tosses a set of keys and road map. My current agency believes in giving you the gear and training to get the job done, and they don't throw you under the bus unless you break policy or the law. I really like it here.

Stay Safe

Fyr
AWESOME..... CONGRATS..... HIRE ME! = )
Old 03-04-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I'm a one man show. The main problem with my agency is I'm not part of the PD union, so if municipal funding is cut I am the first full time employee to go.

The only exception is the if the school district cuts the funding for the SRO, they do that a patrol officers get his walking papers not me.

If you're interested in Maine we are looking for a director of the states animal welfare program. State wide jurisdiction with limited police powers and a take home truck. *winks*

Stay Safe

Fyr

Last edited by fyrdawg207; 03-04-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

i lived in Lewistown for short time are you on facebook? send me a PM

Proverb 12:10a
A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals http://www.spcafctx.org