ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 02-04-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
Hey, I'm having to deal with snow stacked up in piles (from the back hoes, snow plows, etc.) that are taller than me in some areas.
Yeah, but you've told us how tall you are, so we're not impressed...LOL!!
Old 02-04-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
Yeah, but you've told us how tall you are, so we're not impressed...LOL!!
Easy.... We don't need any Angry Midgets here........LOL
Old 02-04-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
Easy.... We don't need any Angry Midgets here........LOL

Hey, I would watch out if I were you, I took down a retired police officer when I was 19 after I regained consciousness from a car accident. (The guy was leaning over me and pushing me back down into the seat and I did not know who he was or what he was doing in my car.) After getting my ACO self-defense training, I took down someone that was over 6 ft and held him there until police came. So... if I get an adrenaline rush to the point where I feel my life is threatened, I can defend myself.
Old 02-05-2011
Certified Posting ACO

SC-SPCA is on a distinguished road

As the Doc can vouch for.... You have not seen snow if you habit felt with an upstate ny snowstorm.
Old 02-05-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-SPCA View Post
As the Doc can vouch for.... You have not seen snow if you habit felt with an upstate ny snowstorm.
Habit.....

I almost thought you wrote HOBIT as another poke at DRNEGRIN6....LMAO
Old 02-05-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacop View Post
Habit.....

I almost thought you wrote HOBIT as another poke at DRNEGRIN6....LMAO

I was waiting to see how far the short jokes were going to go. Hey, think about it. When you big, heavier LEOs get stuck, who do you send in? Small people like me. I still remember when some kids found a hole in a fence as a short (no pun intended) cut to get a cat that was in trouble out of a yard, police could not assist me. I was the one that went through since I was the only one small enough to get through. I called PD once I found another opening for them.

I have had a few other instances when I was the only one light-weight enough to walk on the support beams of a suspended ceiling to get a trapped cat out of a wall/roof. Hey, don't put us light-weight, short people down!! (LOL).

And yes, those NY snow storms are bad. There was one that I remember where I was driving, turned off the main road to find that my car would not move any further. I tried to get out of the car and could not open the door. The snow was half-way up the door; you could not see how high the snow was because the road took a dip. I turned into the road and next thing I know, the car was stuck and the door would not open. I had to throw my snow shovel out the car window (you did not go anywhere in upstate NY without a shovel in the car), climb out the window and dig an opening around the door. Then, I had to walk to the building where I lived at, call the sheriff (yes, the sheriff) to find out what to do since we were told we had two hours to drive in from school to home or we would be arrested if found on the streets. The order was also that any car blocking the snow plows would be towed. So....the sheriff and I came to an agreement that if we stayed near the cars, drove in circles until the plows finished cleaning, and plain and simple, stayed out of their way, we would be allowed to park in the streets until the landlords plowed out our buildings. (The landlords got to us 3 days later.) The cars that were trapped outside the parking lot drove the other residents into and out of town. (I drove the students to school.) It was basically the residents coming together to survive.

The other thing that these snowstorms remind me of is the mail delivery up there. The snowstorms got so bad that they could not land the planes for mail delivery. (The airport could only have 40 seater planes land; nothing bigger.) So...the mail was dropped to the airport in colored parachutes so the mail could be located. It sometimes took days to weeks to get your mail based on how much snow and how soon they found the parachute.
Old 02-05-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

It was 22 degrees when I left for work the other day. Warmed up to high 40's. They canceled parts of the Phoenix Open! I just wished it would snow. t was cold enough for it!

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 02-05-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-SPCA View Post
Another example of the flaws in "voice-to-text" technology...
Old 02-06-2011
Certified Posting ACO

SC-SPCA is on a distinguished road

doc were you out near cornell? I think they are the only ones who still do the mail drops...
Old 02-06-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

I'm fine, thanks for asking, kicking back in shorts and t-shirt, it's dropped to 29dec C, and I'm thinking about putting some socks on because it's less than 30

Seriously, take care and stay warm. The east coast of Australia had a cyclone the equivalent of Hurricane Katrina just this week, so it just goes to show the weather has gone mad lately.