ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 01-13-2011
Shelter Survivor

fyrdawg207 is on a distinguished road

G_rath,

I'm sorry but you will never win a "Most Hated" contest, as long as Flint is in the running.

Stay Safe

Fyr
Old 01-13-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Just had to say something about the comments of how people act when in public. The only time that I had confrontations with people (crowds in particular) prior to becoming an ACO, was when I do rabies clinics. For this one town, I always have a problem getting to the clinic since it is held right after my office hours. The problem is physically getting into the lot to park my car. The crowds are outside the gates which is about a half a block from the door to the driveway street entrance.

Every time I come as the vet., I try to get my car through the gates which takes usually 10-15 minutes since no one wants to make room to let my car in. They keep yelling, "the lot is full, you can't come in." I keep telling them that I'm working for the municipality and have a reserved place. It is worse than a crawl to get the car in since the people won't move. Last year, I had a woman in the car that completely blocked the driveway; I had to keep honking the horn to get her to move at all. She got up to the second gate that is for the municipal employees only (the lot I had to get into) and just blocked the entrance completely. The woman and her husban who was on line with the dog, kept cursing at me since they felt that they had no where else to go (but they should not have been there in the first place). The man approached me window and I had to tell him that if she did not move the car, I was going to have to call the police (who where already inside waiting for me to start the clinic). He got the woman to pull over; I parked the car.

The part that was funny is that normally, once I get the car parked, then I have to struggle to get through the crowd who starts yelling, cursing and some times pushing me to not cut the line, not realizing that I'm the vet., even though I'm in a veterinarian's uniform. Last year, right after I managed to park the car and was now very late to the clinic, I started running for the door with my ACO equipment (snare pole, gloves, towels, etc) in case an animal escapes since I have police back up but no ACO for help at the clinic. It was like the parting of the seas. I was running towards the Health Officer and the crowd just parted and let me through. I began vaccinating animals for a good 10 minutes before I realized what had happened.... I was at a meeting that day so I was in my ACO uniform. The crowd thought they saw an ACO running into a rabies clinic; not the vet. who is also an ACO. They moved quickly thinking that I was there to capture a dog, not to vaccinate the animals...

So, I have probably heard worse as a vet. than I have as an ACO so far. It could also be that most of the time when I am called out as the ACO, it is mostly when I have a rescue to perform and not so much for confiscating animals or giving citations. My partner is usually the one to follow up if there was a violation that was discovered on one of my cases.
Old 01-14-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Dumb question time. Do you tell the people blocking the way that you are the vet?
Old 01-14-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Dumb question time. Do you tell the people blocking the way that you are the vet?
"I don't care how many wars you fought in; you're not cutting in line!" LOL!
Old 01-14-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post

Let's see. You see someone wearing a doctor's jacket, a stethoscope, carrying a snare pole, thick elkhide gloves, a medical bag, towels, a first aid kit and yelling "Could I get through? I'm the vet. that's running the clinic." Do you think that who I am is obvious enough?

On the other hand, when I wear the ACO uniform, I just say, "Could I get through? I'm working here" and everyone literally jumps out of my way. Maybe they are afraid I'll give them a citation or something if they don't move. LOL!
Old 01-14-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

im a rude New Yorker i just plow through heck i even do that at walmart when people say thats rude i say if you would learn to walk or step to the side when you stop i wouldnt have to be an A$$
Old 01-14-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcop51 View Post
im a rude New Yorker i just plow through heck i even do that at walmart when people say thats rude i say if you would learn to walk or step to the side when you stop i wouldnt have to be an A$$
I'm a native New Yorker (born in Manhattan). I grew up in Elizabeth and anyone who knows the area knows that you pretty much have the New York attitude when you live there.

When you become a professional, you learn to hide the attitude since you have to conduct yourself to a higher level. It is funny; I pretty much act professional when I'm working as an ACO as well.

A few months ago though, I went on a call with my partner. She works days; I usually work the nights and weekends. We were going to pick up a dog and we were going to be out numbered. Police had not arrived yet. My partner was being sassed; I got overly protected and the New Yorker side of me came out. We got the dog and got out of there before anything happened. I would not back down to these rude people who just would not let my partner do her job. (As the day time officer, she is the one who gives out the citations, confiscates animals, etc. I was watching her to see what she was saying/doing since this was the first time that I was involved in taking a dog other than those RAL in this municipality.)

So, as small as I am, I learned to protect myself when necessary and act assertive when necessary. It comes out a lot more when I'm in the ACO uniform than when I'm acting as the vet. I have been grabbed a few times; once when I was in neither uniform. I have defended myself which have shocked people due to my size. (I'm only 5' 2" and weigh about 94 lbs.)
Old 01-14-2011
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

only differnce when im in professional mode i say scuse me scuse me HEY COMING THROUGH!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
When you become a professional, you learn to hide the attitude since you have to conduct yourself to a higher level.
Would someone please tell that to Bloomberg?
Old 01-14-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
Would someone please tell that to Bloomberg?
Hey, that's the way you're supposed to act; not everyone follows the rules.