ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-04-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

For the life of me I canít figure out how yíall make it out there. I saw a report once comparing income by location, and the average income in Dallas was just about equal to the average income in L. A., but the cost of living in L. A. can be as much as 4X the cost of living in the DF/W area.
Old 01-04-2011
Probationary Trainee

KBhomes is on a distinguished road

When I decided to move to MO, the determining factor was that I could buy a nice home on 15 acres for $100,000. I just can't imagine...
Old 01-04-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Another factor to figure is state income tax. I have known people from CA to move here and complain because the hourly pay is less, even though the take home is more because we donít have a state income tax. Also, its not that hard to find a 2,000 sq. ft. house here for $125K, how does that stack up with CA real estate?
yeah I lose around $3,000 a year to state tax, not to mention how much I pay at the register, I think it is 9 cents a dollar or so. Homes here are expensive, unless you want a foreclosed hom that squatters have been living (destroying) in for months...we have plenty of those at $70,000
Old 01-04-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

One thing that I know that was appreciated in the interview process for ACOs here was that they realised A LOT of their job is educating the public. You would be surprised how ignorant most dog (and other animal) owners are about their own animals/pets.

Ex:
ACO- is your dog spayed?
Public- I dunno. How would I tell?
ACO- Has your dog ever been in heat?
Public- I dunno. What does that look like?
ACO- Did you know it is an offense to leave a dog in heat outside unattended? Intact males can smell her for miles around and will come visit you.
Public- Really? I had no idea.

Or another and one of my favs
ACO- I was called out here for a report of dogs barking all day.
Public- Nope, not my dogs. They don't bark.
ACO- Do you leave your dogs outside while you are at work?
Public- Yes.
ACO- Do you know what your dogs are doing while you are gone?
Public- Well...no.
ACO- Try to figure out how to prevent your dogs from barking all day, take them for a walk in the morning, interact with them, bring them in, get them bark collars. If this problem continues it could be a misdemeanor.
Public- Psh, Go***amned neighbors! It's all their fault! Tell me who turned me in? Their dogs bark all the time, too. Go give them a ticket, blah blah blah....*door slam*

Also emphasise conflict resolution. You will be doing this A LOT. Lots of people use Animal Control to mediate conflicts between each other, including non-animal related things. Be assertive and able to stand your ground, but also know when a good time to leave is, too. Also, I remember this from my interview- be able to admit when you do not know the answer. NEVER make up information to answer a question you are unsure about. It is ok to say you do not know (just let them know you'll research the answer and get back to them).
Old 01-04-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
For the life of me I canít figure out how yíall make it out there. I saw a report once comparing income by location, and the average income in Dallas was just about equal to the average income in L. A., but the cost of living in L. A. can be as much as 4X the cost of living in the DF/W area.

Depending on what County, City, or area. Houses in the Ca. mountains I worked for 7 years were running on average $200.00 a sq ft on a VERY small lot, and chances are, no coveted garage. Lakefront with a dock, were 2 million PLUS, or next to Ron Howard, Shirley Jones, Kevin Costner, Jonny Tapia or Oscar De La Hoya (boxer) Ran quite a bit more.
Palm Springs area (Where Elvis, President Ford, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, etc once lived) got so high that many sold their house and moved to the Morongo Basin, and commuted because they could get a NICE new 4-5 bedroom house for 200,000 about 40 minutes away.
DOn't know about Riverside, Ontario, or Orange County. (OC is a nice area, and where John Wayne settled!)
A friend of my wife was renting a house ~with 4 others~ in Brentwood (OJ murders) and each had to pitch in 800.00 plus utilities. According to my wife, they couldn't pay the rent fast enough, it was so cheap.
Old 01-05-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

REMEMBER: ACOs work with people as often -- if not more often -- than they do animals. Make sure you highlight your people skills.

Also, this isn't always a feel-good save-the-animals-from-bad-people position. Most of my calls are feral cats, dogs RAL, no leash on the beach/in the parks, and barking/pooping disputes between neighbors. I sat on the interview board for the last ACO hired. When asked "What do you think your job would be as ACO" HALF of them said rescuing animals -- that half was was the first cut. The Chief felt that their expectations were unrealistic and they would be unhappy here.

Instead of watching Animal Cops (it's a lot of creative editing anyway), take a local ACO to lunch and interview him/her. Ask "What is you typical day like?" You may be surprised. Research your local ordinances (Is there a leash law for cats? Is there a limit to how many animals a person can have? Does the city require tags?). You can learn a lot about the culture of a city by it's animal laws. Also know, when push comes to shove you must always chose people over animals.

GOOD LUCK!!

Also, I've seen many of your questions asked a lot over the past 5-6 years. The answers contained some real gems. If you have the time, research the archives.
Old 01-08-2011
Probationary Trainee

Thank you all so much. I delayed sending my resume in so that I could spend another week researching the position, and talking with those who have already been through the experience. I'm nearly finished with my final edit. The more I learn about this profession, the more I want to be a part of it, and it's special community of workers.

things that I've highlighted in my resume: Previous positions involving conflict resolution, and natural people skills. My degree in Communication and Human Resources. My ability to remain emotionally sound in trying situations, and perform under pressure. My history of volunteer work with shelters and the community, and my career as a Obedience Trainer. I've also included information regarding my previous position as a book-keeper/receptionist, hoping to highlight my natural tendency toward detail management.

Any last minute suggestions?
Old 01-08-2011
Forum Friend

Breal76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you asked to go on a ride along? It might be helpful.
Old 01-08-2011
Probationary Trainee

I can do that.
Old 01-09-2011
Certified Posting ACO

caffiend42 is on a distinguished road

If they don't take you on, they're not worth working for! Won't say good luck, because you shouldn't need it!