ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 05-30-2008
Field Operative

jruner is on a distinguished road
Default The most dangerous dog?

What is the most dangerous dog you have dealt with as a new ACO the worst for me was a neglected female Black Labrador, she was very fearful and aggressive toward people. The second was the Pit Bull I had to have Fish and Game put down. I personally feel any dog can be conditioned to be vicious, yet I keep hearing only certain breeds are dangerous? Opinions and experiences please.

John Runer
Old 05-30-2008
Field Operative

Connecticut AACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Connecticut AACO Send a message via Yahoo to Connecticut AACO

The worst dog that I had to deal with was a rotti who was new to the area and thought that the residence that he was at was his home, but actually wasn't, owner's moved to the area and the dog got loose. Almost had to have the dog tazered by PD, but the owner showed up just in time.
Old 05-30-2008
Certified Posting ACO

TollandAC is on a distinguished road

I HATE to say it as I am a HUGE German Shepherd lover, but the truley most vicious dog I have dealth with and after the second bite had to have have taken from the owner and destroyed was a gorgeous German Shepherd. He had also bitten many times that apparently were not called into us but the first bite was a typical bite with a dumb owner, the second recorded bite was an attack. The dog started at the girls left shoulder and chewed on her all the way to thy thigh. I believe there was more than 10 actual deep punctures. I had to hold the dog for the beginning of the quarantine to avoid having it tested but that is what we ended up doing because the dog was WAY too hard to deal with even witht he guillotine door system as he wouldn't go through the door, just kept chewing on the fence and trying to eat me. I finally had the day I had to take him out of his kennel and to the Vet, BY MYSELF on a Saturday. The Vet gave me 100mg of Acepromazine and it didn't even phase him but I was able to get him transferred from the kennel to the van with the pole and we were able to synch him against one side of the crate so the vet could sedate him through the bars. That was a TOUGH one. Poor dog died because his owners tied him to the front of their 650,000 dollar home on a shih tzu type cable and he would hide in the garage. When people came up the walkway he would come storming out of the garage and bite them.

RIP Max, it wasn't your fault you had stupid owners, it is just unfortunate you had to pay with your life while they went out and bought a new puppy.

Tina
Old 05-30-2008
Field Operative

jruner is on a distinguished road

Stupid owners I bet that could be a never ending thread!

John Runer
Old 05-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

One and only dog I had to spray was a Boxer. It was weird, usually they are the sweetest ever but this one spent it's life on a chain and didn't know how to be "mans best friend".
Old 05-30-2008
Field Operative

Dale4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was a Mastiff Mix, When the dog went for the owner. Then the owner shot the dog with an arrow that was in the dogs shoulder, and all it did was piss him off. I had to get him into the truck, then out of the truck and into the pound alone. I will never forget that one.
Old 05-30-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Well for us the words "dangerous" and "vicious" are legally defined terms. An animal has to actually do something before being found "dangerous" or "vicious" by the county.

That being said, I don't automatically trust or distrust any dog breed, I've seen golden retreviers that were super aggressive, or chow chows that were the sweetest dogs in the world, and just about everything in between. I hate to use the saying "punish the deed not the breed", I'd rather say something like "judge the deed and not the breed", punish really doesn't fit in this discussion, at least not till they do something.

Jeff
Old 05-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixbyFire View Post
"judge the deed and not the breed"
There's the point, indeed ... very well said, Jeff.

In my humble (who said that?) opinion, the owner's relationship with the dog, e.g., whether the dog is kept forcibly alone too much (isolation) or allowed to run loose with other dogs and scavenge (packing) is a much more reliable way of predicting aggression than is breed. The only thing breed affects is whether a dog is big/strong enough to knock someone down and hurt them.

Think, for example, of the relative dangers of a dog in a good home (fed, treated well, and socialized with humans daily); a dog in a lousy home (starved, abused, isolated, or allowed to run in a pack); or a wild wolf (as a "control" group, since it is a canid with no human contact, except incidentally). Domestic dogs kill about 16 people a year in the U.S., while a wolf has never killed a human in North America (okay, admittedly, there aren't a lot of them left to do so -- but never ever, not even once). We don't keep good enough records to be sure (), but I would be willing to bet that most of those 16 people a year are killed by dogs that have been isolated or packed up.

And comparing isolation to packing as a factor, I note that, in CDC's discussion of fatal dog attacks, 67% of the victims were killed by a single dog acting alone; 21% were killed by two dogs; and only 12% were killed by three or more dogs (pack behaviour). Ipso facto, interestingly, a single isolated dog is more likely to be dangerous than a pack. (Yet another good argument against the whole dog-alone-in-the-back-yard-going-crazy method of dog management. Maybe we should start refusing to adopt to one-dog homes?)

Here's the link to CDC's discussion of fatal dog attacks again:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 05-31-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: need a new keyboard.
Old 05-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

*** Thread Hijack In Progress!!! ***

Didn't want to disturb the flow of reason here, but whilst researching the above, I found the following fascinating information, can't keep it to myself, and don't know where else to hang it:

16 = average number of people per year who are killed by dogs
100 = average number of people per year who are killed when they choke to death on a ballpoint pen

1 in 2 million = Average risk of being killed by an animal this year
1 in 2 million = Average risk of being killed by falling out of bed this year

1 in 3 = Average lifetime risk of death from heart disease
1 in 5 = Average lifetime risk of death from cancer
1 in 45 = Average lifetime risk of death in an auto accident
1 in 72 = Average lifetime risk of committing suicide
1 in 700,000 = Average lifetime risk of being killed by a dog

Sounds like we need to stop worrying so much about the dogs, and start worrying a little more about those ballpoint pens we've been carting around in such a devil-may-care fashion ...

P.S., dog bite fatalities statistic from CDC (332 total fatalities in 20 years = 16.6/yr average; for breed-specific study, see http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf). Rest of data from sidebar in article on wolf aggression (which was fascinating) from the Wild Sentry project in the Rocky Mountains (Wild Sentry Newsletter #31, Spring 2001 Bruce Weide; http://www.wildsentry.org/WolfAttack.html).

*** End of Thread Hijack. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled thread. ***

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)

Last edited by stmelangell; 06-05-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add article citations
Old 05-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

The most dangerous dog I've ever dealth with was a jindo. They are VERY unpredictable, EXTREMELY loyal to their owner and ABSOLUTELY do not get along with other dog breeds.

The most vicious dog I've ever dealt with was a rotti that nearly tore off a womans arm and ear, and then attempted me for dessert !

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!