ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-03-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Iíve been doing this a long time, and I have experienced many, many aggressive dogs, but never anything like that.

Iíve had a Great Dane, and one of our police dogs go for my knees, but it was a single shot and they stopped. I have had others totally fool me into a false sense of security, and when I got out with nothing but a slip leash in my had, they suddenly turned aggressive. Iíve had them put holes in my pants, grab me around the ankle (I always wear padded 8Ē work boots) and I had Jack Russell put a 1Ē cut in the side of my boot.

I have been surrounded by packs of 3 & 4 dogs with only my pole and OC to fend them off with, but yours tops any experience I have ever had.

There is at least one group working with the legislature trying to make it legal for an ACO to carry an ASP in Texas, would you mind if I forward this experience on to them as a bargaining tool?
Old 06-04-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

My toughest dog was also a pit. I was called to a location where the homes have no fencing for a dog at large poss aggressive. I arrived and began going through the lots when I heard a jingle I recongnized all to well. Tags hitting against eachother. I turned towards the jingle and I viewed a white and brindle pit charging straight on with no intention of stopping.

I got into my who haw stance when I encounter chargers, hit the ground with my catch pole and did the whole hey you thingy..

The dog kept comming. I now begin walking backwords knowing that one false move or slip and Im a gonner. I am jabbing the dog with the pole trying to keep it off of me but the dog keeps comming. I hit it in the nose, usually a tender spot, dog kept comming. I am almost to my vehicle when I hear a males voice yell at me to quit hitting the dog. I yell at the man is this your dog? he tells me no. I than told him than to shut the #$@ up.

Not the greatest comment to a citizen but my adrenaline was so high, I just knew my night would be spent in a hospital and here is a jerk telling me to quit hitting the dog. I think he would have enjoyed seeing me chewed up!.

I made it to my truck as the owner came running up and calling the dog. I than cited him.. No questions asked...

MB I know the feeling..

But my most feard dog??

The chihuahua !!!!

Leah
Old 06-05-2008

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollandAC View Post
I HATE to say it as I am a HUGE German Shepherd lover, but the truley most vicious dog I have dealth with and after the second bite had to have have taken from the owner and destroyed was a gorgeous German Shepherd. RIP Max, it wasn't your fault you had stupid owners, it is just unfortunate you had to pay with your life while they went out and bought a new puppy.
I, too, love German Shepherds. I'm an active member of the German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida, work with GSD rescue, and share my house with two GSDs and a GSD/Rott mix (all rescues). That said, some GSDs are just nuts. Indiscriminate breeding combined with poor socialization and lack of training has produced too many aggressive/neurotic/mentally unstable dogs. Not just German Shepherds either. This happens anytime a breed becomes popular, though I think it's worse when you're dealing with large working dogs (GSDs, Rotts, Dobies, etc.)
Old 06-05-2008

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
You forgot a couple.

Every year approximately 49 are killed by lightening. The average person is 4 times more likely to be killed by lightening than by a dog

Every year approximately 17,000 are killed by drunk drivers. The average person is 1,416.7 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by a dog.
GOOD STUFF!! Where did you guys find these statistics? I'd love to share them with our powers-that-be.
Old 06-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

The drunk driver stuff came from MADD. I canít remember where I found the lightening strike info. It was either from the national weather service directly, of some personal safety site that quoted them.

One of my favorite sayings is that I have the Internet, so I know everything.
Old 06-05-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TollandAC is on a distinguished road

MZK10 -
Yes, dogs can definately be cross wired. I have seen it happen. Unfortunately this particular dog was purchased to protect their 600,000 home and the way they had him tied people didn't even know he was there until he was attached to them. Definately NOT socialized, LOT loved, WAS set up for failure. People really stink sometimes.

Tina
Old 06-20-2008

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

Well mine was a chow and to this day don't trust them at all. first day out on my own I got a call about a loose dog attacking a man cutting his grass. I approuched the dog with my catch pole and with in a second he lunged and got my knee. I'll deal with 10 pitbulls at a time before I go up aginst 1 chow with out a shot gun. My first year on the job I was bit three times by three different chows.
Old 06-21-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I met my "most dangerous" dog today. I arrive to a complaint of a gray dog chasing livestock. When I stop the complainant, from inside of her kitchen, is pointing down to the dog on the ground in front of the house. He was an Akita pit mix. I get out and right away he charges me. He continues to charge me not letting me get more then 20 feet from the house yet not close enough so I could snare him. We circle around and around for 20 minutes in and out of the front yard, backyard and open garage. This property was into the middle of the desert so no fences or corners where I could corner him. Unable to get him and him becoming more and more aggressive though it would seem hard to believe since he has now been hit a few dozen times with my snare, I call for PD back up. I was way too west (I was a good 40 miles away from the city) to get another ACO to assist me but PD did not make it out. Due to the temperature of 115 and the fact neither one of us had any water while sizing each other up for close to half an hour, now I HAD to stop. One of us was going to get hurt or sick. The complainant was upset that I had no choice but to stop yet she could understand since she saw me struggle with him and that we will be out in the morning first thing to try to capture him. I aided her by keeping the dog at bay while she feed her horses. After she was 10-4 I called into base and explained just how dangerous this dog was. I am worried that he could severely hurt someone and that I failed at my job..... To protect the people from animals like this. While I was explaining the next step to the Complainant she told me that he has always been kinda "mean" but never this bad. He normally barks and growls but she shouts and he runs away. Over the last few days he has gotten "crazy". I now have thoughts that I have been wrangling with a possible rabid dog..... I don't know what is going to happen now. I am (to cover my own ass) writing a report in case this dog does hurt someone. I did everything I could do and was unable to get him so now it is in the hands of first shift and the T-gun.

