KBhomes is on a distinguished road

Well that was kind. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend42 View Post
If they don't take you on, they're not worth working for! Won't say good luck, because you shouldn't need it!
Caffiend42 is so right. The groups that I have stayed with have all been good and worth working with. The few that hired me and either let me go or I left, they really were not worth being with. I should have left sooner but stayed for the animals. The only one that suffered for it was me. I'm so glad I'm out of there. I can now concentrate my efforts on the groups that I'm assisting now and adding a few more if they would like the help.

Hope you get the job but more importantly, hope this is the right fit for you.
Old 01-10-2011
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Isn't the State of Californnnniaaa bankrupt or at least damn close to it or are they doing like the fed and printing their own currency too?
Old 01-10-2011
Probationary Trainee

A bit of bad news, a tad off topic however. The reason I've been so anxious about the position is because my husband and I found the perfect home. Not only would this position be the perfect next step in my career, but it would also make affording more expensive house payments much more comfortable. Unfortunately, we've just found out that someone offered a higher bid on the home than us, and we're no longer in the running for the home.

This would have been so wonderful... Prime location for a dog training ranch, and right in city limits (out just a little in the country) making dog training and boarding, and working for the city perfect.

I've been on a cloud for the past month, a shiny new home, dream job, a happier, healthier family and life. I'm a little on the down side right now... Guess it's back to the drawing board. Shake it off right?
Old 01-10-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBhomes View Post
A bit of bad news, I'm a little on the down side right now... Guess it's back to the drawing board. Shake it off right?
Sorry to hear the news....

Your right though - shake it off, Stay focused and stay in the "Fight" and things will work out.....

Trust me - after the wife lost her job and then I lost mine, with two kids at home I was begining to wonder what was gonna happen. We stayed positive, I ended up getting plenty of job offers and we chose the place to "land", moved out of state and things have been damn good...

They'll work out for you too.......
Old 01-28-2011
Probationary Trainee

Guess what guys! I got the interview. I am meeting with the Commander on Tuesday.

Is there anything that I should be specifically prepared for? What exactly will he be looking for? Is there anything that I need to study up on, questions that I need prepare for?

In my city there are only 2 people who work as ACO's for my whole city. One person left, so they are looking to replace that person. This was also an entry level position, with no experience required.
Old 01-28-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is there anything that I should be specifically prepared for? What exactly will he be looking for?
Cover up any tattoos you may have. When my supervisors saw mine about 6mo after hire, they told me if I hadnt covered them up in the interveiw they would not have hired me. Gotta love long sleeves in California summers haha
Old 01-28-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Is there anything that I should be specifically prepared for? What exactly will he be looking for? Is there anything that I need to study up on, questions that I need prepare for?
Honesty is the best policy. If they don't like what you have to say, it is best that you don't work there. You would forever be fighting the system if you and the "power that be" don't like each other.

I'll give you an example from my interview for a municipal job. It started off with my telling the receptionist that I was there for the ACO interview. I did not know that the man in the suit next to me was the Health Officer's boss (the Health Director). He made some comments to me to see how I would react. I treated him cordially, neither being insulting but not really backing down either.

I went in and hit it off with the Health Officer. I was hired on the spot. She asked me what I thought of her boss, which I responded, who is he? She said the tall man in the suit outside the office. I hesitated a moment and basically said that we really did not talk much but he seemed interested in getting to know who I was.

After that, we went outside to look at the ACO vehicle. The ACO vehicle was fully stocked and a beautiful vehicle. The only problem with it was that the signage was not right. She asked me what did I think of the truck. I told her that the vehicle was great but the signage was not up to code....then I covered my mouth because it just slipped out. I was hoping she did not hear me....she asked me what did I say. I thought, that's it, I lost the job. I repeated myself and she wanted to know where in the statutes did it say that the truck was not up to code. I quoted the statute and sent her a copy, as she requested. I was hired for my honesty.

Our health officer got lucky....my partner is also very honest and law-abiding as well. She actually reminds me of myself when I was her age. We think similarly and are out for the best interest of the animals. Knock on wood, she and I (as well as our health officer) have always agreed in whatever decision was made regarding the situation that we have on hand.

So, I'm pleased with the municipality that I work for. I believe that being honest helped me land the job since my health officer trusts my decisions.

Also, if you have certificates for any of training that you have, bring it with you. I had sent my resume when I applied and brought the documentations to prove my qualifications. In other words, I looked prepared for the position that I was applying for.
Old 01-28-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

study your states cruelty laws over the weekend