ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 02-18-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

ArmyACO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyACO
Talking ACO Job Interview

Hello all! So, if you've seen my previous posts in the Job section, you know that I've been getting frustrated with being unable to find an ACO/HLE job because I am in the Army (getting out in 5 months) so no one was interested in me. Well, I finally got a break and got a phone call the other day from the Chesterfield County Police department about an ACO position. I've only held one job in my 25 years of life and that is the Army, so this will be my first time going to a job interview. Does anybody have any ACO job interview specific adivce that they could give me? Maybe what to expect, what to bring, things like that? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Andrea
Old 02-18-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay Calm. Don't Panic. Remember there is a fine line we all walk with serving our community and helping animals.
Old 02-18-2011

acofred is on a distinguished road

And if that interview doesn't work out for you, you might try applying for the ACO job on the Army base in CA. Someone experienced in military matters might have the leg up on that job.
Old 02-18-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
........... you might try applying for the ACO job on the Army base in CA. Someone experienced in military matters might have the leg up on that job.
Yep. Fort Irwin Ca. Military base ACO position closed on the 14th. You would get preference over civilian for sure. I should know. I was a qualified applicant for the position, but not "the best" qualified, according to them and was shot down...
Old 02-21-2011

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

As for ACO specifics, remember you are being hired by the people to service the people. Don't dwell on "saving animals." When asked "What do you expect to be doing as an ACO" I answered something like "Protecting people from animals, protecting animals from people, and enforcing City ordinances to ensure that everybody can coexist peacefully." My boss later told me that my answer to that question got me the job.

4 or 5 years ago we had an excellent thread on this very subject. I wish I had saved the link. If you have time, search the archives.

Interviewing is scary. Like you, I hadn't really interviewed for a position before this job either. There are all kinds of tips out there on how to interview -- in books, on the web, etc. Review them. Beware of awkward silences, and the urge to "babble" during them. Bring copies of your certificates and a list of references, just in case they want to see them. Research the county/state ordinances beforehand (everything is online now). The interviewer(s) will (or should) ask "Do you have any questions?" Have questions!

We're Navy, and in Florida, so terminology may be different. However, look at the services you have available through the Army and service organizations. When my husband was on his way out there were all kinds of "transition" classes offered that interview techniques, etc. Our Family Service Center offers similar services. Work Source also has a team that services only military and veterans. If you have anything like that, USE IT!

If you're talking about Chesterfield County in Virginia, then I have family there. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2011

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your PM box. I just sent you some more info.
Old 02-21-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk10 View Post
As for ACO specifics, remember you are being hired by the people to service the people. Don't dwell on "saving animals." When asked "What do you expect to be doing as an ACO" I answered something like "Protecting people from animals, protecting animals from people, and enforcing City ordinances to ensure that everybody can coexist peacefully." My boss later told me that my answer to that question got me the job.
I wish more ACO's took this approach. If we had more Officers that understood that we are enforcing laws and not just out there to save "Fido" then our ranks would be viewed upon more favorably as Law Enforcement Officers who specialize in Animal Complaints instead of, here comes the "dog catcher'.........

And if that was the case - our "profession" would come along much quicker.......
Old 02-21-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do don't tell them you watch Animal Cops...Or Animal Planet for that matter.
Old 02-22-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Animal "Cops" is bullsh** I do more investigations into misdis and felonies in a week then they do all season...not to mention they dont show them picking up a rotten dead animal, or getting covered in mud after sliding down a ditch to get a injured animal. Those shows do not depict our profession well at all in my opinion...maybe because the shows are always SPCA's instead of actual animal control...sorry we can't pick and choose what we do and what we dont WANT to do.

Speaking of shows..."confessions:animal hoarding" is a sham, they contacted my chief two weeks ago asking if they could place 10 dogs in a guys home for the show...ummm my chief said no.

Last edited by shawnee2630; 02-22-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road

"Ton of Cash" is a sham (IMHO) too. We were staying at Calico ghost town when several HUGE toy haulers and HUGE Prevost rig came in, as well as dozens and dozens of truck loads of stuff. They set up in the canyon and proceeded to "take over" the campground. 5 AM they insisted on opening and closing the dumpster to the excess of 20 times. we were about to shoot someone.
The object was for them to hike from LA to Vegas with the cash on their back "through some of the worst known lands." Well, ok, they are crossing the desert, but it was January, NOT July when it would have been 120+.
We asked for a refund of the days we had already paid for, and left.

I have little faith in these "reality shows". In fact, I AVOID the newspaper and TV press at ALL costs. No matter what you tell them, they will twist it around and publish what they think will sell.