ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-03-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
Am I out of touch or something? $11.89 an hour to max of $13.38 an hour seems a little low to me. Seems like most of the ACO jobs I'm seeing lately are around this range.
Yes. So it appears.
Old 01-03-2011
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBhomes View Post
I appreciate all of your advice! I will work on my resume. What should I wear to drop it off/interview? Is matching stationary too overboard?
Something professional....
Matching stationary could show attention to detail. (???)

Quote:
Sedalia is a fairly small town, and they have very little toward animal care..... It wouldn't be much of a stretch to think there's not much left in the budget for a larger salary.
For a city so small, I have little doubt that there would be money available if they sat down and simply budgeted it that way.
Thanks in part to checking other cities pay, and them all paying so little, it has set a precedence that it is the "acceptable" and Going rate.

I watched as the County I worked for, whined about how broke they were, and even got the whole County to pull together and "furlow" (IE: work 40, get paid for 32, get 8 hours comp time, that you would lose if you didn't take it in 12 months!) to help keep our jobs. Job hiring freeze, Pay freeze (not even COLA increase), little to no repairs to vehicles, and "no money" for cat litter, bleach, mop heads, or blue juice. Then they bought all the offices throughout the county NEW $500.00 office chairs, and gave the director and a few other higher ups, a New County vehicle to drive... and a staggering pay increase....
Either way...... Good luck to you and keep us posted on the outcome!
Old 01-03-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Depends where you work. City ACO jobs in my area are usually 15.00-30.00 p/hr depending where and at what step. Counties seem to pay a little less here. We top out around at $31.00p/hr and if you throw in standby and OT, one of our officers took home $68,000 last year. Cost of living is high here though, we make more then the LEO's in alot of places. Our Police are making around $70,000 base salary.
Old 01-03-2011

We did get hit with 8hr a month furlough, no raises for 2 years and no COLA for two years. The guys who are topped out don't mind, I am about halfway up the pay scale so it totally sucks for me.
Old 01-03-2011
Forum Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Depends where you work. City ACO jobs in my area are usually 15.00-30.00 p/hr depending where and at what step. Counties seem to pay a little less here. We top out around at $31.00p/hr and if you throw in standby and OT, one of our officers took home $68,000 last year. Cost of living is high here though, we make more then the LEO's in alot of places. Our Police are making around $70,000 base salary.
Yes, you are correct. I was in So Cal, and for 3 years in a row, I was the top grossing ACO, even besting the senior ACO, with being "D stepped" and an on call junkie like me. Our County tops out around $22.00 an hour, last I heard, plus on call, pager pay, and callbacks. And when you get 4-6 callbacks and a good 20 hours on call a week, it racks up.
Old 01-04-2011
Probationary Trainee

KBhomes is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your help guys. I'm going to hand in my application tomorrow. It looks like nothing will be decided until the 14th. I am excited to see where this opportunity will take me and my family.
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBhomes View Post
Thank you for your help guys. I'm going to hand in my application tomorrow. It looks like nothing will be decided until the 14th. I am excited to see where this opportunity will take me and my family.
I tell you what, after looking at your experience I would be confident that you could do a good job for me (if I was a supervisor haha) Alot of this profession is education, education, education. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge and shelter experience is huge. You got that volunteering which shows you want to be here and know what to expect in the shelter. This profession is one of the toughest out there, if it beats you up at first don't feel you don't belong. After two days (first dog euth'd while fighting for his life in front of me) I called my mother and told her "this isn't the job for me" and she told that is why it is the job for me and I have developed ways to balance the good and bad, I have been here close to five years now. While it still hurts tremendesly to see and participate in things like that. We do so much good, I could never look away and leave this to do something else...no matter what I say sometimes haha
Old 01-04-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Yeah...that's more like what I'm talkin' about...
Old 01-04-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Another factor to figure is state income tax. I have known people from CA to move here and complain because the hourly pay is less, even though the take home is more because we donít have a state income tax. Also, its not that hard to find a 2,000 sq. ft. house here for $125K, how does that stack up with CA real estate?
Old 01-04-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Another factor to figure is state income tax. I have known people from CA to move here and complain because the hourly pay is less, even though the take home is more because we donít have a state income tax. Also, its not that hard to find a 2,000 sq. ft. house here for $125K, how does that stack up with CA real estate?
Yeah...that'd be about $485,000 out here currently.