Sorry.... rambling..... Worn out from the sun and lack of water..... Where's my beer?

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 06-21-2008
Giga-posting ACO

It is hard for me to say what my most dangerous encounter is, because most of mine have been provoked attacks, usually by some idiot (me) trying to catch the otherwise non-threatening dog.

My scariest unprovoked incident involved a Chow mix. The caller stated the dog was just running around and not acting aggressive, and when I got there the dog didnít show any aggression. I got out of the truck with only a leash, and when the dog saw me, he charged at me. Iím sure I looked like a bull fighter as I was one my toes jumping backward as the dog passed by me, then he turned for another run. By that time I had my OC out and as he approached I gave him a good snoot full. At that point he forgot all about attacking me and went over to wipe his face off in the grass.

Once I had three pits, a mother dog and 2 puppies, which were in a field. When I approached them, they surrounded me with momma in front, the male pup behind and to my left, and the female pup behind and to my right. Momma and the male pup were the aggressors, while the female pup just stood there and barked because it seemed like the right thing to do. When I would try to pole mom, the male pup would advance on me, and when I turned my attention towards the pup mom would advance. I eventually sprayed mom, and she also forgot all about attacking me, went over and sat down. She lost all aggression at that point, so I just slipped a leash on her and took her to the truck. When she turned non-aggressive, so did the pups, and they just followed us.

At one time I had 5 aggressive dogs out once. I backed up against the truck to keep them from surrounding me, pulled out the OC (I detect a theme her, donít you), and started spraying. One of the dogs was a pit, and at the first taste of pepper, it went back to the yard. The rest were shepherd mixes, and I drove them back with spray until they went back in the yard.

I had a chow mix that had been chained to a pole and abandoned. The dog was both aggressive and scared, and he didnít want anything to do with me. I walked around the pole causing him to reel his self in so that I could pole him when he ran out of chain, but I made one little mistake. He was running away and had gotten ahead of me, and instead of keeping the arch going to stay out of his reach, I went straight across toward him. He in turn came straight at me and grabbed me around the ankle. I was wearing combat boots that day, so the dog only put holes in my pants, and not me.

I worked an incident involving a Rottweiler that was pretty bad. Both houses had rear entry garages, one had a garage sale going on, and the other had the Rottie who was getting very agitated and the activity from the sale. The Rotties owner came home and he had a remote opener for his gate. When he opened the gate, the dog attacked the first person he saw. A woman and her 60 year old mother were leaving the sale, and the mother said her daughter just disappeared. She ran around the car and found the Rottie mauling her daughter, then she tackler the dog and held it until the owner could control it. When she tackled it, she accidentally placed her arm in its mouth, and it chewed her pretty good.

It is a slow day around here for a change, and Iím just reminiscing, so Iíll only bore you with one more story.

These people knew that one of their pits was very animal aggressive, so they always kept the dogs separated. One night the ownerís brother was in a bedroom with one of the pits playing video games, and the owner let the aggressive pit in the house also. The brother came out to get something to drink, and the fight was on. They got one back into the bedroom, but then the aggressive one turned on the owner and chewed her up pretty good. The brother tried to help her and was also mauled. The owner called 911, and when the police arrived she was in the front yard yelling ďShoot my dog! Shoot my dog!Ē When the officer entered the house the brother was on top of the dog, white as a sheet from shock and blood loss, and just about to pass out. The cop yelled at him to give him a clear shot, then he put one .357 sig in the dogís head. Just as an interesting factoid about a pit bull skull, the shot was fired straight on, from around 18Ē, but it did not go all the way through.

Maybe one day Iíll sit down and write a book. That may be a better way to share 20+ years of experiences that long posting on a forum thread.
Old 06-22-2008
Probationary Trainee

k.9.trainer.tlm is on a distinguished road
Default dangerous dog

My last supervisor and I had a run in with a female pit that was at large and fearless. Everytime we got near her she would charge and attempt an attack. I finally snared her but while twirling to keep her off balance and bite she did get enough to nail my supervisor on the forearm. It was rough. He got to anxious with the catch pole. Also Rotty's on there home turf are pretty dangerous in my opinion. Then again have repeated encounters with a woman that won't license her daschund every year that is viscious as well. Ha!