ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road
Default Yo, Scooterchic

A friend of mine is looking at getting a scooter to save on gas, and she was asking me about them. I have been riding longer than I care to remember, but my taste runs towards something with a 0 – 60 of less than 4 seconds. In fact, here is a pic of my last “scooter”.

KZ1000j.jpg

Since I have virtually no practical knowledge of the smaller side of the two wheel world, I thought I would ask an expert. What should we look at first?

Oh, and by the way, here is a memento of my last ride.

100_0610a.JPG

Be safe out there.
Old 05-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Well, a few questions for your friend. Does she like the classic look like the green one in my signature? Does she want one that has a sporty style? Was size engine does she want? They range from 49cc up the daily work horse 400cc and larger. I am not a huge fan of the 50ccs only because you do not have that extra umph that you may need to get away from stupid cagers. So here are a few I suggest to get you started.

The stella!
http://www.genuinescooters.com/scoot...la/stella.html

It is a solid 2-stroke scooter that copies the classic Vespa p series scoots. I think everyone owns one in my club.... A few notes, you have to shift, it is a 2 stroke so you will need different oil and may need more work to maintain it compared to the plastic scoots. But man oh man it is a kick in the pants to ride!

Next from the same company is the BUDDY! Gay name, fantastic scooter!

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scoot...y/buddy_3.html

Also

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/buddy/intl.html

The buddy is one of the best plastic scooters you can by. My husband has one that I ride on a regular basis. SOLID scooters with many colors. They range from 50cc to 150cc. The most common is the 125. 4 or 5 people in my club have these. A few things about the buddy, it is a "twistie" or automatic so no need to shift. Also a 4 stroke engine so regular oil is needed. The maintaining of the buddy is low for bikes but still need more then cars. I great first scooter with a large range of power.

the Honda Ruckus.

http://powersports.honda.com/scooter...ModelId=NPS508

This thing is cool. It is a 50cc scoot with big o' knobby tires! I have always wanted to take it off road to see how it would do. Another twistie and 4-stoke scooter this one is made by Honda so you know is is a reliable scooter. Though they only have 50cc engines, they are powerful and fun. I have not owned one so not sure of the maintaining of it but you really can't go wrong with it.

As for the big mama's I suggest the Yamaha Majesty.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../415/home.aspx

I use this scoot almost everyday for the past 2.5 years. 400cc power house, i have gotten it up to 105 mph! I have always been a fan of Yamaha due to my early days racing go karts so I bought one. This was reviewed as the BEST maxi scoot ( any scooter over 250cc) period. So agile for its size and amazingly well balanced considering it weight. You can almost lay it flat to the ground and touch the asphalt with your handle bars..... I have scared myself on this bike quite a few times .

The modern Vespa scooters

http://www.vespausa.com/

You can't go wrong with these scoots. They range from 49cc up to 250cc. I consider them the BMW or Audi of scooters. They are the original makers of scooters so they have been around for close to 60 years. The modern Vespa is a good easy to use scooter but because of the name, you will be paying a lot for it. For example; the standard 50cc Vespa called the "LX" is $3,199.00. The the 50cc Honda Ruckus is $2,049.00 and the Genuine Buddy 50cc is $1,999. So for the same power as the Ruckus and Buddy you are going to pay over a grand more. Just think about that. People who by modern Vespa's mostly buy it for the name. As a scooter, not that much better then any of the others.

If your friend is into a lot of pain, sorrow and does not mind getting stranded in the middle of nowhere like me, she could always try to find a "real" scooter. This is what scooter elite (or I call scooter Nazi 's) call classic Vespa's and Lambretta's. 9 times out of 10 you will need to build it yourself and spend more money then you ever thought on a bike just to get it up and running but man want fun it is! Most of these scoots you would find in some ones garage or barn. Like my 1966 small frame my husband and I are trying to restore.

Fun fun fun! Of coarse it does not look like this right now, it is 4 different colors and in 25 pieces.

