ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Chow Time

Old 05-15-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default Chef reality TV....who watches

Chef reality TV can be awesome and it can open even my burned out tired mind with mixtures like wasabi, chocolate and apples. But then you have shows that bastardize everything that happens in kitchen. So does anybody else watch chef shows? Who likes what? Are they "real"? Is it at all like the Animal Control Reality shows? Why have I chosen professions that other people, aka. "normal people" find fun to watch?

Top chef rocks! It is about cooking and the FOOD.

Hells Kitchen sucks because it is about watching others fail over and over again, mixed with an overload of drama.

BBC's kitchen nightmares is GREAT! seeing these ****ty restaurants and how Ramsey turns them around is awesome. Ramsey is a great chef and he shows it over and over again.

Chef movies are OK.... non really stick in my mind. what do you all like? What am I forgetting? What the hell was Spike thinking?!

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-15-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually like Hell's Kitchen. Yea, there is added drama, but most of the people who make it through week by week do improve throughout the show. It's interesting to see just how much of a chef some of the people who claim to be chefs really are, especially when under pressure.

I have seen Kitchen Nightmares, both the BBC one and the ones they did for Fox here. I liked it a lot, great show, and it really shows how a few simple things can really turn a business around. Some of the things Gordon does, even in the customer service areas, can apply to many types of businesses too.

I have seen some of the Food Network shows, like the next Food Network start or whatever it was, and some of the shows about cooking/baking challenges are pretty good too. I was an Iron Chef addict (the original Japanese version) but I haven't seen it in awhile.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I too like Hell's Kitchen...yes, it can be harsh, but the contestants know going in what they are in for (unlike the friends and family of the contestant soin that lie detector show-that was awful..life-destroying, even, in my opinion.) I LOVED the Japanese Iron Chef...the cute-voiced female commentator who ALWAYS said things like 'it has such pretty colors!' made me giggle! Iron Chef America is ok, but not as good. I like Food Network Challenge, too. I used to enjoy watching Charm City Cakes, but I guess seeing yet another vehicle-or-cute-mascot-shaped cake has kinda lost its charm with me (no pun intended, really!) Dinner: Impossible is another favorite, but only because of Robert Irvine's massive arms...good grief, they are huge!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 05-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

The only real cooking show I watch regularly is Lidia Matticchio Bastianich AKA Lidia's Italy She reminds me of growing up watching my mother and grandmother in the kitchen.

"Tutti a tavola a mangiare"

Occasionally I'll watch Bobby Flay or Diners, Dives and Drive-ins or Alton Brown. The rest are pretty much crap on a plate.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 05-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Iron chef is a classic! The American one is great on a culinary level because I see foods we work with on a regular basis and it is fun watching them come up with fantastic combos. The Japanese one is just fun to watch! So over the top it is funny yet amazing food. Though I am not a big fan of fish eyes, some people are..... I can't stand Bobby Flay and every time he comes on TV I throw whatever is closest to me at the show. There is another show called restaurant makeover that is OK. They take a failing restaurant and give it a whole new look and menu to bring it back. I have many stories of Hells kitchen. Very personal stories..... Humm.... Those cooks are REAL cooks but they are on that show for severe personality flaws. That is why people watch. To see Ramsey scream not to watch the cooks cook. I guess I have mixed feelings about that show.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-16-2008

Of course, the BEST chef show EVER was The Swedish Chef on The Muppet Show!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

Last edited by Learning To Fly; 05-16-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: added way cool pic
Old 08-29-2008
Probationary Trainee

hooliganAZ is on a distinguished road

i love top cheff its one of my favorite shows, cant waite for the new season should be starting soon was about to go to culinary school b4 i became an ACO
Old 08-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganAZ View Post
i love top cheff its one of my favorite shows, cant waite for the new season should be starting soon was about to go to culinary school b4 i became an ACO
Good gravy! This seems to be a surprisingly common combination-chef/ACO!

I loved the show "Dinner: Impossible" (Robert Irvine's arms were...incredible...) but now Michael Symon is the host, and it just isn't the same..

St Francis of Assisi

Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

[quote=Learning To Fly;34611]Good gravy! This seems to be a surprisingly common combination-chef/ACO! ..........
quote]
It does doesn't it? Myself, I was in the business early in my life I was a sophmore in high school when I first started working in a resturaunt as a busboy. I remember the first time I walked in to the kitchen, I thought to myself THIS is where I wanna work! Within 9 months I had myself a spot in the kitchen making salads and doing light prep work. There were three chefs and a couple apprentices working in the kitchen. Two of the three chefs were right off the boat from Italy, they spoke very little English but were two great guys they had no problem teaching me stuff as best they could. The third chef was a crotchety old bastard who hated everyone, this guy wouldn't teach a nun how to boil water. After a year of tutoring me the two Italian guys convinced the owner to fire the old guy and replace him with me. I stayed in the business for about 8 years after that before going in to the Army. After that I never got the same enjoyment out of working in the business, but I do enjoy cooking at home and experimenting, LOTS of experimenting.
Anybody else in the class want to share their story ?

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Im not a chef, BUT....

Our part-time DOA pick-up officer was this beautiful, skinny gal with long light blond hair that went down to her waist.

After she got off work around noon, she would go over and work at the local fresh food/smoothie/grill.

I often wonder how many times she got recognized. Me? I used to ask her all the time if I picked up something to eat if she REALLY washed her hands today.