ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-24-2011
Probationary Trainee

ladyhawke is on a distinguished road
Default Post Certified vs. Non-Post Certified

I am trying to gain some understanding on weather it is worthwhile to be POST certified in an ACO capacity vs. not having a POST certification. My ultimate goal here is to compile enough data to make a case for sending myself and the three other ACO's I work with through POST. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shel
Old 01-24-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Very worthwhile. The POST (Peace Officers standards and training) is recognized as the highest training. It is recognized in every court as being legit. We all are, required of us. We do alot with search and seizure and the knowledge I gained within post training was invaluable and ensures you do it right and legal. All post recognized training is amazing and well worth it. Take any training you can get which is post. At least all your officers should be PC832 arrest/search and seizure and the PC832 Firearms. That is if you have the authority to write citations, write warrants, search and collect evidence or confiscate animals. The firearms if you are equipped with firearms or chemical capture guns. It will help if ever challenged in court as well. If you arent performing those duties though, then I dont think it is necessary.
Old 01-24-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

From the point of view that being trained to a higher level, and being able to produce the documentation if you're ever questioned in court is a good thing then yes being POST certified makes sense.

If you want to act in more of a law enforcement capacity (i.e. make arrests) and you are not part of an existing law enforcement agency, I would say no. The amount of administrative work that goes into being an accredited law enforcement agency would be cost prohibitive.

If you are part of an existing law enforcement agency, then becoming a certified & sworn LEO makes very good sense. Depending on union contract issues, it allows for additional sworn personnel at less cost then hiring new officers off the street.
Old 01-24-2011
Certified Posting ACO

SC-SPCA is on a distinguished road

Well a major part of that would be if you currently, or plan to, handle cruelty investigations. If you are walking up to a known felons house on a cruelty call the ability to use force and take law enforcement action beyond issuing a violation is fairly critical. Would post certification allow you to carry baton, of, cuffs and firearms? What do you currently carry, and what are your policy's for it's use?

Last edited by SC-SPCA; 01-24-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling fail
Old 01-24-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a no brainer....

YES - Go get your POST CERTS.......
Old 01-25-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

A good idea if:

#1. You and you co-workers are young enough and in shape enough to handle an academy.
(Unless I'm mistaken you have to go through an academy to be POST certified)

#2. Your agency can afford to send you.

#3. Your agency can afford to be without you and your co-workers for 3 or 4 months (or whatever length the academy is). (Drawback here is they might decide they don't need you at all if they can get along without you that long. Remember everyone is cutting back).

However, if I'm out of touch and there's some way to get a POST certificate without an academy and without being away for 3 or 4 months then forget what I said. BTW, if there is a way to do that without an academy let me in on it. I might be interested in getting mine.
Old 01-25-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

To give some more info on ladyhawke's request (we're patner ACOs):

1) Yes, we work for the local PD and not a private entity contracted to do ACO work. And therefore work with POST-cert'd LEOs daily.

2) I believe our idea is to send 1-2 ACOs at a time so that there is no lapse in ACO coverage during the training time (just less hours covered in a day- 0800-2000 vs 0530-2130).

3) We do indeed serve criminal citations (infractions to felonies), issue warrants, issue and execute search warrants, etc. We already carry OC, asp, and taser. We do not carry firearms or handcuffs. We can wear vests if we desire to. We do not cite people for obstructing us, but can request a LEO to come do it (or any other criminal issue we witness) and have the person arrested, but we do not do the arresting ourselves.
Old 01-25-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

[quote=Caninelaw;101873]A good idea if:

#1. You and you co-workers are young enough and in shape enough to handle an academy.
QUOTE]

You can participate in seperate courses if allowed. Such as 832s, report writing, illegal animal fighting, baton, pepper spray, handcuffing techniques, etc. It depends on what the safety center offers and if your dept. has the authority to participate, here you must be considered a Peace Officer to participate in the classes, even if individually. We take ours class by class. I have done courses with probation, ABC, park rangers, etc.
Old 01-27-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Go for it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
A good idea if:

#2. Your agency can afford to send you.

#3. Your agency can afford to be without you and your co-workers for 3 or 4 months (or whatever length the academy is). (Drawback here is they might decide they don't need you at all if they can get along without you that long. Remember everyone is cutting back).
Back when I worked as a Part time kennel worker, (32 hours a week... in the stone ages) I attended classes 3 nights a week at our local community college (Victorville). I had to ask only a few times for some schedule variation, like when we had pistol training on Saturday afternoon, but I took level 3, then level 2 right after. I wont kid you, I was brain fried often, but SO worth it. I had to foot the bill for it. I think it was some where around $400.00 (???) for the semester. It wasn't like the police academy, where they had physical stuff required. I WAS sprayed with OC, and all sorts of other fun stuff, but no EVOC like training.
Old 01-29-2011
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

First, does your POST allow certification if your primary job is Animal Control? My state does not..... If it does, go for it! Idaho will eventually creat some felony laws relating to dogs and then it will become needed to have 'real' LEO to investigate and charge said offenses. Also investigate NACA training for specific Animal Control education. My guess is your POST has very little specific training for ACOs. I asked several of our officers how much on Animal Abuse, etc, they received at the Academy. The answer was zilch, except for a listing of the relevant state laws in a handout... Currently in Oregon the only LEO certified folks who attend the Academy are from the largest Humane Society and that took a special law and work from the Governer's office. The rest of us in Oregon are a hodge podge of non-certified enforcement folks with varying authority granted by employers. No state standerds at ALL!