Whatever you buy DO NOT GET A CHINESE SCOOTER!!! It will break down and not work with in the first year of so. They have no quality standards! By The Italian, Japanese or Indian scooters but do not buy the Chinese scoots. Please don't let the small price tag get you. Just remember you get what you pay for!

OK I hope I have helped out a little bit. If your friend finds a scoot that she likes please fell free to run it by me before she buys. I would love to help get another cager on two wheels!

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

Hi Scoot,

Thanks for the links. I would love to sell my car and get one. what is the insurance like on them ruffly. I really like the Yamaha.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 05-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Progressive offers the best and for three of the scooters that are legal and working, for full coverage on each, we pay $400 a year. It is great because of they are cheap to replace and if the crash is bad enough (kinda a sick sad reason, but I strongly feel they do this) you may not walk away from it. So there you go. For the new riders, I suggest you try to find a riding class or read a book called "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. It will teach you the proper way to ride.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

She is a fairly petite woman, totally novice and not very mechanical, so I’m thinking 125 or less 4 stroke. I’ll check local availability, but I suspect it will be a Honda or a Yamaha.

As for me, my KZ got 35 MPG around town, and my F150 gets 14, so I’m considering another bike. However, only about 10% of my normal commute is highway, and the putting around town just ain’t no good for a big bike, so I’m looking smaller.

At 6”2” I look goofy on a small bike, so I’m looking for something like a Honda XR650L. Small enough to putt around town, big enough for highway, and best of all, I won’t look like goofy riding it.
Old 05-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Honda and Yamaha make many different kinds of scooters in the smaller engines. I just listed a few of my favorites. For example there is the Honda Metropolitan, the elite and helix. As for Yamaha they carry the C3, the Zuma, the vino classic and new vino 125. Finally the Morphous..... which is officially the ugliest scooter ever!!! I LOVE IT! Plus you really can't beat the color of "Yamaha racing blue"! Again let me know what type of scooter she is checking out and I will give you some advise on if it is quality. With the way gas prices are going she is going to want something to last for a while. What town do you live in? I can search for you where a decent scooter shop is.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 05-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

I don’t remember if her address is in Haltom City or if it is Ft. Worth, she recently moved. The closest Vespa dealer is in Ft. Worth, not terribly far from us. Yamaha/Suzuki of Texas is walking distance from my shelter and the school where she teaches, and there is a Honda shop on Airport Freeway about 10 miles from where we work. I haven’t taken the time yet to look at the others.

I’ve had 2 Hondas, a Suzuki, 3 Kawasakis and 3 Yamahas, so I know the “motorcycle” shops by heart. Scooters on the other hand, just ain’t my thaing. There is a guy @ church who rides Honda scooters, and has ridden them for the 15 or so years I have known him, so maybe we’ll look at his.

I know it generally not a guy thing, but with age comes wisdom, and I have found that it is often beneficial to stop and ask directions. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

I found this place on the cyceltrader website
http://www.motorcycles.pro/Home/tabid/143/Default.aspx
I have never heard of half the brands he sells.
Picks? Pans?
Old 05-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Can't say I have heard of this either. Check out this places....

Vespa Fort Worth
1111 University Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 698-0404

University Scooters of Dallas
5626 E. University BLVD.
Dallas, TX 75206
(214) 361-1030

Both this shops sell good scooters.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Last edited by Scooterchic; 05-08-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

The problem is that I’m off on Sunday and Monday, and all of the shops are closed on Sunday and Monday. They all open on Monday during the Summer, and being a teacher, she will be off all Summer, so after the school year we may go scooter shoppin’.

That is assuming she doesn’t wimp out on me. She knows about my wreck, where I totaled out my bike and $400 of riding gear. And we talked about my biggest phobia, which is being rear ended, so I’m afraid she is having second thoughts.

My phobia is one reason I prefer big 4 cylinder Jap bikes. If you see something in your mirror that causes you concern, you just drop a gear, grab a handful of throttle, and hyperspace out of the way.