ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 12-19-2005
Forum Friend

dug e
Default Input on a new animal shelter

I am the only ACO in a town of about 9000 people in Oklahoma. Our shelter is samll and outdated. I have 6 dog pins and 8 pins for small animals. I have a gas chamber for euthanization and thats about it.

I want a shelter with a nice reception/adoption area, about 20 dog pins and about as many small animal pins. I would like to have an incinerator, freezer as well as a room to chemically euthanize. I think I could make this room also a place for a Vet to come in and do low cost spay/nuter?

Now paying for it? I cannot find any grant money. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a right place. I would appreciate any and all helpfrom anyone especially okies that have done it.

Thanks
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 12-19-2005
Certified Posting ACO

BA ACO

We are in pretty much the same situation. We are going to have to put it in a bond issue and have the taxpayers vote on it.
Old 12-19-2005
Forum Friend

g_rath is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried to contact any other animal shelters to get advice? If they are not close or in-state they would probably help you out. (close ones donít want the competition.) The place i used to work at in Kennebunk Maine has been around for about 25 years, so they know how to last. The director is very nice there and Iím sure he would be willing to talk to you. The # is 207-985-3244.
Old 12-19-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

sue
Default shelter

Have you tried selling the incenerator idea locally? I have a friend that talked the county commissioners into a one time expense of one. One year she CLEARED over $21,000. She is also in a very rural area but picks up from many of the vets in nearby towns. She can do private creamations for the public & of course the vets pay.

When I founded my shelter - I was in the same boat you are. A huge amount of the labor was provided by the probation dept with people that had to do community service work. Often those people were electricians, construction workers, plumbers etc. Saved me tons - even the juvies worked their tails off pouring concrete & doing grunt work.

Did you know that often banks have programs that provide workers for non-profits ( I think govt shelters qualify) & they get paid for the day they work for you. It is an incentive program many buisnesses offer their employees to do volunteer work.

Are there any larger towns or cities in your county? Check for a builders assoc. They were great. Also, Home Depot's, & Lowe's have local programs available to provide "stuff" for non-profits as do Sam's Club & WalMart. My first kennel building was insulated with free insulation from HD & installed by a person from a bank = no labor cost.

Get a news article in the paper or on TV & ask for what you need - you may be amazed at what you get.

I don't think you will wind up with a state of the art shelter but honestly you can do quite nicely with mfg. buildings, even a trailer type office.

That should at least get you started.
Old 12-21-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

By chemically euthanize, were you referring to staying with the gas, or moving to injectable euthanasia? I think that definately should be a focus to move AWAY from the chamber. Also, I am in the same boat as you with the incinerator. I am only now just starting the research to investigate possible assistance, both locally and state wide. I will let you know if/when I have any luck.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 12-22-2005
Forum Friend

dug e

I so want to move away from the chamber! I am certified by the Oklahoma Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners as a Certified Animal Euthinazia Technician but I have met with some oposition about money. Everyone agrees that it is more humane but dont want to let the chamber go for a number of reasons of which the main one is it is paid for. Another is if we get the drug euth program online to keep the chamber available for an extreme circumstance. I have to agree that since it is only me working and the possibility of having a police officer stop and help me is not going to always happen, the chamber is benificial in the instance that I have the aggressive man eating animal. I dont want to commit suicide by telling the ACO world that but it is the truth.
Gen 1:26-Then God said, \"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.\"
Old 12-22-2005
Forum Friend

g_rath is an unknown quantity at this point

You might be able to make it more palatable to the people that have to pay for it by also doing private/individual cremations for peoples pets. I was in charge of that (and the mass creams.) at my old shelter. It doesnít take more then 15 min. to unload ashes, load a new body and process the remains, and we charged $75- $150 an animal. If you go this way though you NEED to get a remains processor; it grinds the bones up in seconds. You can get one used for about a grand.
Old 12-22-2005
Provisional Posting ACO

sue
Default shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rath
You might be able to make it more palatable to the people that have to pay for it by also doing private/individual cremations for peoples pets. I was in charge of that (and the mass creams.) at my old shelter. It doesnít take more then 15 min. to unload ashes, load a new body and process the remains, and we charged $75- $150 an animal. If you go this way though you NEED to get a remains processor; it grinds the bones up in seconds. You can get one used for about a grand.
Yes, please see my previous post concerning my friend's $21,000 profit on her crematory in one year.

You may want to contact HSUS for numbers to contradict the "gassin em's cheaper" mentality. Fatal Plus was made for shelter budgets & comes in two forms. I much preferred the powder that you mixed with water.

For a dangerous dog - a dart gun is a great tool to deliver the tranq. even if you aren't working alone - much safer. I also had to do much of my euth alone so had to find alternative ways of doing it safely.
Old 12-22-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

You need lot's of money! Get the Media involved.
Do not supercede your boss's wishes, and good Luck
Ask Santa? Merry Christmas!!!
Old 03-06-2009
Probationary Trainee

Adoptadog

If anyone needs a grant to change from gas chamber to euthanasia by injection, please write to me. I know several options to help you make that change!