ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 04-22-2008
Certified Posting ACO

bladestunner316 is on a distinguished road
Default ACO Academy

How intense is the standard two week ACO Acedemy? Is it difficult to pass?

Nate
Old 04-22-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I am assuming you are talking about the WACA academy...Jan Magnuson, the academy coordinator, and her crew does a fantastic job with the WACA academy! It is great training, and there is a lot of information, but if you reasonably good at learning stuff you should be ok. There's no trick questions on the exam, and I felt that every instructor did a good job of covering their topics--for every question on the exam I could think back and remember when it was discussed (didn't get them all correct, but i could remember when it was discussed!) I took a lot of notes, but that is how I learn best...if you pay attention and review the material each night you should be able to pass. I had a lot of fun at the academy, and learned more than I expected to (and I expected to learn a lot, so that's saying something!) Plus, you leave with a huge binder full of material-three years later I still find myself referring back to it now and again!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 04-23-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I should also add that if you are interested in attending the WACA academy I would make sure to register early...like as soon as registration opens--the class usually fills really quickly!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 04-23-2008
Certified Posting ACO

I would in a heartbeat if they allowed me to take it on my own with out being hired on with someone first.

Thank you for the detailed post. I want to give myslef as much a heads up as possible as I step forward into this career.
Old 04-30-2008
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

The WACA Academy is based off of the NACA Academy. The material you cover in WACA is the exact same as NACA. Jan does a great job with the academy and gets very good instructors from the local area. Unfortunately, because the space is limited only actual officers can attended the WACA Academy. However, the NACA Academy does not require you to be an actual ACO. They provide the training for people who want to get into the field and for those that aren't actual officers, but work in shelters/humane societies or similar animal fields. I recently finished my NACA Academy, and we had two people who were not ACOs nor were they affiliated with any shelter/humane society. They're looking to become an ACO. One of them put forth their own money to attend the class last year and the class this year. The other student received a scholarship from NACA. If you go on NACA's website you'll find a link for the scholarship and you can apply. One person for each scheduled class offered will be given the scholarship.

The nice thing about the NACA Academy is the instructors they obtain to teach the courses. Last year we had one of the top veterinarian's and leading equestrian veterinarian in the US come and teach us about zoonotic diseases. This year we had the lead investigator in the Michael Vick dog fighting case come teach us about Dog Fighting. Both Academies are great, but so if you can attend either of them it will be a give help.
Old 05-02-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Sound's great!!
Old 05-02-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Getting my bite stick and OC certs this Sunday. I will have pictures for everyone. Nothing says friendship like pepper spray to the face. I hope to make you all laugh at my bright red face.

Cheers, scooterchic

Old 05-02-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Nice! Looking forward to seeing them!