ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 01-06-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road
Default Yeah of the day

I caught a dog yesterday that had no id. Took it to the pound, where the manager said she recognised her from a lost and found website for our region (not our Council lost and found site). This dog has been missing for 16 days! I called up the owner, and she just sobbed uncontrollably, and when she came out to the pound she collapsed, grazing her knees, but she didn't notice.

Her dog obviously knew her, and damn wasn't it a good feeling! In fact, I think this is the best one I've had all year

But silly me, I seem to have misplaced the paperwork Oopsie!
Old 01-06-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Years ago I had one where we had chased a dog all over the place and finally caught it in Ft. Worth. I called Ft Worth and they didn’t keep lost and found information because there were just too many to deal with. I called the humane society and asked them to check their bulletin board, but they said there was nothing there.

The dog was a black Great Dane with a white star on its chest. I happened to be at the humane society a few days later and I found a lost report from Ft. Worth on a black Great Dane with a star on the chest. I called the ol boy and he said his dog had been gone so long he was about to trash the ACK papers on it, but that he would come by and look anyway.

The dog stood well over 6’ on its hind legs, and when the owner pulled in the parking lot, he was driving one of the old Chevy Suburbans that took up two parking spaces end to end. He got out and he was a good 6’ 6” and close to 300 pounds. When he walked into the dog runs, the Dane jumped straight up to the 8’ ceiling and the owner started crying.

I felt like a thief taking the impound fee, but he would have gladly paid 10X the fee just to get his dog back.
Old 01-06-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend42 View Post
I caught a dog yesterday that had no id. Took it to the pound, where the manager said she recognised her from a lost and found website for our region (not our Council lost and found site). This dog has been missing for 16 days! I called up the owner, and she just sobbed uncontrollably, and when she came out to the pound she collapsed, grazing her knees, but she didn't notice.

Her dog obviously knew her, and damn wasn't it a good feeling! In fact, I think this is the best one I've had all year

But silly me, I seem to have misplaced the paperwork Oopsie!
Good job! Those are the moments we live for and hold onto with everything we got. Those moments are few and far between. You did good. You did good.
Old 01-06-2011
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Good on you!!!! Those are the ones that make the rest of the baloney we deal with bearable.

Like GTO, some years ago I dealt very often with a collie that liked to chase trailers. One day he vanished, the folks called me and I kept my eyes open but never spotted him. Almost two years later I got a call of a dog chasing cars downtown...sure enough, it was him! Someone had cared for him quite well, got him neutered and groomed up nice...and that someone never called to report him missing, either. Needless to say, the original owners were stunned and delighted to get him back. They built a better fence and he never got out again.
Old 01-09-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

I have a theory that if I get 1 good outcome compared to 10 crap jobs, that's a good ratio. The day I get too jaded and the good jobs don't really register is the day to call it a day. So far so good.
Old 01-09-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

So this isn't a tear-jerker or anything, but situations like this make me realise some people out there truly do care about their pets (or maybe enough so that we stop bugging them, ha).

Idaho does not have tether laws, so many people leave their dogs chained up their whole lives outside. The best we as AC can do is keep an eye on these dogs and do welfare checks on them to make sure the bare minimum is at least provided (food, water, shelter).

One dog in particular is a big white and tan pitty chained up in a non-fenced yard. I get calls on this dog every few months to check on him. Every time I talk to the owners and meet the dog, they follow my suggestions to improve various aspects of their equipment and treatment of him. Last month when we had a cold snap someone called worried the dog was cold. I left a warning on the owner's house recomending ways to improve insulation of the dog's house (with no expectation that they would do it).

A week later I get a note in the mail attached to a copy of my warning from the owners. They thanked me for the suggestions, said they love their dog and take him to the vet regularly and followed my ideas- they reinforced his dog house with better shingles and put bales of straw in and around the house.

I know it is not a lot. But this actually meant a lot to me. Even though I cannot enforce tether laws, I can at least try to make the dog's lives as tolerable as possible. Now this dog has a good-fitting harness rather than the giant chain w/ hook attached collar that used to bite into his skin that it used to have. Now he has a nice warm doggy-house and owners who care and appreciate being educated by us.
Old 01-09-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillamel View Post
I know it is not a lot. But this actually meant a lot to me. Even though I cannot enforce tether laws, I can at least try to make the dog's lives as tolerable as possible. Now this dog has a good-fitting harness rather than the giant chain w/ hook attached collar that used to bite into his skin that it used to have. Now he has a nice warm doggy-house and owners who care and appreciate being educated by us.
That's exactly how I feel. I felt quite helpless as a vet. since all I could do was to educate people when I saw things in the vet. hospital. Where they doing my suggests or not? I did not know since most people do not come back to the vet. office until the following year, unless something happens to the animal.

I have had ACOs tell me that they don't understand why a vet. does not turn in people that they suspect are abusing animals. We ethically can't unless there is clear cut evidence of abuse; or the owner basically tells us that they beat their animal (which does not happen). If we report it, we can be charged potentially for reporting. The law is beginning to change where, at least in NJ, veterinarians are going to be required to report abuse if they see it.

I was just notified by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) that the Veterinary Practice Act is being modified and they want input from vets. I am going to request that they make it mandatory that vets. report abuse and that there would be no action taken against a veterinarian for reporting abuse, even if it was an error. (For example, the veterinarian believes that animal is being beaten since the dog covers every time someone approaches the head and there are bruises, etc. consistent with beatings.) Hey, anyone can make a mistake but the animal cannot speak for themselves and someone needs to report suspected abuse.

The only problem I see with what I just said is that the people who are abusing animals will be even less inclined to bring the animal to a vet. if they seriously hurt it. (But then again, they probably would not bring it to the vet. anyway.) The problem comes in the person who accidentally hurt there animal and then is afraid that the vet. is going to accuse them of hurting the dog. For example, I had a man that accidentally dragged his dog with his car because his kids tied the dog to his car's bumper and he did not see the dog. Luckily, a Good Samaritan forced the man to pull over and got him to pick up the dog and get the dog to me. I could tell from the expression on the man's face that he did not mean for this to occur; in fact, I had to call his wife to pick him up from my office since he was hysterical. A good doctor should be able to tell the difference between an accident and abuse. So, should a good ACO/ACI.

I can now do a little more as an ACO in public to educate. I mostly do this from fairs held by my municipality since there is not much work for me as an ACO in that municipality. (I guess, that is a good thing for the animals, but I really wish I could do more in the areas that really need education. Unfortunately, those are the areas where the ACO is usually not present, or only gives citations without educating the people as to what they are doing wrong. The people continue to make the same mistakes or have their pets permanently removed by the ACO; then later get another pet and the cycle starts all over again.