Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

For me it would have to be a Rottie.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 05-31-2008
Field Operative

jruner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I wish to avoid the breed banning idea as this is the second year in a row my town has had a problem with Pit Bulls, I still believe it is the owners treatment of the dogs not breed that has caused the problems. Last year lack of socialization, this year abandonment.

John Runer

Last edited by jruner; 05-31-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmelangell View Post
*** Thread Hijack In Progress!!! ***

While I was researching the above, I found the following stats, in case anyone's interested:

16 = average number of people per year who are killed by dogs
100 = average number of people per year who are killed when they choke to death on a ballpoint pen

1 in 2 million = Average risk of being killed by an animal this year
1 in 2 million = Average risk of being killed by falling out of bed this year

1 in 3 = Average lifetime risk of death from heart disease
1 in 5 = Average lifetime risk of death from cancer
1 in 45 = Average lifetime risk of death in an auto accident
1 in 72 = Average lifetime risk of committing suicide
1 in 700,000 = Average lifetime risk of being killed by a dog

Sounds like we need to stop worrying so much about the dogs, and start worrying a little more about those ballpoint pens we've been carting around in such a devil-may-care fashion ...

*** End of Thread Hijack. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled thread. ***

You forgot a couple.

Every year approximately 49 are killed by lightening. The average person is 4 times more likely to be killed by lightening than by a dog

Every year approximately 17,000 are killed by drunk drivers. The average person is 1,416.7 times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by a dog.

I have been doing this so long, and handled so many dogs, that none actually stand out anymore. I have encounter bad Rotties, Pits, Chows, Shepherds and a variety of mixes there of. I had a lady with two Fila Brasileiros (a 160+ lb male, and a 150+ lb female), and whenever I went to that house, I would knock on the door, back off about 10’ and get my spray ready.

The one that sent me to the ER was an Australian Shepherd. The worst maulings I have seen were one by a Rot and another by a Pit.
Old 05-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruner View Post
Thanks for the replies. I wish do avoid the breed banning idea as this is the second year in a row my town has a problem with Pit Bulls, I still believe it is the owners treatment of the dogs not breed that has caused the problems. Last year lack of socialization, this year abandonment.

John Runer
It may help to educate people that when they read the CDC or AVMA reports that state 52% of all dogs bites are done by Rottweilers and “Pit Bull type dogs”, that the term “Pit Bull type dogs” refers to any of 25 – 35 different “bully” breeds of dogs, and not Pete from the Little Rascals.
Old 05-31-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Another note on the 52% being rotts and pit-types...some studies use only those bites that were reported to a law enforcement or animal control agency or which required medical attention...I would suspect that many bites done by smaller dogs do not require medical attention, or are simply unreported because 'small dogs are nippy' and so the victim excuses it, and are therefore not included in the study statistics, whereas bites by larger dogs (esp. pits, rotts, shepherds, etc.) are more likely to be reported to an angency because the perception of being 'vicious' is more strongly tied to those breeds and therefore bites by those dogs are less likely to be 'excused'--plus their greater size and strength would be more likely to cause an injury requiring attention (think of a teacup poodle's teeth vs. a rott's teeth-which will leave bigger punctures as a result of a single chomp?) Again, this is just my suspicion...any thoughts on this?

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 06-01-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I would say the worst dog you could ever encounter is the same as the worst person you could ever encounter. That is the one that you under estimate. I happen to love dealing with the big "dangerous" breeds. Like has been said earlier in this thread "judge the deed". I still havent figured out what a pitbull type dog is i guess its any dog 60 or so pounds with four legs and teeth.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 06-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

LTF touched on a very valid point about the medical treatment. The CDC report states;

“Each year, 800,000 Americans seek medical attention for dog bites; half of these are children. Of those injured, 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department and about a dozen die.”

I have been to many, many emergency rooms taking dog bite reports, and the overwhelming number of people I have seen don’t even require stitches. They simply clean and bandage the puncture or cut, then give the victim some antibiotics.

The problem, and the B. S. legislation supporters try to use this, is that people assume if the victim went to the emergency room after a dog bite, that they needed reconstructive surgery and/or a half gallon of blood.
Old 06-02-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

jderksen
Cool I call em as I see em

Ever here of the Jeff Foxworthy routine where he wonders why some kids blame their parents for everything that goes wrong in their lives I think the joke went like this, My mother was great, my father was great, I'm just a sh... head! I think this defintely applies to at least a few dogs I've dealt with over the years. Anyways the worst dog for me was definitely an Akita which was being kept by a family, with small kids about, it got mean as it grew up, granted it was probably never trained eh! So when the people decided they had enough they asked a friend to take it to the SPCA. Long story short it went up one side of this poor fellow and up the other side on the way down. He ended up in emergency and leaving the dog in the back yard, called our department to come get it. Thank goodness for catch poles, as the bugger came at me with a vengence too... A few good jabs and the chase was on round and round the yard, till he cornered himself and made the mistake of trying to climb the fence, hard to run that-away so then it easy enough to snare him and then hang on, thank goodness for lack of oxygen and finally into a flight kennel, & the back of the truck. I love this job!
Old 06-02-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning To Fly View Post
I would suspect that many bites done by smaller dogs do not require medical attention, or are simply unreported because 'small dogs are nippy' and so the victim excuses it ... whereas bites by larger dogs ... are less likely to be 'excused'--plus their greater size and strength would be more likely to cause an injury requiring attention ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting Too Old
I have been to many, many emergency rooms taking dog bite reports, and the overwhelming number of people I have seen don’t even require stitches. They simply clean and bandage the puncture or cut, then give the victim some antibiotics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPD336
I would say the worst dog you could ever encounter is the same as the worst person you could ever encounter. That is the one that you under estimate. ... I still havent figured out what a pitbull type dog is i guess its any dog 60 or so pounds with four legs and teeth.
All of these are excellent points. In terms of "what kind of dog is dangerous," looking back at CDC, there's a missing piece of data: For the approx. 306 fatalities during CDC's 18-year study period, the dog's breed(s) are not reported for 68 fatalities (22%).

The highest breed-specific fatalities are listed as 66, under "pit bull types," and as the report itself mentions, dog breeds are often mis-identified by victims and paramedics. Therefore, the largest statistical grouping of fatalities is actually from "unknown breeds," and the next highest is from "a group of breeds, identified roughly as such by people who already know that pit bulls are the devil."

I'm sure this isn't regularly discussed because CDC doesn't want to underscore the bad data collection practices of that period, and I assume, given recent history, that the data collection will improve in their next study...

Anywho, here's two more interesting pieces of literature I found:

Pit Bull Ban, But No Effect on Number of Bites. After the United Kingdom banned pit bulls in the 1990s, a study showed that the number of dog bites remained the same even though the number of pit bulls had steeply declined. (Study cited in B. Heady and P. Krause, "Health Benefits and Potential Public Savings Due to Pets: Australian and German Survey Results," Australian Social Monitor, Vol.2, No.2, May 1999.) This may not mean as much as you'd think, since dog bites have been rising fairly sharply in the U.S. during recent years, while British bites have leveled off ... so maybe that means that the British ban did save them from having a similar increase to ours. We'll never know.

Study of Recent Fatalities by Breed/BSL. The study that everyone quotes is CDC's from 18 years of the 70s and 80s, so it's very old data; this study is similar, but with newer data and a BSL discussion at the end. Very interesting and informative -- finally explains how the heck a Highland Terrier can kill someone (a child, strangled by its leash).

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 06-03-2008
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

My scariest dog ever was a pit bull. He was on the other side of a chain link fence. I was standing in the middle of an open double lot. I started my usual "well hi there puppy", when he literally melted that chain link fence and came at me full bore. He destroyed my catch pole. The scary part was that he kept trying to knock my legs out from under me. He wanted to get me down first. Very scary. I emptied a can of pepper spray directly into his mouth and nostrils yet he continued to attack me. Next I hit him as hard as I could across the skull with a flashlight. He came at me again. While continuing to munch on my now destroyed catch pole and on the end of my baton I managed to finally back off enough to make it the loooooooong distance to my truck where I proceeded to shake with adrenaline under my back up arrived. I think at this point the pepper was beginning to set in. Dog finally crawled under a bush and we got him.
I've never before or since had a dog pull the "bowling for dog wardens" routine and try to get my feet out from under me!
That dog meant to kill me, I could see it in his eyes.
He was not reclaimed by his drug dealing owner, nor was the other pit that he kept chained on the edge of the open lot.

Which breed am I most afraid of? Lhasa apsos!!!! Seriously!

MB